No announcement yet.

Time to ban circus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread reminds me, I need to go see Ringling Brothers when they come back to town. One of my best childhood memories is seeing the circus with my Grandfather (whos now deceased). So thanks
    Jordan

Comment

Longleat

Well the 60 year old elephant is now living at Longleat Safari Park. Apparently elephants in captivity only live to about 40 normally so I hope she enjoys what life she has left.

Comment

I once saw a young elephant being paraded on the pavement in the centre of Bangkok by a man who was asking for donations.

It was noisy and stressful enough a place for me, let alone an exotic animal wrenched from his natural habitat in Africa.

I made a remark to an American that I thought it was cruel, but he countered that we have no right to criticise as we tolerate cruelty in our own respective countries.

I could not see any merit in that argument and still cannot.

Comment

^ Are you sure the young elephant you saw in Bangkok was an *African* elephant?
          Asian Elephants are native to India and are often used for work in South Asian countries. I just can't imagine a trainer importing an African elephant to an area where Asian elephants are already available.

That said, elephants kept by traveling shows in Asia are often as ill-treated as those in Western circuses.
          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
          ---------------
          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
          ---------------

Comment

Working...
          X