Most Over Hyped Movies/Actors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mariab View Post
    Wow, for me too! I don't find him as charming and irresistible as he's supposed to be. For a similar type, I very much like Ray Milland (in Dial “M“ for murder). Plus I've always wanted to see the original Cape fear, it appears much more clever and atmospheric than the Scorsese remake (from the pictures and from what I've heard).
    I Agree Maria - Ray Milland is a superb actor and there is a smouldering sex appeal about him too.

Comment

The remake by Scorsece also casted Mitchum and Peck in short parts (as the police lieutenant and as the conservative lawyer (uttering biblical passages) who helped the bad guy (de Niro) try to disbar Nolte.
      Best regards,
      Maria

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
        I Agree Maria - Ray Milland is a superb actor and there is a smouldering sex appeal about him too.
        Wow, thought so too, in Dial “M“ for murder. He definitely had nuances. The other guy (Grace Kelly's paramour) was so blah.
        Best regards,
        Maria

Comment

Original Cape Fear was a true Classic. There were some scenes that had to shock audiences at the time, because they still cause a shudder today. Mitchum was brilliant as a scary psycho, the type guy that can smile so nice at you, while ripping your heart out.
          I confess that altruistic and cynically selfish talk seem to me about equally unreal. With all humility, I think 'whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might,' infinitely more important than the vain attempt to love one's neighbour as one's self. If you want to hit a bird on the wing you must have all your will in focus, you must not be thinking about yourself, and equally, you must not be thinking about your neighbour; you must be living with your eye on that bird. Every achievement is a bird on the wing.
          Oliver Wendell Holmes

Comment

I'd really like to see the original Cape Fear. Was it in black and white? Because I've seen pictures from it mostly in black and white (and they look impressive), but there are some others in color online. Are they colorized? (Or maybe it was posters.)
            I've heard that the Scorsece remake refers also to The night of the hunter, where Mitchum played another killer. I haven't yet seen any of these oldies.
            Best regards,
            Maria

Comment

Movies back then often had scene photos along the bottom of the poster that were in color even if the movie was in black and white. Sometimes there were even photos of scenes under the poster that had wound up on the cutting room floor and weren't even in the movie.
              This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought.
                Best regards,
                Maria

Comment

It was black and white, and Mitchum made a less sleazy scumbag, it was not really clear if it was him being deadly, or Peck's mind playing games for doing a bad job years before. DeNiro looks like he came from Deliverance, saying, " He got a pretty mouth ain't he?", so you knew he was evil from the start.
                  I confess that altruistic and cynically selfish talk seem to me about equally unreal. With all humility, I think 'whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might,' infinitely more important than the vain attempt to love one's neighbour as one's self. If you want to hit a bird on the wing you must have all your will in focus, you must not be thinking about yourself, and equally, you must not be thinking about your neighbour; you must be living with your eye on that bird. Every achievement is a bird on the wing.
                  Oliver Wendell Holmes

Comment

That's what I've heard about Peck vs. Nolte. What was clever in the remake is that they showed Nolte's family as having problems already, but that they grow over it in their emergency situation. In the remake, when I saw that Juliette Lewis was cast and how she played the part, I was sure he was gonna get it from her in the end. I've heard that in the original there is a scene in the boat where Mitchum throws eggs at Peck's wife, which doesn't sound too threatening.
                    De Niro must have been having the fun of his life, but he overplayed him as such a sleazy scumbag, that it was more hilarious than threatening. At least I thought so until I was stalked by someone living downstairs from me here in Berlin (a schizophrenic Arab, of all things) who was copying de Niros's look in the movie to a t, up to the haircut and to firing (blanks) from his window and stuff. (We don't have anything like a guns problem in continental Europe.) The stalking situation I got rid of pretty quickly, but what was pretty ugly were the revolting, super loud noises coming from downstairs when he got his episodes, and it took the most part of 2 years until they got him into an asylum permanently – during which 2 years I was unable to really work on my book (dissertation). It had gotten to the point where I had started planning getting plastic gloves, a fisherman's coat, and a shower cap to go downstairs und assassinate him some night, and I had even decided from which part of the balcony to throw him down.
                    Deliverance is an unteresting movie.
                    Best regards,
                    Maria

Comment

My dad met Robert Mitchum by Ramsgate harbour during the filming of Michael Winner's The Big Sleep.
                      My dad was taking a break from work and ambled over to the harbour wall and just started talking to the guy next to him. My dad realised who it was and asked him what was happening. Apparently the film crew's payroll had been stolen so filming had stopped for a while. "Some detective I turned out to be" was Mitchum's cute summary of the situation.

Mitchum always came across as a very approachable and self effacing man. Not the greatest actor of all time but an old school movie star which we have seen the last of.

Derrick

Comment

I think my dad was pals with Peter Boyle one summer in the 1960s, that there was a discussion about them doing something for TV, but it never materialized. I sorta recall my dad talking about this as a kid post Taxi Driver.
                        I think Robert Mitchum is a pretty good actor for his time. The problem I have is with Humphrey Bogart, he looks completely expressionless to me. Maybe it's generational, but I can't seem to manage to endure any of his movies. But apart from Bogart I love old noir, only it's very hard to rent such oldies on video/DVD in Germany. One can only buy them (over the internet), which I'm afraid I can't.
                        Best regards,
                        Maria

Comment

The most overrated actor I think is George Clooney. Hes in so many bad movies its really laughable. And he always inserts himself into events in society just like Sean Penn and Bono. Nobody cares what your opinion is on politics, world events, natural disasters so stick to acting and leave that to someone else. And stop acting so smug and arrogant about everything. We get what your about so shutup already. Conversely, my favorite actor of all time I also think is highly overlooked and thats my main man Lance Henriksen. He could read the phone book and it would be interesting
                          Jordan

Comment

Originally posted by ChainzCooper View Post
                            The most overrated actor I think is George Clooney. Hes in so many bad movies its really laughable. And he always inserts himself into events in society just like Sean Penn and Bono. Nobody cares what your opinion is on politics, world events, natural disasters so stick to acting and leave that to someone else. And stop acting so smug and arrogant about everything. We get what your about so shutup already. Conversely, my favorite actor of all time I also think is highly overlooked and thats my main man Lance Henriksen. He could read the phone book and it would be interesting
                            Jordan
                            Yeah these do good celebs are so annoying
                            Leave it to the Politicians -after all they are doing such a damn good job
                            We're standing alone inside the night
                            listen the wind is calling
                            to the dangerzone beyond the light
                            and suddenly we are falling
                            But there ain't no stopping us now
                            I don't know if I'll be back tonight
                            It's just a machine inside of my head
                            and now all the wheels are turning
                            I'll think of the words we never said
                            and deep in my heart it's burning
                            But there is no stopping it now
                            we're gonna make it somehow
                            you wait tonight
                            and we're waiting for the light
                            Into the fire we will run
                            into the sound of distant drums
                            when you're walking alone in a dream
                            on a highway to nowhere
                            nowhere tonight

Comment

Originally posted by OctavBotnar View Post
                              Yeah these do good celebs are so annoying
                              Leave it to the Politicians -after all they are doing such a damn good job
                              Never said the politicians were doing a good job and celebrities are annoying. They're so smug I really can't stand it
                              Jordan

Comment

Night of the Living Dead
                                This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X