Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New adaptation of D H Lawrence's...

Women in Love and The Rainbow...looks like it could be worth watching:

Forget Ken Russell and the infamous wrestling scene - DH Lawrence's Women in Love is back on screen as a two-part BBC TV adaptation starring Rosamund Pike.
    babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

I'm not sure I ever got over Oliver Reed naked in WiL. Not pleasant Any improvement on that has to be a good thing. In fact, anything *but* that has to be a good thing
    best,

claire

Comment

Oh there are far worse things than a naked Oliver Reed.... such as a naked Dennis Hopper in the film Tracks.... and that didn't even have the genius of Ken Russell behind it.
      "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
        Oh there are far worse things than a naked Oliver Reed.... such as a naked Dennis Hopper in the film Tracks.... and that didn't even have the genius of Ken Russell behind it.
        The same Ken Russell who did Litztomania? Not a genius in my book, but at times decent.

Mike
        huh?

Comment

Funny you mention Lisztomania.. that is one of my favorite films of all time..I know it's not for everyone (or most people really) but a really fun film just the same, more then fun.. it really is a pure case of cinematic indulgence...and well.. it did all but kill Ken's status as a top director... oh well... I for one am glad we got that film!
          "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Hi All,

Well it has to be remembered that these things are an art form. They either please or repell, or in the middle they entertain.

Surelly there is nothing wrong with that?

It either pleases or sparks ideas, positive or negative.

Best wishes.

Hatchett.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatchett View Post

Well it has to be remembered that these things are an art form. They either please or repell, or in the middle they entertain.

Surelly there is nothing wrong with that?

It either pleases or sparks ideas, positive or negative.
              If Litztomania and DH Lawrence are art, then human waste in a sink is also art. I'm okay with that definition; that all things are art, but not always to the same people, and often only to a small segement of a given society.

Mike
              huh?

Comment

Hi

Strangely enough I am not of the opinion that all things are art. What I was talking about was that it was an art form. Certainly even in an art form there are certain entries that dont qualify. But then again I suppose it is a matter of taste.

But I think that what lasts in the end is the best of the form. Shelley, Keats, Van Gough are famous examples of that.

I would suggest that what you do in a sink is not art, unless is some way you believe it to be creative and that it can communicate to others. But if you are happy then far be it for me to spoil your fun.

Best wishes.

Hatchett.
                Last edited by Hatchett; 03-25-2011, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatchett View Post
                  I would suggest that what you do in a sink is not art, unless is some way you believe it to be creative and that it can communicate to others. But if you are happy then far be it for me to spoil your fun.
                  What I do in a sink? I thought it was yours. I merely took the photos and displayed them next to Van Gogh. The concensus is not yet in about them being art.

Mike
                  huh?

Comment

Wow Michael.. you really didn't like Lisztomania very much huh ....no, like i said I know it's not a film for most people...but there are some wonderful moments...plus you have to admit, Rick Wakeman turning the music of Lizt and Wagner into 70's pop was quite.. interesting to say the least..

Funny this reminds me of the whole Lenny Bruce bit about art... "there is a big difference between a big piece of art with a little sh** in the middle.. and a big piece of sh** with a little art in the middle... you cant tell the art if it's one big piece of sh**"

however I always said of art.. how can you tell good art from bad art? well, do you like it, yes? well then it's good...no? then it's bad....I agree you shouldnt let others tell you what you should and shouldnt like

Comment

wow

I really enjoyed it and can't wait for next week's. I thought the acting was superb. Only the actor playing Birkin reminded me a bit of Roger from MY Family!

I love D. H. Lawrence's work. He was the first writer who sparked my interest in literature so I have him to thank for that. I love his passion, his intelligence and his empathy with the unspoken, and of course his fearlessness, in the face of life and of critics.

Very impressed...although I don't think this pairing will be as memorable in their naked wrestling as Bates and Reed!

Jen
                      babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Comment

Michael,

I dont know why you are so protective of your sink. Live and let live brother. Although I am not in a position to take a view of whether its art or not.

Maybe best to let others decide.

Keep happy, and keep sinking.

Hatchett.

Comment

Working...
                        X