• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steven Russell View Post
    Was a marriage licence expensive?

Best wishes,

Steve.

P.S. I wonder if the different religions had different rules / attitudes to "living in sin".
    I don't know Steve, but I seem to recall Mayhew mentioning the cost being a factor with the poor. And expense being relative, couples struggling just to keep one another's life and soul together would have struggled to justify a piece of paper announcing the fact.

Attitudes did probably differ according to one's religion, but for a Gentile at the very bottom of the ladder, for example, "living in sin" was the least of their worries and many would have had little or no time for religion or the Church.

Love,

Caz
    X
    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

...not to mention that you were supposed to make a donation to the clergyman or the church...not exactly possible when you couldn't come up with the money for a cuppa and a couple of slices of bread and butter....
      Cheers,
      cappuccina

"Don't make me get my flying monkeys!"

Comment

Friends, Romans, Countrymen I have finally solved ( I think) the puzzle. And what a mysterious maze it turned out to be. Hopefully I will be writing an article for the Rip about it in the near future.

Comment

Well done that man!

Love,

Caz
          X
          "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Working...
          X