The 5th of November

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 5th of November

Happy Guy Fawkes Day to all my British friends on here, even though I'm from Philadelphia USA

Remember, Remember the fifth of November
    The gunpowder, treason, and plot
    I can think of no reason
    Why the gunpowder treason
    Should ever be forgot
    I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Hopefully the locals here will forget- the 'fun' of Guy Fawkes night is a childhood memory thankfully.
    Remember the pets I say- rant rant!
    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Guy Fawkes day isn't celebrated anymore?
      I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

It is.......but 'Health and Safety' has pushed it into public displays more than the old back garden death displays by dangerous Dads that I recall from my childhood- with some trepidation!
        'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Were having a street party, then I am taking Bradley to the display in the City Centre. Alyssa hates them, she will be hiding inside watching tv!
          Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Suzi View Post
            It is.......but 'Health and Safety' has pushed it into public displays more than the old back garden death displays by dangerous Dads that I recall from my childhood- with some trepidation!

Maybe in celebration of Guy Fawke's day it's time to blow up Parliament for real. Or at least the branch where the Health and Safety busybodies reside.

How do you people stand being nannied to death over there?

Let all Oz be agreed;
            I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Hate the nanny culture, and wish Guy Fawkes was alive today, he would get a much better reception!
              Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by JTRSickert View Post
                Happy Guy Fawkes Day to all my British friends on here, even though I'm from Philadelphia USA

Remember, Remember the fifth of November
                The gunpowder, treason, and plot
                I can think of no reason
                Why the gunpowder treason
                Should ever be forgot

Here's a link to some period Guy Fawkes material that I posted at JtR Forums. Enjoy.

Chris
                Christopher T. George
                Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Originally posted by Suzi View Post
                  It is.......but 'Health and Safety' has pushed it into public displays more than the old back garden death displays by dangerous Dads that I recall from my childhood
                  "Dangerous Dids", surely?
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Thanks JTRSickert for your kind wishes.

We have enjoyed a bonfire in the garden with fireworks..sausages,jacket potatoes,beans...crisps...rollmops..and lots of fizzy stuff...

As usual..I have to have monster Sparklers..all different colours,aswell.

The dog is worse than everyone else..she absolutely adores watching all the fireworks. This year,I thought I'd leave her indoors..so she howled her head off,until we opened the back door slightly (just enough for her to get her head out and see it all).

Thankfully,it didn't rain this year.

Comment

Oh you're welcome, Anna. I'm glad you had a nice time.

I wish I could've been there to partake in the festivities. I've only been over to your lovely country once. I definitely want to come back though. Maybe next time I'll be able to witness the Guy Fawkes celebration or attend the Lord Mayor's show.

Comment

Strange how Re-enactor's bonfire nights involve the Guy's head being stuffed with surplus Black Powder...........

Comment

Any Guy Fawkes enthusiasts should check out the graphic novel or the movie "V for Vendetta" if you haven't already. One of my favorites. Penny for the Guy!

Comment

Well, it is that time of year again. ironic how I, an American, am always the first one on here to bring this topic up since it is such an important holiday for you Brits. So, what are some of you fine ENglish ladies and gentlemen doing on this particular holiday? Any gonna watch "V for Vendetta?" I kno I probably will.

Anyone think a lot of people wil lbe wearing Guy Fawkes masks throughout the day, both posing as him and as "V?"

Comment

I'm reading up on whether the whole plot was supported by the government to strengthen their position.......Marvellous vision of a Stuart 'dirty tricks' department..............

Comment

Working...
                              X