EU Vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by John G View Post
    I think your correct about Corbyn, and frankly his response to the result-"I did my best" was pathetic, because frankly mate, your best wasn't nearly good enough.

Corbyn has presented himself as a principled, conviction politician, and it's therefore his own fault that he allowed himself to be steamrolled into supporting, albeit in a lacklustre way, something he probably didn't believe in. Frankly he should have stuck to his guns and I'm afraid he's only got himself to blame for not doing so.
    What I will give you is that during Theresa May's first PMs question time, Corbyn raised serious issues for discussion, while May resorted to petty insults and generally made an absolute arsehole of herself. Corbyn looked every bit the more serious politician.

That said, Corbyn doesn't believe in the EU, never has done, but he forgot those principles when it came to his career. In my view, better to be hanged as a sheep than a lamb, and perhaps Corbyn didn't have the courage of his convictions when it really got down to the nitty-gritty. Just another politician I suppose.

But, that sort of thing wins and loses votes. Had Corbyn stuck to his guns, then it would certainly have caught my attention and I'm prepared to vote for anyone who holds conviction, and would have looked at the Labour Party differently in the event he had stood his ground.

Comment

• IF Corbyn had believed in Leaving, I think he would have made a more factual contribution to the debate than the other leavers and it is likely that the whole debate would have been held in a more civilised and productive manner than it was.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svensson View Post
        IF Corbyn had believed in Leaving, I think he would have made a more factual contribution to the debate than the other leavers and it is likely that the whole debate would have been held in a more civilised and productive manner than it was.
        Corbyn is typical of the left-wing's stance that migrant labour usurps centuries of hard won workers' rights, at the expense of labour in favour of business.

He doesn't believe in the EU at all, never has done.

What we really need in this country are politicians who are prepared to stand up for what they believe in, prepared to put principles before the outcome; and even though I don't like Labour I would have been prepared to vote for them had he followed his convictions. Because it would have been a step down the road to returning politics to convictions over style, and in this day and age we're crying out for substance and substance would triumph over beliefs when it comes to my voting choice.

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post

Blimey, you're on fire, FM.
          I'm only here for a bit crack on, Caz - you know that!

Originally posted by caz View Post

The 'people' would jump at a referendum on giving us all a million pounds each, or abolishing income tax, athlete's foot or dandruff, but if Cameron had promised one, would you have said 'fair play to him'?
          What on earth is the significance of this?

The people would jump at a referendum 'on athlete's foot'?

Are you another one who thinks 'the people' are stupid and you alone and associated left-wingers hold the solution?

Originally posted by caz View Post

It's not about what I personally prefer, though, is it? If Cameron knew the will of the majority was to leave the EU, then yes, he did the honourable thing by not trying to escape from his referendum promise. But did he know? I actually gave him the benefit of the doubt when I said he must have had an inkling if he considered that promise to be a vote catcher, and it duly got him back into number ten. Other posters believe the Brexit vote caught him completely by surprise, so it's far from cut and dried.

Love,

Caz
          X
          They always knew it was touch and go, as opinion polls suggested.

Comment

I'm not too sure what Trump ready stands for, and he probably doesn't either. However, I suspect that, like Homer Simpson, he probably doesn't go in for too much profound thinking. However, unlike "The Don" Homer did make at least one profound statement:

"Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems."
            How about

"Pork, Bacon, Ham, all off one animal, a mystical magical animal".
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
              How about

Jf we are still considering Homer Simpson, he doesn't say "MMMM....Bacon...." but "MMMMM...Donuts!!!!" He even enjoyed (in a fantasy episode) the fact that it was raining donuts outside his home.

Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                Jf we are still considering Homer Simpson, he doesn't say "MMMM....Bacon...." but "MMMMM...Donuts!!!!" He even enjoyed (in a fantasy episode) the fact that it was raining donuts outside his home.

Jeff
                Man after me own heart, Homer.
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• "Evil attacks the weakest, denies truth & love, is defeated through Jesus Christ. Pray for France, for victims, for their communities." - Justin Welby

Does Welby have anything more solid?

Comment

I'm not too sure what Trump ready stands for, and he probably doesn't either. However, I suspect that, like Homer Simpson, he probably doesn't go in for too much profound thinking. However, unlike "The Don" Homer did make at least one profound statement:

"Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems."
                    Hi John,

It took me awhile to "trump" the quote on beer from the great Homer Simpson.

From "All in the Family" - Archie Bunker: "You never can enjoy a good beer permanently - you can only borrow it for awhile!"

Jeff

Comment

• I don't know why these people are bothering, since I don't suppose the Pope will want a bodyguard. I'm confident that His Holiness will request no protection at all, since he will doubtless be anxious to set an example in 'overcoming fear.'

In his first speech in the Polish city of Krakow, at the start of his five-day visit to the country, Pope Francis told leaders that opening doors to migrants requires 'great wisdom and compassion'.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                        It's like a turkey giving everyone a vote for Christmas in March, so it can secure its place at the head of the table, then trying desperately to turn everyone veggie by November when it realises its mistake

Don't forget to put the sprouts on, Caz.
                        They're boiling away nicely, Robert. Should be done by Dec 25th.

Love,

Caz
                        X
                        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by Fleetwood Mac View Post
                          The people would jump at a referendum 'on athlete's foot'?

Are you another one who thinks 'the people' are stupid and you alone and associated left-wingers hold the solution?
                          I thought it was obvious I was just pulling your leg, FM. But then if athlete's foot could be abolished, wouldn't we all be at the front of the queue to vote not to keep it? I can't recall ever suffering from it myself, so my vote would be to keep the nation's feet healthy.

Love,

Caz
                          X

Comment

• Thank heavens for that, Caz!

Comment

• I would vote to keep the foot, but the athlete can go.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                                How about

Hi GUT,

When my daughter was small, she fondly imagined that sausages were somehow harvested from pigs without killing them, like wool from sheep, or milk from cows I suppose. When she tried roast duck for the first time, I asked if she was fine with eating the "quack quack" and she replied "Oh yes, it's already dead".

She now eats anything and everything.

Love,

Caz
                                X

Comment

Working...
                                X