X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Easter/happy bank holidays!

to all

babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

What exactly is a bank holiday and why do you celebrate it?

c.d.

Comment

hi cd

it's a day when traditionally the banks would be closed, so like Christmas Day etc..we have about nine of them over here a year. It means no work for some of us such as those who work for the Government! (ironically when i used to work for a bank a few years ago, I used to work Bank Holidays!)

Jen

(I put bank holiday greetings up for the atheists among us who aren't celebrating Easter as a holy time)
      babybird

George Sand

Comment

Thanks!

Happy easter to all... Enjoy the sunshine!

Comment

Yes, some lucky people get 5 days straight of time off this time of the year!

Very Happy Easter and all the best to all.....and, from an Australian point of view, remembrance for ANZAC Day which will fall on this coming Easter Monday, remembering all those "diggers" who have lost their lives fighting for the freedom of our country and the Commonwealth in conflicts....

Cheers,
          Adam.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
            What exactly is a bank holiday and why do you celebrate it?
            In straight American: due to the expected brief release from robberies, C.D.. (Just kidding. And the first time I've heard of the British Bank Holiday I was mystified too.)
            Best regards,
            Maria

Comment

Happy Easter and Bank Holiday and Anzac Day and Any Day

I learned about Bank Holidays from that renowned intellectual Adrian Mole

I like to celebrate chocolate on a regular basis

Comment

HAppy easter

Originally posted by babybird67 View Post
                it's a day when traditionally the banks would be closed, so like Christmas Day etc..we have about nine of them over here a year. It means no work for some of us such as those who work for the Government! (ironically when i used to work for a bank a few years ago, I used to work Bank Holidays!)

Jen

(I put bank holiday greetings up for the atheists among us who aren't celebrating Easter as a holy time)
                Happy Easter to you as well. Your bank holidays remind me of Veterans (armistice) day here. It seems like everyone gets off. I'm a veteran and I'm working.
                Neil "Those who forget History are doomed to repeat it." - Santayana

Comment

ANZAC day

Originally posted by Adam Went View Post
                  Yes, some lucky people get 5 days straight of time off this time of the year!

Very Happy Easter and all the best to all.....and, from an Australian point of view, remembrance for ANZAC Day which will fall on this coming Easter Monday, remembering all those "diggers" who have lost their lives fighting for the freedom of our country and the Commonwealth in conflicts....

Cheers,
                  Adam.
                  Well put and remembering them is right and proper!
                  Neil "Those who forget History are doomed to repeat it." - Santayana

Comment

YS:

ANZAC Day, which fell today, is always a very sombre day, but the good news is that it only seems to continue building momentum as time goes on and becomes more and more popular and well attended each year, especially the dawn service. Many citizens of the Commonwealth also make their way to Gallipoli in Turkey which was the scene of probably the most famous "digger" conflict, during World War I.

But anyway, not to get off topic, I hope everybody had a great Easter break!

Cheers,
                    Adam.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for that Adam, Easter is a time of rebirth, and I suppose no one can be fully reborn without remembering the past and mourning for its loss.

I too hope everyone had a good Easter. I hope too that everyone feels reborn.

Best wishes.

Comment

hi Hatchett

do not mourn for the past. The past leads to the present, there can be no rebirth without shedding what has gone before, and it is the nature of existence to change and mutate. Be positive about the future. The weather is beautiful, the lambs are out in the fields, the summer is coming, and there will always be beauty in the world.

best wishes

Jen x
                        babybird

George Sand

Comment

Hi Babybird,

You are so right. I am glad you have had a good Easter. Always take care and be happy.

x

David.

Comment

Babybird:

Exactly, but one must always remember the past - celebrate its achievements and learn from its mistakes!

Cheers,
                            Adam.

Comment

Hi Jen,

Sorry to be picky but thinking about it are you sure about your analogy about the lambs in the field?

I'm just pointing out that in a couple of days time those lambs will probably be someone's dinner!

But the thought was there. Much appreciated.

Best wishes.

David.

x

Comment

Working...
                              X