You're in good companee - so don't despair;
    If, when your beady eye you are a-squintin'
    You can descry an "F" on Mary's wall
    Or if you see some thigh-flesh as a cushion
    When there's no "F" in flesh to see at all;

If you spend years just toying with the goyim,
    Or cling in desperation to a Pole;
    If Hutchinson and Fleming are the soyim
    Poys'n, and you think so - bless your soul!
    If you can search the census without sleeping
    Or dare to wear a pair of shorts for fun
    If you can't hear of Sickert without weeping,
    Then you're a Ripperologist, my son!
    if mickey's a mouse, and pluto's a dog, whats goofy?

Comment

If you check youtube at least once a week to see if anyone has uploaded a JtR documentary you might be a ripperologist.

If you check youtube to see if anyone has any "videos" of JtR to a groovie tune you just might be a ripperologist.

......... if one of your bedrooms happen to be the same size as MJK's and you rearrange the furniture for "measurements sake" because you THINK it's really going to open your eyes to something you might be a ripperologist.
      "Truth only reveals itself when one gives up all preconceived ideas. ~Shoseki

When one has one's hand full of truth it is not always wise to open it. ~French Proverb

Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first, it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, in the third it is regarded as self-evident. ~Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post

You cannot watch "From Hell" without shouting at the screen!
        Oh Yeah You and me both

You watch any Ripper film with other people and constantly point out every single wrong detail right down to the way the girls are dressed............

Want to give Michael Caine a crash course on the life of Frederick Abberline by beating him with the entire published works on the murders if necessary
        Last edited by belinda; 09-27-2008, 05:04 PM.

Comment

........When you keep checking this thread............
          'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Originally posted by belinda View Post
            Oh Yeah You and me both

You watch any Ripper film with other people and constantly point out every single wrong detail right down to the way the girls are dressed............

Want to give Michael Caine a crash course on the life of Frederick Abberline by beating him with the entire published works on the murders if necessary
            Not only Ripper films....My Wife won't watch ANYTHING historical with me...
            Similar threads on Re-enactment boards...I like the one that said You don't know where your passport is,but know the location of every obscure quote on your bookshelves...So true.....
            Steve

Comment

First off, Sam Flynn is my new poet laureate!

I saw an episode of "Monster House" a few years ago (one of those home re-do shows) and was totally inspired!

(Steve and his team of builders have five days to turn an average suburban house into an English style pub. It comes complete with gas lamps, steam vents, a projection of Jack the Ripper and a working bar.)

It was so great! You come up the cobblestone walk at night, steam rising from the vent, and strategically-placed gas lights throw a shadow of the cut-out of JTR on the brick wall. If you can get past that, you enter the English pub in the family room of the home.

The most I ever managed was my JTR Reading Room/downstairs toilet. It "amused" my guests. My bedroom is 12x12, and I have done some MJK conjecturing in it. I should put a sign on the door, 13 Millers Court.
              Joan

I ain't no student of ancient culture. Before I talk, I should read a book. -- The B52s

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
                If Stewart Evans is in your top three of people you'd like to have dinner with, along with Jesus and Buddha, you just might be a ripperologist
                What are you doing next Saturday evening, Stewart? Jesus and Buddha have RSVP'd and Jesus said he'll bring the wine.

If it's a Christmas tradition to get the new Ripper book, you might be a ripperologist. I just got Fiona Rule's new book, and am saving it to wrap, put under the tree, and make a big deal about it Christmas morning.
                Joan

I ain't no student of ancient culture. Before I talk, I should read a book. -- The B52s

Comment

Originally posted by Pippin Joan View Post
                  First off, Sam Flynn is my new poet laureate!
                  My bedroom is 12x12, and I have done some MJK conjecturing in it. I should put a sign on the door, 13 Millers Court.
                  Don't! Naming calls, docha know

Agree about Sam's 'If' - just brilliant!

There was a similar thread on the Patrick O'Brien board (loosley, nautical history novels), very amusing. We all have our obsessions. Mine is more in the vein of "...that would be a great name for a racehorse..." I must check the RP database to see if any of the recurring names on here has been used

Comment

I'd add, when you're prepared to spend several days arguing the exact location of a 'witness's" lodging room even though she was dead drunk, and says saw nothing......

Comment

When you remove a kidney from someone just to see if it can be done in under 5 minutes, you just might be a... Wait! Am I the only one?

Never mind.

Mike
                      huh?

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
                        When you remove a kidney from someone just to see if it can be done in under 5 minutes, you just might be a... Wait! Am I the only one?

Never mind.

Mike
                        oh, dear. There's always one that takes it just a little bit too far, isn't there?

As for books under the tree, I want to go to that Jonathan Goodman auction that Mr Evans so kindly posted notice of. My husband said, 'how much is that going to cost me?' We'll see; happily we're in London at that time (recession? c'est quoi? )
                        best,

claire

Comment

If every time you meet someone named Smith, you ask them if they are related to Emma .......
                          This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Stan, I am actually like that if I hear of people called either Stephenson or Dawber, I always politely ask if they know their family tree.

Only once have I found a link, but it got me untold treasures!!
                            Regards Mike

Comment

You might be a ripperologist... if like myself in a post just moments ago you:

1.) See something on a picture that looks like writing
                              2.) Despite your own common sense about pictures (which comes from having a paranormal team) you..
                              3.) Say it ("writing") might be something just for the mere sake that the 0000.00001% chance is something
                              4.) The same things you use to debunk "ghost pictures" can still be used on photos over 100 years old and get the conclusion that you already knew in the first place. Alas it was nothing.

Ahhhhh for the love of hope.
                              "Truth only reveals itself when one gives up all preconceived ideas. ~Shoseki

When one has one's hand full of truth it is not always wise to open it. ~French Proverb

Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first, it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, in the third it is regarded as self-evident. ~Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

I've got a few good ones....

If it's 4:03 in the morning, and you're still messing around on Casebook when you should be finishing that English paper that's due at your 8 o'clock class, you just might be a Ripperologist.

If you facepalmed when a friend asks you, "camera weren't invented by then, were they?" You may be a Ripperologist.

If you likewise did the same whenever you hear someone ask if Jack the Ripper was a real person, you may be a Ripperologist.

If you are a fan of Philip's youtube videos, you may be a Ripperologist.

If you would rather go to the next Ripper Conference than the next Olympics in London, you may be a Ripperologist.

If you search through the forums of this website and revive old threads, you might be a newbie to Casebook.
                                "You want to take revenge for my murdered sister? Sister would definitely have not ... we would not have wanted you to be like this."

~ Angelina Durless

Comment

Working...
                                X