Osama Bin Laden DEAD- Killed By U.S. Forces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes they do...I agree...

However to be fair here, I have to day that I do NOT like the past relations the US has had with various Middle East dictators...when we knew what they were about...
    Cheers,
    cappuccina

"Don't make me get my flying monkeys!"

Comment

Spot the difference.

In Britain on Friday people took to the streets to celebrate love, life and happiness.

In America today they took to the streets to celebrate death and destruction.

In all seriousness, I'm glad this evil man has been taken out, although I really thought he was already dead years ago so it's a surprise to me that he was even still alive. Well done. Better late than never but still....!

I just hope it doesn't make things worse. Now the nutters have got even more to be miffed at. Getting rid of HIM isn't going to get rid of THEM, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by cappuccina View Post
        Sadly, while I understand why was necessary, it will not accomplish what everyone here would like to see, which is the end of the violence in the Middle East, or the end of violent radical Muslim (and other violent) groups.

Edited to add...this is what I mean by the above...

Still, I lost a friend/former coworker in 911, so I understand why this had to be done...
        This is exactly what I fear. The violence will escalate.

I'm so sorry you lost a friend in that terrible tragedy

Comment

....thank you, Belinda....

This was my coworker/friend:

To Archaic; I am sorry for your losses also...
          Last edited by cappuccina; 05-02-2011, 07:44 PM.
          Cheers,
          cappuccina

"Don't make me get my flying monkeys!"

Comment

Originally posted by DYLAN View Post

Obama has an election to face, and from what I've been told by American friends, he's regarded by many to be the most incompetent President in years.
            He's one of the most intelligent presidents in recent memory. The country was ruined beginning with Reagan and then had a bit of a comback under Clinton, only to go down the tubes with Bush. Obama has a difficult road ahead. It may be an impossible task considering politicians are all part of the MIC.

Mike
            huh?

Comment

Originally posted by DYLAN View Post
              Hi all.

Well, to be honest, I'm treating this news with quite some suspicion.

Obama has an election to face, and from what I've been told by American friends, he's regarded by many to be the most incompetent President in years.

DYLAN
              What - more incompetent than the man who claimed 'the French don't have a word for entrepreneur?'

Comment

Hi everyone.

Cappucina, I'm very sorry about the loss of your friend Sue. Many wonderful people died that day, and unfortunately many of the rescue-workers are still dying today as a result of inhaling airborne toxins and debris at Ground Zero.

I understand why many are skeptical that the news of Bin Laden's death is true. His burial at sea makes perfect sense and has no "conspiratorial" overtones.
                According to Muslim law, a deceased individual must be buried within 24 hours. The US Armed Forces did the right thing, and handled the body in accordance with Muslim tradition- and of course, this was also the smart thing, as to do otherwise would only have served to inflame Muslim extremists.

In addition to confirming the identity by intelligence information and visual recognition - a well-known face and an Arab man 7 feet tall hiding in a luxurious Pakistani armed compound!- DNA samples, biometrics and photographs were taken. Bin Laden was also identified by one of his wives.

I'm sure our Armed Forces have planned for 10 years how they would identify, handle, and bury Bin Laden when they finally got him. Burial at sea is in accordance with Muslim law. All Muslim rites were carefully observed. Burial at sea also makes it impossible for his burial site to become a site of "pilgrimage" which could be exploited by violent extremists. I think everybody can appreciate that it would have been a very foolish and dangerous mistake to parade Bin Laden's corpse in public in order to satisfy the skeptics. I expect that some kind of photo and the DNA tests might eventually be released- not to convince our own domestic skeptics, but only if needed to convince violent extremists. (But they're already calling Bin Laden a "martyr", so hopefully this won't be necessary.)

It's remarkable that in the course of this operation no American servicemen and no civilians were killed. I commend President Obama, the Navy SEALS, the intelligence services, and all others involved for carrying out this mission with such care and success.

It's to be expected that there will be attempts to retaliate against us, but I'm not afraid. Terrorists WANT US to be afraid- I wouldn't give them the satisfaction.
                I'm hopeful that without Bin Laden bankrolling and "inspiring" al Qaeda, it will wither away.

It's interesting that the news of Bin Laden's death was released on the same day, May 1, as the news of Adolf Hitler's suicide in 1945.

Here's a CNN article which gives more info on the military operation, the burial at sea, etc: http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/02...nknown/?hpt=T1

Best regards,
                Archaic
                Last edited by Archaic; 05-02-2011, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                  You want jokes?

I'll give you jokes.

Saddam Hussein was bankrolled by American taxpayers' money to wage war against Iran and we string him up. Similarly the Taliban were financed by US taxpayers to **** up the Russians in Afghanistan some years ago and now they're the agents of Satan
                  Saddam was bankrolled by everyone, the Russians included.

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                    Hi everyone.

Cappucina, I'm very sorry about the loss of your friend Sue. Many wonderful people died that day, and unfortunately many of the rescue-workers are still dying today as a result of inhaling airborne toxins and debris at Ground Zero.

I understand why many are skeptical that the news of Bin Laden's death is true. His burial at sea makes perfect sense and has no "conspiratorial" overtones.
                    According to Muslim law, a deceased individual must be buried within 24 hours. The US Armed Forces did the right thing, and handled the body in accordance with Muslim tradition- and of course, this was also the smart thing, as to do otherwise would only have served to inflame Muslim extremists.

In addition to confirming the identity by intelligence information and visual recognition - a well-known face and an Arab man 7 feet tall hiding in a luxurious Pakistani armed compound!- DNA samples, biometrics and photographs were taken. Bin Laden was also identified by one of his wives.

I'm sure our Armed Forces have planned for 10 years how they would identify, handle, and bury Bin Laden when they finally got him. Burial at sea is in accordance with Muslim law. All Muslim rites were carefully observed. Burial at sea also makes it impossible for his burial site to become a site of "pilgrimage" which could be exploited by violent extremists. I think everybody can appreciate that it would have been a very foolish and dangerous mistake to parade Bin Laden's corpse in public in order to satisfy the skeptics. I expect that some kind of photo and the DNA tests might eventually be released- not to convince our own domestic skeptics, but only if needed to convince violent extremists. (But they're already calling Bin Laden a "martyr", so hopefully this won't be necessary.)

It's remarkable that in the course of this operation no American servicemen and no civilians were killed. I commend President Obama, the Navy SEALS, the intelligence services, and all others involved for carrying out this mission with such care and success.

It's to be expected that there will be attempts to retaliate against us, but I'm not afraid. Terrorists WANT US to be afraid- I wouldn't give them the satisfaction.
                    I'm hopeful that without Bin Laden bankrolling and "inspiring" al Qaeda, it will wither away.

It's interesting that the news of Bin Laden's death was released on the same day, May 1, as the news of Adolf Hitler's suicide in 1945.

Here's a CNN article which gives more info on the military operation, the burial at sea, etc: http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/02...nknown/?hpt=T1

Best regards,
                    Archaic
                    Great post Archaic - well put.

Comment

Originally posted by jason_c View Post
                      Saddam was bankrolled by everyone, the Russians included.
                      And the UK - who sold him guns and tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                        And the UK - who sold him guns and tanks.

Glad to see we were involved too. Our arms industry would be crippled if we only sold to pacifists.

Comment

Originally posted by jason_c View Post
                          Glad to see we were involved too. Our arms industry would be crippled if we only sold to pacifists.
                          What about a thought for the people crippled and killed by the arms industry?

Comment

This brings up a sore subject for me. No politician, nor high-ranking military official should be allowed to have investments in any companies associated with arms, armaments, guidance systems, or military logistics. Is it a wonder that war is our first option when the politicians have investments that make them rich when war occurs? How is it that our society makes a profit on the war machine? That's rhetorical. Of course it has to do with investing in a strategy of destruction that never puts the investor, nor the weapons makers in harm's way. Without regulations, they have no reason not to invest, and everything to gain by doing so. The same goes for oil. Politicians really suck and are about the most evil things on this Earth. As much as I didn't like Bin Laden, one can see where he got his hatred and fear from, and it wasn't misplaced.

Mike
                            huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                              What about a thought for the people crippled and killed by the arms industry?
                              Killed by Governments going to war surely? Military spending is not always for aggressive purposes. Its just as much defensive posturing.

If we had refused to arm to certain countries during the cold war it would have given the USSR freedom to have whatever countries it wished as regional powers throughout the globe. With all the ensuing human rights benefits that would have brought about.

I assume you were also against lend-lease during WW2?

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
                                This brings up a sore subject for me. No politician, nor high-ranking military official should be allowed to have investments in any companies associated with arms, armaments, guidance systems, or military logistics. Is it a wonder that war is our first option when the politicians have investments that make them rich when war occurs? How is it that our society makes a profit on the war machine? That's rhetorical. Of course it has to do with investing in a strategy of destruction that never puts the investor, nor the weapons makers in harm's way. Without regulations, they have no reason not to invest, and everything to gain by doing so. The same goes for oil. Politicians really suck and are about the most evil things on this Earth. As much as I didn't like Bin Laden, one can see where he got his hatred and fear from, and it wasn't misplaced.

Mike
                                Which is why a US President (and VP) are required to have there investments in a blind trust. Not sure how far down the political and command chain this goes but it is a good idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X