Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East End Excursion

Hi all,

Later this month, the American researcher and author of the forthcoming Woman at the Devil's Door, Sarah Beth Hopton, is visiting the UK in order to conduct more research. Many of you will know that her book is a study of Mary Pearcey - the some-time purported "Jill the Ripper" - and if you haven't heard Sarah Beth's podcast, available on this site, I encourage you to do so.

Sarah Beth has suggested a tour around Whitechapel, so I'm throwing the offer open to Casebookers - the more the merrier. The provisional arrangement is to meet in the East End at 1930 hours BST on Saturday 29 May 2010 - we can agree a precise meeting place nearer the time. There'll be the chance to see the usual sites and sights, with refreshment in a suitable hostelry if we become thirsty. I'd be grateful if interested parties could sign up here.

It should be fun, so don't miss the opportunity to meet Sarah Beth and talk with her about her book and our mutual interests.

Regards,

Mark

No problem!

I'll just hop the next plane to London, take the Underground to Aldgate or Tower Station, and walk around the East end, and then be back in the US for work the next morning. HA ha, just joking. I wish I could because I have only been to London once, but sadly did not do a Ripper tour, which is one of the primary reasons I want to return. I'm sure she'll have a nice time though.

I wonder if anyone has ever actually done that though: flown to London, did a Ripper tour round the East End and then flown immediately back home. Never mind Parliament, St. Paul's Cathedral, The Eye, Windsor Palace, Tower bridge, Tower of London....just in, Ripper tour, and then out again. That would be funny.
    I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

Mark,

I replied to Sarah Beths private message on my Facebook account suggesting such a thing.

If she confirmed I was going to put a similar request out, so thanks for taking the duty on board.

Unfortunately I shall be unable to attend.

Monty
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Dear Casebookers,

Bumping.

Come one, come all.

Regards,

Mark

Comment

Bumping?

First, what is bumping?

Second, should I take the lack of response personally? LOL.

Comment

SBH -

Unless I've got it all wrong, bumping is when you move a thread back up to the top of the list in case it gets overlooked. I think it's probably bad manners in general, but in this case I thought I'd better do it - there are time restrictions, it's an event, I'm not just seeking wider attention for my dubious opinions.

You probably shouldn't take the lack of response personally, but what's to be lost - I've offered Whitechapel, an American researcher, and a visit to a hostelry. I expected to be selling tickets by now.

Regards,

Mark

Comment

Hello Mark,

Sadly, I cannot attend on the 29th, but wish you the best of luck for the day and hope you have a fun time!

best wishes

Phil
              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
              Accountability? ....

Comment

Sarah,

As a fellow Floridian myself, can I just advise you: PACK WARMLY. I have never been so cold in my life as I was in July in freaking England.

Wish I could go too, it's been ages since I got a proper Whitechapel tour.

Let all Oz be agreed;
                I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Yes, I just noticed that the high will be 70 for the entire 9 days I'm there. That really throws a kink in my one backpack plan of attack. Now it's sweaters and raincoats. Ugh. Thanks for the warning. I went to school in the UK and the coldest I've ever been in my life was one June in the north country. Strange.

Comment

Ally,

Give me a shout...I deal with you personally.

Monty
                    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

SBH -

Don't listen to Ally. 70 degrees is warm. If I was Philip Hutchinson I'd be out in shorts in that weather.

Regards,

Mark

Comment

Yes, but I'm a wimpy Floridian too. Shorts at 70. Naaaaah. It's jeans for me all the way.

Comment

Hi Mark,
                          We are going to be away on holiday from 26th so I am not able to go unfortunately.It sounds very good I must say.
                          All the Best
                          Norma
                          Last edited by Natalie Severn; 05-18-2010, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Mark,

I will be in London next weekend- what are the numbers thus far? Since our London Job acquaintance I have been busy - to say the least - on my documentary script, which has now grown into an accompanying book too, and I would very much welcome the opportunity to get some photos/ principal photography out of the way whilst sharing some interesting company. I can't commit 100 percent yet but I would definitely be interested. The alternative is that my wife and I may be filming the documentary that day, in which case I am sure we could still meet up somewhere along the way?

Comment

Hi Trevor,

The numbers so far are me, Sarah Beth and - I think - the author of the books E1: A Journey Through Whitechapel and Spitalfields and the lesser-known Sex, John G. Bennett. You would be very welcome to come along, with or without your better half. The more the merrier, as I said earlier.

The arrangements are:

- Saturday 29 May 2010

- 7:00 pm

- Aldgate East station (Whitechapel Road exit, next to the Art Gallery)

Hope this suits.

Regards,

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X