2012 Olympics in London, the Definitive Olympic Sports List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Olympics in London, the Definitive Olympic Sports List

Okay, at the risk of being verbally humiliated, I am putting out a list of sports that I think really belong in the Olympics as well as a few that I think need to be tossed out on their ears. Agree or disagree, I'm right and you're wrong.

In:

Athletics, Fencing, Rowing, Swimming, Sailing, weightlifting

On the cusp: Boxing, wrestling, judo, cycling

Out on their ears: Rhythmic gymnastics, shooting, table tennis, equestrian

My issues with the martial art events is that there are too many of them, and why Judo over Jiu-Jitsu and why Taekwondo over 100s of others. A mixed martial arts thing would be best.

All the things I've listed as IN are limited to individuals and very small teams which I think incorporates the spirit of the originals. I would also love to see drama and art competitions as well.

Mike
    huh?

I don't see boxing belonging to the Olympics, the way that most snowboarders don't see our sport belonging there either (in the Winter Olympics), esp. since the qualifying events are organized in a stranglehold by the FIS, who have NO clue whatsoever about snowboarding. In 2 years slopestyle will be included in the Winter Olympics for the first time ever. Curious to see whom FIS will let qualify.
    I suspect that martial arts people are divided in their opinion of the Olympics, the way boardsportlers are.
    I think that gymnastics and figure skating traditionally belong to the Olympics, and athletics and swimming too.
    Best regards,
    Maria

Comment

Hi Mike.

Your choices seem to be dictated by personal preference rather than logic.

Why in the world would you throw out Equestrian but keep Sailing? Equestrian is one of my favorite events, though we get to see little of it in the U.S.

Personally, I'd throw out Ribbon-Tossing (or Rhythmic Gymnastics or whatever it's called) and Synchronized Swimming. I don't care for mainstream Boxing, but I've seen some superb Olympic Boxing; I'd keep it.

I'm not sure how Table-Tennis ever got in the Olympics; why not Billiards?? I'd much rather watch a good game of pool.

I do think it's important to retain a wide range of sports that give athletes from all over the world - from poorer countries as well as from wealthy countries - a chance to compete.

Best regards,
      Archaic

Comment

Archaic,

Not preference. I don't like sailing or rowing at all. I think they are more connected to the ancient Greek traditions because of the triremes and sailing ships that were all over the Aegean. I think horse racing would be traditional perhaps, maybe some jumping, but I don't like to see animals mistreated, so I'm not interested in them. Modern equestrian is rather silly to me.

Mike
        huh?

Comment

An Inspiring Example

Hi Mike.

I happen to like Olympic Rowing- maybe because my gr.gr.gr.-(I forget how many greats)-grandpa and another relative started the Henley Regatta. (The Coopers of Henley-On-Thames; they also one one of the first races.) Rowing is a traditional university & Olympic sport, and I think it's important to continue those traditions.

As for Olympic Equestrian events vs. Horse Racing, horse racing is a money-making business with a long history of abuses. The horses are only there to run as fast as possible and earn lots of money for their wealthy owners. Because of this they are seldom trained to be any kind of riding horse; they're usually considered too high-strung and unmanageable. If they fail at racing- which the vast majority do- they often go straight to slaughter. Others are just dumped, and end up starved and abused. (I have a couple of friends who have rescued failed racehorses; they have to work very hard at rehabilitating them, calming them down, and gaining their trust. One has become ridable, but the other has not.)

By contrast, the horses involved in Olympic events get the absolute best care imaginable, and they also get the devoted love and companionship of their rider. Contrary to common belief, few horses are naturally bold; in their natural state they are prey animals like deer. In order to be ridden, and in particular to compete, horses have to share a bond of trust with their rider. If you watch Show Jumping or Cross Country, you'll see the phenomenal trust that the horse has in its rider, which is what allows it to boldly face a high fence when it can't even see what's on the other side. If you watch Dressage you'll see it's the most exquisite ballet between a human being and their horse. The level of communication and athleticism involved is phenomenal.

This year I'm rooting for an Australian-American named Boyd Martin who's riding for the U.S. team. He's an inspiration, and his horse 'Neville Bardos' is a walking miracle.

Neville was just another failed race horse, and Martin personally saved from going to slaughter. He didn't cost thousands of dollars; he was priced as dog food at $800. Neville had all kinds of nervous habits left over from being a racehorse, but Martin didn't give up on him. Instead he worked intensively with Neville and discovered he was a very rare thing: a natural Eventing Horse. Once considered a throw-away animal to be priced by the pound, Neville stunned everybody by becoming one of the highest ranked 3-Day Eventing champions in the world.

Then a year ago disaster struck: Neville was trapped in a horrible barn fire that killed six other horses. His owner Boyd Martin ran past the firefighters who tried to stop him and into the burning barn, where he finally found Neville in the black smoke. Because Neville trusted him, Martin was able to lead him to safety. Neville survived, but he was burned and had seriously injured his lungs by breathing in the smoke. He was considered to have permanent lung damage that would keep him from ever competing again. Everyone thought his Olympic hopes were over- but he miraculously battled back and began winning again.

Now Boyd Martin and Neville are ready to compete as members of the U.S. Equestrian Team.

If that isn't an inspiring example of the Olympic spirit, I don't know what is.

Best regards,
          Archaic
          Attached Files

Comment

I was very disappointed the first time I watched fencing. I thought I'd see duels like the one at the end of 'Scaramouche,' but nope.

Comment

Personally I'd like to see Olympic Tiddleywinks - The tactical choices (eg Boondocks and Bristols etc) can be fascinating...and it can be played solo, doubles or teams.

Mixed doubles Bar Billiards would be another great option...with a compulsory last shot on the 200 sink to make life interesting...see below...my old oppo Terry Race appears twice...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_billiards

Another great choice would perhaps be Synchronised ladies Piano Smashing.

You'll gather from the above that I'm fed up to the back teeth with the degree of televised sports coverage and am hence dreading the Olympics...I'm seriously considering hibernation or it's summer equivalent...

grouch grouch moan groan

Dave

Comment

They're called Olympic Games so I guess things like billiards don't contravene the title. But I have heard snooker players refer to their game as a sport, when it surely isn't - it's a game, like chess or bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
                  My issues with the martial art events is that there are too many of them, and why Judo over Jiu-Jitsu and why Taekwondo over 100s of others. A mixed martial arts thing would be best.

Mike
                  It's my understanding that Judo and Jiu-Jitsu are basically the same thing, just viewed in different ways. In Japanese, "do" means "the way of" and "jitsu" or "jutsu" means "the art of." Thus, to view it as an art is to see it as more of a learned skill while to view it as a "way" elevates it to a spiritual way of life. If the Olympics uses the term Judo, it may be simply a matter of it being a simpler sounding word to present to a world audience, while Jiu-Jitsu would be more accurate for this martial art being used as a sport.

Comment

Working...
                  X