Scottish Referendum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robert View Post
    I thought the Jacobite rebellion was basically a Highland thing - the Lowlanders didn't want to know.
    Indeed - got this from David Balfour.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
      I thought the Jacobite rebellion was basically a Highland thing - the Lowlanders didn't want to know.
      This is largely true. Even in the Highlands the rebellion was sporadic. The clans loyal to the King had surrendered their weaponry to the authorities. The clans who rose up had not. The clans who could have stopped the rebellion in its tracks were therefore outgunned from the very beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
        Jason, I was not talking too seriously, and I don't know what's good for Scotland and Great Britain.
        I usually support local cultures, traditions, regional languages, etc, but at the same time I regret Yougoslavia and Tchecoslovaquia. I'll thus let the Scots (and the others, see Robert's first post) decide.
        No apologies needed. I could tell by your "Vive les Jacobites" comment that you were joking.

Anyway, I better go sharpen my Claymore, I may be needing it soon.

Comment

Scotsman's weapon

Hello Robert, Jason. I'd go get my battle axe--but she's busy in the kitchen. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

Originally posted by jason_c View Post
            Apologies. The future of my country has got me a tad edgy. The last thing I needed was Heinrich the Bruce winding me up with his misty eyed, bare arsed romanticism of Scottish history.
            The truth can hurt, Jason, but, in the end, it will set the Scots free.

Comment

Robert the Bruce and William Wallace? Oh yeah, good Norman stock. Everyone's related. The Scots are really Irish. The Irish are really Celtiberians, and the Celtiberians are probably Cimmerians. The Normans were Norse, the Norse were probably from the Ukraine and they all came north from the fertile crescent. No one is friggin' different except in their closed, simple minds.

Mike
              huh?

Comment

So closed and simple minds that one wonders why you want to unite and mix up with them so badly, instead of letting them go.

Comment

So closed and simple minds that one wonders why you want to unite and mix up with them so badly, instead of letting them go.
                  I want all people mixed up so much that they finally realize they are people first and foremost.

Mike
                  huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Heinrich View Post
                    The truth can hurt, Jason, but, in the end, it will set the Scots free.
                    Dont flatter yourself.

Every opinion poll says differently. As does Alex Salmond's tactic of putting off the referendum as far as possible and adding a 3rd option of Devolution max to it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
                      I want all people mixed up so much that they finally realize they are people first and foremost.

Mike
                      What a candid nightmare, Mike.
                      It's because you know you are human that you call yourself a Scot or a Papoo, and hence the many tribes or peoples that call themselves something meaning "Human" or "Human-something".
                      Last edited by DVV; 01-18-2012, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post

Mike
                        I feel a song coming on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1Neo...eature=related

Comment

What a candid nightmare, Mike.
                          It's because you know you are human that you call yourself a Scot or a Papoo, and hence the many tribes or peoples that call themselves something meaning "Human" or "Human-something".
                          Yes, and any time you call yourself something other than human you separate yourself and often, elevate yourself. Is it better to make oneself different or to find commonalities? Which of the choices leads to nationalism, separation, and warfare. I am surprised at you, David.

Mike
                          huh?

Comment

You misunderstand me completely, and as usual you resort to insult. No surprise either, my dear.

Now you problem is simple : nobody is human if he doesn't think the way you think.

That Indians burn their deads while we bury ours doesn't stop me from loving them, I don't need to burn my father to love them as humans, I don't need them to bury their deads either.

Well, I love them as they are, I want them to love me as I am, and I'm firmly convinced it's a higher aim than your stupid uniformity.

Comment

Fact is that you don't consider anybody defining himself as "Papoo", Scot" or "Oromo" as fully human. Wouldn't it be a lack of humanity on your part, and not on that of the Papoos ?

Comment

Fact is that you don't consider anybody defining himself as "Papoo", Scot" or "Oromo" as fully human. Wouldn't it be a lack of humanity on your part, and not on that of the Papoos ?
                                Huh? I insulted you? I don't see where. You misunderstand me. I believe that until people think of themselves as HUMAN first and ethnicity or religion as an interesting but not integral part of themselves, we are doomed. I realize that that is a big idea and may be well beyond the simplicity of 'self' first, but it's what I think is vital for survival of all. If I insulted you, it wasn't my intention and I am sorry if it came across that way.

Mike
                                huh?

Comment

Working...
                                X