EU Vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rosella View Post
    Surely North Sea oil contracts were signed off by Great Britain as a whole not specifically Scotland, which was and still is part of the United Kingdom? When and if Scotland becomes a sovereign and independent nation then the contracts would have to be renegotiated, one would think.

As an ex Pom, and an Aussie of many decades standing I don't really have a direct interest anymore. However, most of my extended family still in Britain voted to stay in the EU, mainly because they come from rural counties and EU subsidies have greatly assisted British farming interests. I hope things go well for Britain but it does face a very uncertain future.
    Quite. The small (well, rapidly expanding now) town that I live in was pretty much brought back from the brink by EU investment and grants.

I'm a little bit surprised by quite how sad I am that we've done this. The mood at work today is bleak to say the least...

Comment

• Originally posted by Geddy2112 View Post
      The wimp has resigned, can't even do the job he was elected to do...
      I'm no fan of Cameron, but he did warn everyone of the likely economic repercussions of leaving, and the Brexit conspiracy theorists thought this was just a scaremongering lie. It's not a lie that the pound has done a huge belly flop. They were also all set to accuse MI5 of fixing the vote (FFS) when they feared it might go the other way.

Cameron gave us all a say in the matter, but wanted us to remain, so I'm not sure I blame him for giving someone else the unenviable task of steering us through our uncertain future. Someone should have told Boris to be careful what he wished for.

I'm depressed for the younger generation but this is democracy.

Love,

Caz
      X
      Last edited by caz; 06-24-2016, 04:08 AM.
      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Well they may wait and then have another referendum once some of those terrible old white men have dropped off the perch. The Remainers are such nice people :

Shadow Europe Minister Pat Glass was last week forced to apologise after calling a voter a "horrible racist" after they complained about their polish neighbours

Comment

• Some remainers are actually nice people, Robert.

Just as some leavers probably do believe things can only get better.

Love,

Caz
          X

Comment

• Hi Caz

Well, I'm out of the Village but there's a hearse driving up and down outside and a bloke carrying an umbrella when it isn't raining, so I'll keep you posted.

Comment

• My daughter is feeling very miserable today. She says the atmosphere in her Islington office is like someone died. Being a European in Europe is, of course, all she has ever known.

Love,

Caz
              X

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                Hi Caz

Well, I'm out of the Village but there's a hearse driving up and down outside and a bloke carrying an umbrella when it isn't raining, so I'll keep you posted.
                I feel more like the Prisoner now, in our self-imposed solitary confinement, with Boris as Number Two.

Love,

Caz
                X

Comment

• Caz, if you want to compare prisons, look at the history.

1973 - taken into the 'Common Market' without consultation.
                  1975 - referendum on membership delivers a 2-1 majority for staying in.

And then.....and then....41 years later, we're allowed another vote. Dire predictions of World War Three, economic collapse, a punitive budget from Georgie Boy if we dare to vote the 'wrong' way, threat that the Germans won't acknowledge Geoff Hurst's goal in 1966 - and we just shade it.

Which 'prison' do you think that it's easier to leave?

Comment

• Aha! Why am I not surprised?

A PETITION calling for a second EU referendum after yesterday's Brexit result has attracted more than three million signatures.

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
                      I'm no fan of Cameron, but he did warn everyone of the likely economic repercussions of leaving, and the Brexit conspiracy theorists thought this was just a scaremongering lie. It's not a lie that the pound has done a huge belly flop. They were also all set to accuse MI5 of fixing the vote (FFS) when they feared it might go the other way.

Cameron gave us all a say in the matter, but wanted us to remain, so I'm not sure I blame him for giving someone else the unenviable task of steering us through our uncertain future. Someone should have told Boris to be careful what he wished for.

I'm depressed for the younger generation but this is democracy.

Love,

Caz

X
                      Hi Caz,

I get the impression Britain has not had much success with Prime Ministers since Mrs. Thatcher - but looking at U.S. Presidents, who am I to talk.

It will be a curious year to come, with the ripple effects on the EU by Brixit, and the effect on not only Britain's economy but the global one. It may affect ("shudder!!!") the U.S Presidential election.

During the last week I noticed a curious item. Somewhere Gunnar Myrdal must be acting like he's on a rotisserie spit in his grave. Sweden tightened it's immigration laws against the wave of refugees from the Middle East and Africa. Myrdal, so eloquent a denouncer of the U.S. for it's racist policies towards African-Americans in the 1950s, probably would not know what to make of this. But on top of the action by Sweden, what does Frau Merkel in Germany think of it?

Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                        I take it the 'leavers' are already realising their mistake then.

Love,

Caz
                        X

Comment

• Jeff, as far as the Common Market etc is concerned, Thatcher was barely better than the other PMs. She was a member of Ted Heath's government which took us in, and I think I'm right in saying that she campaigned for us to stay in during the 1975 referendum.

Actually, apart from Farage, the guy who leavers like me most have to thank is pro-European Labour PM Gordon Brown. During his years as Chancellor of the Exchequer he consistently refused to join the common currency (the 'Euro'). Of course, we were warned of disaster if we didn't join, but nothing happened. But something did happen to the Greeks, who did join the Euro. Something very unpleasant indeed.

Comment

• Best of luck to my British friends! God bless and hope it turns out OK.
                            Hope the world economy/security holds up. scary times.

But as Caz said-it is a democracy.

Comment

• I voted Remain, and until about an hour ago thought that the UK electorate had made a big mistake. However, on reflection, I'm not so sure. I remember very well Edward Heath when Prime Minister pushing for all he was worth to get us into the EEC, as it then was. I voted against joining (the vote at the time was 2 to 1 in favour of joining). I always felt, as did zillions of others, that joining the EEC was Ted Heath's personal crusade - after all, he did precious little else for the UK, apart from screwing us up with his disastrous Industrial Relations Act and his god-damned Three Day Week. I voted against him at the 1974 General Election, which as expected was won by Harold Wilson's Labour party. Heath in my humble opinion was the worst PM this country ever had, with the possible exception of Callaghan. Anyway, I had an e-mail a short time ago from my friend in Holland, who said that the general feeling on the streets there is 'three cheers and good luck' to the UK! There is, he said, a big undercurrent of anti-EU feeling in Holland, and it's getting stronger, as it is in other EU countries including France and Italy.

I've been thinking what has being in the EU for 43 years done for me as (a) an individual; (b) as a member of my local community; (c) as an employee of a British company until my retirement. Answer: not a lot. At least, nothing tangible other than to swamp my former employer with red tape. Another thing: earlier today the City Slickers were lining up on window ledges ready to jump because the FTSE100 had fallen 8% or so; yet it's back up almost to what it was this time last week. Plus, the Japanese Nikkei Index has fallen 8% over the last day or so. Has Japan left the EU as well, then?

So far, the only country to have left the EEC/EU is Greenland, and they seem to have done all right, all 75 of them. And Robert - re: your post, I was no fan of Gordon Brown but you are absolutely correct in what you say about his refusal to join the Euro.

I thank you.

Graham
                              We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• Hi Graham

We weren't asked in 1975 about joining - we were already in. We were asked if we wanted to be in or out.

I was just thinking the other day, I thought Heath was our worst Prime Minister. But then I decided that Cameron just shades it. Maybe Chamberlain at #3 with Blair #4.

I voted for Labour in 1974 precisely in order to get a referendum. It was clear that the tories - the 'patriotic party' as they impudently style themselves - weren't going to give us one. I don't believe that Wilson would have either, were it not for the knife-edge nature of his majority.

Re the City Slickers - I believe violent mood changes are common amongst cokeheads.

Comment

Working...
                                X