Saving East End heritage--Wilton's Music Hall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving East End heritage--Wilton's Music Hall

Apologies, since I don't usually try to convince people to part with their cash, unless it's if I'm trying to cadge a drink...

Many people here will know of Wilton's Music Hall, in Grace's Alley, just off Wellclose Square. It was opened in 1857 by John Wilton, and is the last remaining example of a grand music hall in the world. It was taken over by the Methodist Mission in 1888, who provided food for the striking dockers in 1889 and allowed the hall to be used as a base for coordinating protests against Moseley's fascists in the 1930s. It was reopened around a decade ago, and operates as a theatre/pub/venue for community functions. It's in a state of terrible disrepair and is likely to have to be demolished; they were just turned down for funding by the Heritage Lottery Fund, and are desperately trying to raise money to keep the building up.

If you fancy learning more, or can donate (and those in the UK can donate 2 quid by text), please visit www.wiltons.org.uk

It's a special building and it would be terrible to lose this fabulous and valuable part of East End heritage.

Thanks, guys
    best,

claire

Hi Claire

Thanks, Claire. We should all be aware of such vestiges of the old East End that are under threat. My great uncle, my grandfather's brother, was a music hall comedian named Billy Matchett (1889-1974) so this topic has meaning to me given that the building housed one of the old time music halls.

All the best

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
    just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
    For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
    RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

This is a unique building and it's appalling to think it may be demolished.

Here's a report in the Independent - "Oldest music hall faces demoliton after losing £4m Lottery Fund bid":

And here's an article from The Stage, with comments from David Suchet, the patron of the theatre:

Comment

Thanks for those links, Chris. It'd be tragic if Wilton's were to be demolished...
        best,

claire

Comment

Here's some good news.

Wilton's Music Hall is saved
          The world's oldest surviving music hall has been saved after a fundraising campaign led by Poirot star David Suchet.
          Wilton's Music Hall in Wapping, which opened in 1858, faced closure this autumn after the Heritage Lottery Fund turned down its bid for help. It needs £3.5 million for structural repairs.
          Theatre fans, including Suchet, 65, mounted a campaign and now the venue's artistic director Frances Mayhew says there is enough cash to secure its future for the time being.

This is London magazine has been established for over 65 years, providing readers with information about events, exhibitions, music, concerts, theatre and dining. As life returns to normal, Londoners are heading back into the Capital and many visitors are already coming from further afield.

Comment

That is great news.Its a lovely old theatre.
            Thanks Chris
            Norma

Comment

Working...
            X