No announcement yet.

EU Vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the greek crisis didn't happen because they were part of the Euro, it happened because they over-borrowed.

Comment

• Tell that to the Greeks.

Comment

• I'm sure they already know.

Comment

• BTW Svensson, you said that many Germans didn't want to give up their currency and replace it with the Euro - which I can understand, especially given the 1923 business. Did the Germans get a referendum on that? Or how did the government sell the idea to them?

Comment

• Originally posted by Svensson View Post
            Mr. D, the politicians are scrambling because they are duty-bound to do their job and serve their country. This vote should not have been score-settling with the political class, it should have been about deciding what is the best decision for the UK going forward. And trust me, it is Joe Average who will have to deal with the consequences, not the political class.
            No, it's because they're career politicians who are only out to feather their own nests. Thanks to Brexit they'll actually have to start earning their exorbitant wages for once.

Originally posted by Svensson View Post
            And trust me, it is Joe Average who will have to deal with the consequences, not the political class.
            Which was the case while we were subservient to the EU globalists.

Originally posted by Svensson View Post
            And remember, you will be reliant on the political classes that you seem to despise so much to actually deliver a deal that with put the UK in a strong position. If you have no trust in the politicians, why hand over your yours and your children's future to them?
            Joke's on you, pal. I don't have kids.

Also, at least this way the decisions will be made by OUR democratically elected officials instead of the unelected mandarins in Brussels.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
              BTW Svensson, you said that many Germans didn't want to give up their currency and replace it with the Euro - which I can understand, especially given the 1923 business. Did the Germans get a referendum on that? Or how did the government sell the idea to them?
              Not sure how they sold it, I was already living in the UK at the time. But there are no provisions for a referendum in the German constitution, which btw was pretty much dictated by the allies in 1948/49. However, this is not really an issue. there has never really been an issue where the German population demanded a referendum for anything. Not for EU or NATO membership, not for reunification and also not for the Euro. The Anti-immigrant AfD have called for a referendum on Friday, but this just shows that they don't know the basics, which is the 146 articles of the constitution.

Comment

• There seem to be a lot of people here in Britain who want another referendum because they didn't like the way this one went.

The best of three, maybe?

And if that happens then I think we should have a re-match football game between Iceland and England because there are a lot of people here who didn't like the the result.
                This is simply my opinion

Comment

• Ah well, the mistake Joe Hart made was in getting rid of his dandruff. If you look at the Icelandic players, every one of them had tons of the stuff. Each time they headed the ball, people were blinded for miles around. I feel that this was the difference between the two teams.

Comment

• David Cameron says 'Brits don't quit' .......

Less than seven days later....

David Cameron resigns after UK votes to leave European Union

The Labour party threatened to split in two as 46 of its most senior MPs resigned in protest

Roy Hodgson quits as England manager after humiliating defeat by Iceland

No punch line necessary...
                    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                      No current politician, left or right, seems to be able to state truthfully what is best for the country. They are, almost without exception, a shameful shower who have visited immeasurable suffering to hard-working people whilst filling their own coffers.

This was my opinion in the run-up to the referendum, and given the behaviours, attitudes and antics on both sides of the house AND in the European Parliament in recent days, this opinion is strengthening by the hour.

How on earth do we move forward?

Comment

• I saw on the news last night that Boris Johnson has decided not to try for the Prime Minister position, as he doesn't believe he's the right person to lead Britain now.
                        Who is, then?
                        Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                        ---------------
                        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                        ---------------

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                          I saw on the news last night that Boris Johnson has decided not to try for the Prime Minister position, as he doesn't believe he's the right person to lead Britain now.
                          Who is, then?
                          I don't believe for one minute that he 'doesn't believe he's the right person'. It has been his ambition for a good number of years. More than likely, he has realised that the Tory Party would not select him when pitched against the other candidates so he's stepped out of the race.

If I was asked to personally choose a candidate from those most likely to run, that is: Gove, Fox, Crabb and May, I would choose Theresa May but personally, I think there should be a General Election.

Comment

• Julie, how can you have a general election when one party doesn't have a leader and the other hasn't got enough MPs prepared to serve as shadows?

Comment

• I reckon Boris decided not to go for the position of Leader of the Conservative Party not because of any issue with the party, but because, by virtue of the current set-up of Westminster, he would also need to be PM.

It's clear that the next PM will need to be the one at the table negotiating the terms of our exit from the EU.

This will be difficult. The next PM will have to choose between a very conciliatory exit that leaves the door open enough for a return to the EU on favourable terms ("Boris doesn't Believe in Britain!" screams tabloids, losing the PM support that they will need should an election be earlier than 2020, or even if an election is as late as 2020), or an exit which effectively sticks two fingers up at the EU (which will mean the EU could respond with harsher terms on trade.) In short, it's an unwinnable situation.

Boris wants to be successful as a PM; whoever succeeds Cameron won't be able to be successful as a PM if they've got to negotiate the terms of Brexit.

I think it will be Gove, which is a concern (I'm a teacher, so I can speak first hand of his "genuis").

Syrius

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                                Julie, how can you have a general election when one party doesn't have a leader and the other hasn't got enough MPs prepared to serve as shadows?
                                Very good question - but that does not mean that it should not happen.

This hopeless mess has been caused by Cameron promising a referendum he believed would not result in our exit from the EU and the egos of other 'make-it-up-as-they-go-along' politicians. As I wrote previously, Boris didn't even have an exit plan! Having created this mess together, they have abandoned ship - probably so that they cannot be blamed for any future disasters resulting from our exit.

The only solution is a General Election, or a Coalition Government so that out exit is as carefully negotiated as it can be.

Comment

Working...
                                X