X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• c.d.
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post

Maybrick took arsenic as an aphrodisiac.

My personal view is that he died because he wasn't getting his daily dose of arsenic, rather than that Florence poisoned him.

Best regards

Chris
    Hello Chris,

Yes, the defense presented several witnesses who testified to his consuming arsenic on a regular basis.

c.d.

Leave a comment:

• c.d.
    replied
    Originally posted by DJA View Post
    Did the book have much on Thomas Stevenson's part in the trial as the toxicologist?

Studied and taught at Guy's Hospital during Gull's time.

Toxicologist at Saint Leonards Vestry Board with Henry Gawen Sutton,where Mary Kelly's body was kept during the inquest.

Also toxicologist in the Cream,Chapman and Barlett cases.
    Hello Dave,

Yes, his testimony is given in the book along with numerous doctors and experts. Very hard to keep their testimony straight and their conclusions differed.

c.d.

Leave a comment:

• DJA
    replied
    Did the book have much on Thomas Stevenson's part in the trial as the toxicologist?

Studied and taught at Guy's Hospital during Gull's time.

Toxicologist at Saint Leonards Vestry Board with Henry Gawen Sutton,where Mary Kelly's body was kept during the inquest.

Also toxicologist in the Cream,Chapman and Barlett cases.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisGeorge
    replied
    Originally posted by c.d. View Post
    Just finished the book "Did She Kill Him?" by Kate Colquhoun about the trial of Florence Maybrick who was found guilty of murdering her husband James by giving him arsenic. I really enjoyed the book. My personal view is that Florence was not guilty of the crime and that the verdict was a huge miscarriage of justice. A great look at the rather sordid underbelly of Victorian marriage and society. . . .

c.d.
    Maybrick took arsenic as an aphrodisiac.

My personal view is that he died because he wasn't getting his daily dose of arsenic, rather than that Florence poisoned him.

Best regards

Chris

Leave a comment:

• c.d.
    started a topic The Murder Trial of Florence Maybrick

The Murder Trial of Florence Maybrick

Just finished the book "Did She Kill Him?" by Kate Colquhoun about the trial of Florence Maybrick who was found guilty of murdering her husband James by giving him arsenic. I really enjoyed the book. My personal view is that Florence was not guilty of the crime and that the verdict was a huge miscarriage of justice. A great look at the rather sordid underbelly of Victorian marriage and society. The author goes off on tangents now and then regarding feminism and the role of women but all in all a really good book and I definitely recommend it. I didn't realize that her trial was sort of the O.J. Simpson trial of its time.

Nothing really Ripper related in the book. James Maybrick certainly doesn't come off too well in it. A hypochondriac addicted to self medication including arsenic. Had at least one mistress and slapped Florence around on at least one occasion.

If Maybrick was the Ripper there is at least some poetic justice in that doctors performed an autopsy on his body shortly after death in his own bedroom. Later his body was dug up from his grave and further tests were performed on it.

c.d.
Working...
X