Outdoor Survival Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor Survival Gear

I know that there are people on the boards who enjoy the outdoors by hiking, camping and backpacking. For some reason, I have been completely absorbed by the discussion of outdoor survival and the items necessary to ensure your safety. A google search can involve you in discussions for days.

Anyway, I came across an essential piece of survival eqipment that I wanted to share. It is called a Swedish Firesteel. I recommend the Army model (with a red handle in case you drop it). I got mine from amazon.com but a lot of internet sites sell them. Mine was $15. You strike the steel with the attached metal striker and it throws off 3,000 degrees (Centigrade) sparks that ignites your tinder. I found it very easy to do and there are a lot of demonstration videos on the internet.

Hardcore survivalists recommend them highly since they are dependable and will work even when wet. Waterproof matches and lighters while good backups cannot be relied upon in a survival situation.

I highly recommend the Swedish FireSteel.

c.d.

For tinder, I coated some cotton balls with vaseline and store them in an old plastic pill bottle. They are supposed to be among the best firestarters. Also dryer lint is good.

c.d.

Comment

Working...
    X