Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gerry Rafferty R.I.P.

Hello you all!

I was a teddy-boy in my teens and "Baker Street" was a piece of strange art-rock at the time and even a bit more distant thank the punk of the time!

But life has done its task and now it's one of my favourites!

All the best
    Jukka
    "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Yes Jukka, Baker Street was THE song of the summer of 78. That was my first summer of being single again.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Gerry Rafferty was not a rock star as such but a great songwriter who found that fame sat uneasy on his shoulders.

Stuck In The Middle With You
      Night Owl
      Right Down The Line
      Get It Right Next Time
      Baker Street

Not many can claim to have written such great songs as these!

He was a great talent now sadly missed.

Derrick

Comment

Originally posted by Derrick View Post
        Gerry Rafferty was not a rock star as such but a great songwriter who found that fame sat uneasy on his shoulders.

Stuck In The Middle With You
        Night Owl
        Right Down The Line
        Get It Right Next Time
        Baker Street

Not many can claim to have written such great songs as these!

He was a great talent now sadly missed.

Derrick
        Hi Derrick,

Yes, listening to Gerry Rafferty's beautifully crafted "Baker Street" drifting across the long hot summer's evenings in Scott Hall is most definately one of the more pleasant memories of my childhood. I was too young, only about 9, to get the lyrics back then, but just hearing it, his voice, that sax, the guitar...wow, shivers down my spine!!! I would only "discover" Steelers Wheel, years later, when "Stuck In Ihe Middle With You" was used in an unforgetable scene in the film "Reservoir Dogs".

RIP to a true talent. If creating music of such timeless quality that it will always be listened to and enjoyed, for as long as there is anyone still alive to listen to it, isn't true immortality, then I really don't know what is! RIP Gerry.

Best wishes,
        Zodiac.
        Last edited by Zodiac; 01-06-2011, 03:05 AM.
        And thus I clothe my naked villainy
        With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
        And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
          Yes Jukka, Baker Street was THE song of the summer of 78. That was my first summer of being single again.
          Wow, me too Stan! Except I was only 'single again' from the April to the August as it turned out. I made the most of it though.

That was also the year of Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights (my dizzy flatmate at the time thought it was "Wuthering Through the Heights"), Boney M's dreadful Rivers of Babylon and Saturday Night Fever.

Baker Street was indeed THE song. Sooo cool, so good to be alive that year whenever it played - which was pretty much all the time.

Love,

Caz
          X
          "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Yes Caz, great memories although I would never want to go back. I had to work for a living back then - the hell with that crap!
            This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Absolutely Stan!

Growing old lazily and disgracefully, with all those memories of tunes you could whistle, is just the best.

Love,

Caz
              X

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
                Wow, me too Stan! Except I was only 'single again' from the April to the August as it turned out. I made the most of it though.

That was also the year of Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights (my dizzy flatmate at the time thought it was "Wuthering Through the Heights"), Boney M's dreadful Rivers of Babylon and Saturday Night Fever.

Baker Street was indeed THE song. Sooo cool, so good to be alive that year whenever it played - which was pretty much all the time.

Love,

Caz
                X
                My mother-in-law insists it's Wobbling Heights!!

Boney M - Pha! Dreadful indeed.

There was not much decent mainstream stuff around in the late 70s - Blondie - The Clash - The Jam and Boomtown Rats a possible exception.

Comment

I think this is a very poignant version of "Wuthering Heights."

http://morgan-fisher.com/From the 1979 album '1' by the Hybrid Kids (aka Morgan Fisher of Mott The Hoople).Album cover design by Morgan Fisher featuring pain...

Comment

I thought you were going to give us this one, Robert:

Love,

Caz
                    X

Comment

Indeed Caz, that's a good version too.

Comment

Working...
                      X