No announcement yet.

Rioting in UK capital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My husband and I were on holiday in England (bed and breakfasting in Minehead) when the rioting happened. I can't forget a T.V. interview with a group of black teenagers who had been looting. One of them was only 16 years old, already with a baby son, from a deprived background, who described how he had gone to a lot of trouble to make himself look really presentable for an interview, only to find he didn't get the job he had applied for. He thought that he had been rejected in spite of him trying his best and what was the use in trying again if he knew the same thing would happen and he would have to go through the agony of rejection again. I can't get this young boy out of my head. I'm certain he wasn't just making excuses for his behaviour. He had looted some clothes, etc. for his little son, as well as some 'nice' clothes for himself.

I think the main reasons behind the rioting and looting are feelings of nobody with real authority (various Prime Ministers and their Cabinets) caring a jot for the people in the deprived areas, in spite of promises and promises and promises being made over the years. If a young person hasn't got any sort of a future to look forward to except more of the same - extremely bad housing, unemployment unending with no hope of anything better, is it any wonder that feelings overflow? I'm surprised that it was all over as quickly as it was. I'm surprised that more people weren't badly injured or killed. I'm surprised that there aren't many more instances of social unrest in today's England.

As some of you know, I'm English myself, married to a Swede. I'm 65 years old now and I find it unbelieveable that more hasn't been done to alleviate the suffering in the deprived areas of England. I know I'm going on a bit but I feel very strongly about the way so many of my countrymen and women are still treated, whatever their skin colour or ethnicity.

It makes me want to cry.

Take care of yourselves.

Carol

Comment

• Concern yourself with your own country's problems, and let us look after ours.

Graham
      We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• Originally posted by Carol View Post
        My husband and I were on holiday in England (bed and breakfasting in Minehead) when the rioting happened. I can't forget a T.V. interview with a group of black teenagers who had been looting. One of them was only 16 years old, already with a baby son, from a deprived background, who described how he had gone to a lot of trouble to make himself look really presentable for an interview, only to find he didn't get the job he had applied for. He thought that he had been rejected in spite of him trying his best and what was the use in trying again if he knew the same thing would happen and he would have to go through the agony of rejection again. I can't get this young boy out of my head. I'm certain he wasn't just making excuses for his behaviour. He had looted some clothes, etc. for his little son, as well as some 'nice' clothes for himself.

I think the main reasons behind the rioting and looting are feelings of nobody with real authority (various Prime Ministers and their Cabinets) caring a jot for the people in the deprived areas, in spite of promises and promises and promises being made over the years. If a young person hasn't got any sort of a future to look forward to except more of the same - extremely bad housing, unemployment unending with no hope of anything better, is it any wonder that feelings overflow? I'm surprised that it was all over as quickly as it was. I'm surprised that more people weren't badly injured or killed. I'm surprised that there aren't many more instances of social unrest in today's England.

As some of you know, I'm English myself, married to a Swede. I'm 65 years old now and I find it unbelieveable that more hasn't been done to alleviate the suffering in the deprived areas of England. I know I'm going on a bit but I feel very strongly about the way so many of my countrymen and women are still treated, whatever their skin colour or ethnicity.

It makes me want to cry.

Take care of yourselves.

Carol
        Hi Carol

I found your post quite touching. Although I was horrified by the behaviour of the rioters and looters and believe many of them were simply opportunistic criminals I do understand the point you are making. The division between the very richest and the poorest in this country has widened dramatically and to some extent wealth and its trappings are flaunted shamefully. A very poor example is set by the highest in the land and very little concern is shown towards the disadvanged by those responsible for dishing out rewards.

Take care.

Julie

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham View Post
          Concern yourself with your own country's problems, and let us look after ours.

Graham
          Hi Graham,

I am concerning myself with my own country's problems. As I wrote in my post, I'm English myself. That's why I find the hopelessness of so many of my countrymen so terribly sad.

Carol

Comment

• Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
            Hi Carol

I found your post quite touching. Although I was horrified by the behaviour of the rioters and looters and believe many of them were simply opportunistic criminals I do understand the point you are making. The division between the very richest and the poorest in this country has widened dramatically and to some extent wealth and its trappings are flaunted shamefully. A very poor example is set by the highest in the land and very little concern is shown towards the disadvanged by those responsible for dishing out rewards.

Take care.

Julie
            Hi Julie,
            Thank you for your post. I agree with everything you say.
            Love
            Carol

Comment

Working...
            X