Harry Houdini Murdered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry Houdini Murdered?

Watched an episode of "Brad Meltzer's Decoded" tv program. His team investigated the possibility that Houdini's death was not accidental but in fact was murder. Apparently Houdini made a lot of enemies among spiritualists for debunking their lucrative seances. A couple of interesting things did emerge from the show. Apparently Houdini had an affair while he was married with the wife of Jack London after Jack's death. Also, he and Arthur Conan Doyle were close friends. Doyle was an ardent believer in spiritualism. When Houdini explained to him the tricks used in seances Doyle refused to believe him and their friendship dissolved.

c.d.

I'd be more suspicious about some of Meltzer's theories than how Houdini died.
    The conventional story seems quite legitimate to me.
    On October 24, 1926, the famed magician Harry Houdini finished a show, walked off the stage, and collapsed. The above-mentioned “delay in applying for medical
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Hello Wick,

Agreed. Meltzer's M.O. seems to be to establish some sort of motive and then interpret everything in light of that motive. Once you have motive then everything no matter how innocuous becomes suspicious.

c.d.

Comment

I should have added that according to Meltzer there were no records of the "college student" who hit Houdini ever attending that particular college. No autopsy was performed and mo medical records released. Also, Houdini's wife collected extra on an insurance policy for accidental death and supposedly paid the "student" who hit him $200 to say that it was an accident.

c.d.

Comment

Accepting the report that Houdini was diagnosed with acute appendicitis, then from my experience (having been diagnosed with the same in my younger years), I know he was not suffering from this in the days leading up to his death.
          In the latter stages the pain is so intense that you are perpetually crouched up in a fetal position. There is no way Houdini, or anyone, could work or even walk, in an upright stance. So, prior to him collapsing it is clear to me that he was not in the acute stage.
          Something occurred very suddenly to cause the appendix to rupture, likely some physical action involving his abdomen. Which is consistent with a physical blow.
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Hello Wick,

Meltzer's allegation was that the "college student" who hit him was paid to do so and deliberately intended to hit him before he could prepare himself.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
              Hello Wick,

Meltzer's allegation was that the "college student" who hit him was paid to do so and deliberately intended to hit him before he could prepare himself.

c.d.
              With what intent, to knock the wind out of him?
              Why would you pay someone to do that?

The actual result could not possibly have been anticipated, which is why Meltzer is just off on another one of his fringe theories.
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
              X