Greatest hoax of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest hoax of all time?

The diary thread got me thinking about hoaxes. What’s the greatest one of all time?

The Trojan horse, piltdown man, Olson Wells war of the worlds radio broadcast, the Bigfoot video?

Any others?
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

The moon landings.

Comment

Aggers setting up Boycott to believe his 100th century was not at his home ground of Headingley against Australia but in Faisalabad against a presidents XI.

An incredulous Geoffrey Boycott reacts to news his famous 100th hundred might be in doubt.

Even if you don't like or understand cricket, it is still hilarious.
      My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Comment

Originally posted by DirectorDave View Post
        Aggers setting up Boycott to believe his 100th century was not at his home ground of Headingley against Australia but in Faisalabad against a presidents XI.

An incredulous Geoffrey Boycott reacts to news his famous 100th hundred might be in doubt.

I have no idea what you just said

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
          The moon landings.
          Yeah. That was a good one

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
            The diary thread got me thinking about hoaxes. What’s the greatest one of all time?

The Trojan horse, piltdown man, Olson Wells war of the worlds radio broadcast, the Bigfoot video?

Any others?
            It's not Orson Welles and his War of the Worlds broadcast. The panic surrounding that broadcast is mostly a myth. If anything the reports of "mass panic" was the hoax.

Comment

Originally posted by jason_c View Post
              It's not Orson Welles and his War of the Worlds broadcast. The panic surrounding that broadcast is mostly a myth. If anything the reports of "mass panic" was the hoax.
              I’ve never heard that, please expound.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Hans van Meegeren's forgeries of old masters, including Franz Hals and Vermeer, take a bit of beating. During the 1930's and 1940's he fooled nearly all of the so-called 'expert' art critics of the day. Hermann Goering sold over a hundred of his own collection of (genuine) paintings to buy one van Meegeren forgery, a Vermeer if I recall correctly. When van Meegeren was arrested at the end of WW2 and charged with forging Old Masters, many 'experts' still refused to accept that many of his paintings were forgeries, even though he confessed. He was a very good painter in his own right, and some of his genuine original works fetch high prices - the amazing thing is that at least some of his own works have been forged in turn by others. There is a lot on the internet about him and his work.

Graham
                We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Cricket fan and Boycott fan.....loved it. How did Aggers keep a straight face? I certainly couldn’t have
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                    I’ve never heard that, please expound.
                    Hi Abby,

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Boycott pretending not to be too bothered, then the relief in his voice when he was told it was a wind up was priceless

Comment

Not a hoax, because it wasn't intentional, but still worth mentioning :

It's 10 years since Guy Goma became a celebrity after he was mistaken for an internet expert and interviewed on BBC News TV.The unemployed computer technicia...

Comment

I vote for crop circles, because they were intentional hoaxes and weren't made by extraterrestrials.

The Moon Landings were NOT a hoax, they really happened.

Welles didn't intend to hoax the country with his broadcast, it was just a radio show for Pete's sake!
                          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                          ---------------
                          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                          ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                            Hans van Meegeren's forgeries of old masters, including Franz Hals and Vermeer, take a bit of beating. During the 1930's and 1940's he fooled nearly all of the so-called 'expert' art critics of the day. Hermann Goering sold over a hundred of his own collection of (genuine) paintings to buy one van Meegeren forgery, a Vermeer if I recall correctly. When van Meegeren was arrested at the end of WW2 and charged with forging Old Masters, many 'experts' still refused to accept that many of his paintings were forgeries, even though he confessed. He was a very good painter in his own right, and some of his genuine original works fetch high prices - the amazing thing is that at least some of his own works have been forged in turn by others. There is a lot on the internet about him and his work.

Graham
                            Hello Graham,

I read the book "The Man Who Made Vermeers" which is all about van Meegeren. It was very interesting and a good look inside the art world.

c.d.

Comment

Conspiracists! Here are the magazines for you! You don't think that William Shakespeare, the Bard of Avon, wrote the plays.... well here's the proof that Christopher Marlowe did the deed. He must have been okay if his name was Chris, right? The magazines are yours if you are the first to tell me how Kit Marlowe died. As before, previous winners of RipperCon 2018 swag cannot win again.

Christopher T. George
                              Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                              just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                              For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                              RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Working...
                              X