No announcement yet.

EU Vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well Pistorius doesn't care, that's for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
      Does the phrase "ever closer union" ring a bell?
      It rings a bell on that this is usually used as a catch-phrase but this is not current EU policy. Post a link to a EU project, treaty or anything please.
      Last edited by Svensson; 07-31-2016, 04:01 AM.

Comment

• Comment

• This is 60 years old. Much of that content has been replaced by successive treaties like the ones of Maastricht, Nice or Lisbon. Besides the Rome treaty is only dealing with economic issues a describes the single market, which is something that even the leave camp wanted. More telling info can be found at Wikipedia IMO:

Negotiations to modify EU institutions began in 2001, resulting first in the Treaty establishing a Constitution for Europe, which would have repealed the existing European treaties and replaced them with a "constitution". Although ratified by a majority of member states, this was abandoned after being rejected by 54.67% of French voters on 29 May 2005[7][8] and then by 61.54% of Dutch voters on 1 June 2005.[9] After a "period of reflection", member states agreed instead to maintain the existing treaties, but to amend them, salvaging a number of the reforms that had been envisaged in the constitution. An amending "reform" treaty was drawn up and signed in Lisbon in 2007.

So further integration is not current EU policy. No matter how much the UK press claim this to be the case.

Comment

• I see. It isn't the EU policy. It just came about by accident.

Ever closer union. It means what it says. It is mentioned here :

Notice "in view of further steps to be taken to advance European integration."

Comment

• Yes indeed the preamble lists the scope of the document, which does include such steps as they pertain to areas like consumer protection, product improvement and safety, etc. Area where the EU already does have powers. However, the big red flags, as they a considered by the anti-europe fraction in society, integration on legislative an executive powers (political union), European army, European Government, European police forces, etc. are basically absent. There are no EU embassies in the world and there are no such plans.

Comment

• Svensson, you can't have economic union without political union. The two entail each other.

Comment

• Well, that's where the EU attempts to get different than conventional wisdom. Remember that much of this has never been attempted before. It's cutting-edge politics albeit in a very boring way. And I think that we already do have economic union without political union.

Comment

• And I think that we already do have economic union without political union.

And that's one of the reasons why it isn't working.

Comment

• Working pretty well actually. Living standards have never been higher. The UK have never had that many people in employment, Germany is the largest exporter of quality goods, Poland is becoming a real economic power since joining, Hungary, Slovakia, Czech Republic and the Baltic states are being lifted out of their Soviet era quagmires, people from all over the world flock to EU countries in search of opportunities and a better life. Legally and even illegally.

These are the facts. But of course, some people would like to tell you that this country 's backbone is broken, that we are staring into the abyss an that immediate corrective action is required. This is of course not the only thing that Trump, Farrage, Wilders and Le Pen have in common.

Comment

• Svensson, I do believe that the EU is staring into the abyss. But don't worry, it will now take a giant step forward.

Yes, I've noticed people flocking to the EU, thanks to Mama Merkel. How's that going, by the way?

Living standards have never been higher? Bloody hell, good job the Greeks joined up then, or they'd be bankrupt and unemployed by now.

BTW, I think the EU should stop using Beethoven's Ninth to promote itself. I've a better idea :

Igor Gruppman conducts Haydn's "Farewell" Symphony, No. 45, 4th mvt.www.igorgruppman.com

Only the Germans will be playing at the end.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
                          Hello Caz!

No. I wouldn't be in the queue let alone at the front of the queue.

Someone's foot fungus is not my concern!
                          May I presume someone's homelessness wouldn't be your concern either - unless they broke into yours to shelter from the rain?

I'd probably vote to keep it on the grounds that it's hardly a threat to peace and prosperity and too much meddling isn't a good thing.

Whatever happened to just leaving things alone?!
                          Fine if things are okay for you left as they are. But all those who voted to leave the EU clearly felt 'leaving things alone' would suck.

Love,

Caz
                          X
                          "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
                            May I presume someone's homelessness wouldn't be your concern either - unless they broke into yours to shelter from the rain?

Fine if things are okay for you left as they are. But all those who voted to leave the EU clearly felt 'leaving things alone' would suck.

Love,

Caz
                            X
                            No, you really shouldn't presume.

By anyone's standards, being homeless and being afflicted by Athlete's Foot really aren't comparable.

Leaving the EU was an exercising in leaving things alone. Our way of life; not the European way of life.

Love X

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                              Svensson, I do believe that the EU is staring into the abyss. But don't worry, it will now take a giant step forward.

Yes, I've noticed people flocking to the EU, thanks to Mama Merkel.
                              They have flocked to the EU long before Merkel got involved.

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                              How's that going, by the way?
                              Only time will tell. Thing is that German is an ageing population and need to do something to keep paying state pensions at the same level as they are now. The advantage of immigration is this: whenever a child is born, that child is not immediately economically active. The state needs to invest in that child for 16-24 years before it starts paying into the system. The investment is considerable actually. Health care, Schooling, public transport, tax credits, etc. With immigrants, these up-front costs are not required and they can start working and spending money immediately. This, btw, is also the main point why the whole "immigrants are a strain on our services" argument is complete rubbish but as usual, Cameron didnt't ask me for my opinion before the referendum

Unless of course, you are talking about these so-called terrorist attacks in Germany recently. If so, the BBC have just released a good article shedding some light on this. I find the difference in how German US politicians treat this subject very interesting: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36985861

That article, btw, contains two links to the Daily Express and the Daily Mail as examples of false press reports (or at the very least, seriously misleading) which is par for the course I guess...

Living standards have never been higher? Bloody hell, good job the Greeks joined up then, or they'd be bankrupt and unemployed by now.
                              The EU doesn't give you immunity from shooting yourself in the head.

BTW, I think the EU should stop using Beethoven's Ninth to promote itself. I've a better idea :

Igor Gruppman conducts Haydn's "Farewell" Symphony, No. 45, 4th mvt.www.igorgruppman.com

Only the Germans will be playing at the end.
                              Haydn. German again. How about a UK contribution instead to mix things up a little..?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPYZpwSpKmA
                              Last edited by Svensson; 08-08-2016, 12:41 AM.

Comment

• Yes Svensson, I saw the article. Like everything else from the BBC, I take it with a pinch of salt.

Well, you've really disappointed me. Up to now, the story had always been that Mama Merkel had invited the refugees out of sheer compassion. Not compassion on her part, of course - she isn't paying - but compassion on Germany's part. Well, not all on Germany's part, of course, because Mama Merkel is trying to force every other country in the EU to take their 'fair share.' Which is strange, considering that these people are going to create a dynamic economy and pay for the Germans' pensions. You'd think she'd want them all to herself. Odd. Anyway, I am terribly disillusioned, because here was I thinking that this was a marvellous gesture of compassion - and it turns out that the refugees are only wanted to pay the Germans' pensions. Oh well. The good news is that the Hungarians are holding a referendum, and the signs are that they will tell Mama Merkel to get stuffed. So Germany will have the refugees allocated to Hungary. Maybe other countries will generously agree to let Germany have their allocations too.

The EU doesn't give you immunity from shooting yourself in the head.

Especially when your 'friends' give you a loaded gun.

Haydn. German again

I always thought Haydn was Austrian. Has there been another Anschluss? The last one was 1938. I don't think there's been another one, unless the Germans did it on the quiet.

Comment

Working...
                                X