Anatomical Museum: 19th C. Preserved Tattoos of the Dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anatomical Museum: 19th C. Preserved Tattoos of the Dead

Interesting article & slideshow showing preserved 19th C. tattoos from anatomical museums ...yes, they're tattoos on preserved human skin that was cut from dead bodies over a hundred years ago. What a weird collection!

I'm not a particular fan of tattoos, but think this is interesting from a historical viewpoint. I like the naiveté of some of them, such as the tattoos of old-fashioned circus performers.

Best regards,
    Archaic

PS: Thanks to Ally for the news link that led me to this story.

Fascinating! Had not seen that before.

What a pity they did not show the photo of the one guy when he was still alive.

For the modern counterparts, look here: http://ugliesttattoos.failblog.org/

Comment

Hi K, glad you found the 19th C. tattoos interesting. Personally I like them much better than new ones.

Sorry, I'm afraid I only made it to about page 5 of your link to "Ugliest Tattoos". They were too ugly.

Misspelled tattoos always crack me up. Somebody needs to invent a Spellcheck for tattoo needles.

The only tattoos I kind of liked were the cartoon cats (though why cover your arm in dozens of permanently-inked-into-the-skin-cats??) and the Utzi the Ice man tattoo. -Glad she just copied his ancient tattoos, and didn't have an image of his poor frozen body with one arm going the wrong way tattooed across her chest!

Cheers,
      Archaic

Comment

: http://ugliesttattoos.failblog.org/[/QUOTE]

My fave is the bloke on page 6 who had the word 'hair' tattooed on his bald spot !!
        http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Huh??

Can anybody explain this photo?

Did the guy actually have bones removed from his hands so he could make them resemble skulls?

I'm baffled.

Thanks,
          Archaic
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
            Can anybody explain this photo?

Did the guy actually have bones removed from his hands so he could make them resemble skulls?

I'm baffled.

Thanks,
            Archaic
            Hi Archaic,

At the base of each hand he has what appears to be a recent wound. Is it possible that some maleable substance was pushed under the skin to the top of each hand and then 'molded' by pressing into the shapes of skulls?

Carol

Comment

Reminds me of this, by the way.

- Archaic, in cases like the one above objects from metal or silicone are pushed under the skin. The most common bod-mod of this kind consists of fake devil's horns.

Comment

Originally posted by K-453 View Post
                - Archaic, in cases like the one above objects from metal or silicone are pushed under the skin. The most common bod-mod of this kind consists of fake devil's horns.
                I'm a stickler for realism, so I'm busy growing real devil's horns.

Archaic

PS: Thanks K & Carol. I'm thinking of trying that other "bod mod" technique on my face. Maybe just take out a few bones here and there until I look like a skull.
                Last edited by Archaic; 07-27-2012, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X