Question about Royal Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phil H View Post
    But why SHOULD a constitutional monarch protect "us from the European Union", Robert?

So far as staying in is concerned, there was a referendum in the mid 70s that showed that 66% of the Uk population favoured staying in at that stage.
    Phil
    You must remember Phil that the people of Britain were never asked if they wanted to join. We were dragged in and then later asked if we wanted to stay in. As always apathy took over and the majority (albeit quite a small majority) decided to let things be, mainly because Heath swore to us that the Common Market was just a trading block, something he recently admitted was a lie.

Comment

You must remember Phil that the people of Britain were never asked if they wanted to join.

I do remember, I was there and very much aware.

We were dragged in and then later asked if we wanted to stay in.

I voted in the referendum (Yes- to stay in - if that is of interest. I debated the issues quite hard at the time with friends and work colleagues.

As always apathy took over and the majority (albeit quite a small majority) decided to let things be,

As I recall the vote was around 66% for staying in, 33% for withdrawl - a pretty solid majority. But surely in a democracy, even a majority of 1 is enough?

But this discussion is NOT about referendums and Votes. To answer the original question you posed, if a United States of Europe posed a single -state solution, you would probably still need political heads of the individual states (so the PMs would remain) and any change could probably be covered up as with the Lisbon treaty (no real constitutional change). But if you wanted to remove the Head of State, that would be obvious - you could not hide such a change. So the position of the monarch could be (and I admit it's a could) a significant factor in making people see the magnitiude of the change.

You'll probably not agree.

Warmest regards

Phil

Comment

I'm afraid I fully agree with Brummie, but, not being a British citizen, I don't feel inclined to elaborate, neither do I wish to offend anyone here...
        (Brummie, you remind me of Johnny Rotten – in a good way!)
        Best regards,
        Maria

Comment

Working...
        X