Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Svensson View Post
    A bit like people suggesting that the Germans want to rule Europe, lol
    What exactly do you mean when you say 'rule'?

Comment

• Hi Steve

Yes, you couldn't rejoin on the same terms.

Even if the objections aren't ad hoc, the petition certainly is.

I was reading on a BBC site today, some Eurocrat saying 'we must invent a new Europe.' I think that kind of language explains a lot.

Anyway, nice talking to you Steve.

Comment

• I hardly ever sign petitions, and of course won't be signing this one, but if the linked item is correct then I was wrong to say that the petition was ad hoc. According to this, it's an old petition placed by someone some time ago, which aroused little interest, but has now been used by disgruntled remainers. There are also suggestions that people from abroad have been signing it.

THIS is the ANTI EU politics student whose petition to Parliament could potentially derail the Brexit decision Vote Leave campaigners have been celebrating since Friday.

Comment

• There is also a petition going on if England get beat in the Euros off Iceland on Monday night that we can replay the game till we win.... seems fair.

Regarding the 'we want another referendum' petition there is nothing at all stopping people who are not eligible to vote signing it. My German better half could if she wanted to. Hey the result might not have been what everyone wanted or expected but that is democracy.... suck it up!

Comment

• Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
            Yes it's looking likely. If Scotland do leave Britain maybe the people of Wales and Northern Ireland will want a vote for independence too. It wouldn't surprise me if other countries in the EU will want a referendum as well.

Cheers John
            As immigration was a significant issue in this EU referendum in England, I'd like to see how they stop immigrants coming into England via Scotland once the Scots get their independence.

Maybe Trump was in Scotland to give a quote on re-building Hadrians Wall?
            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Jon, with Scotland staying in the EU, and the rest of the country outside it, the Scots will be so much wealthier than us that no immigrant would even think of coming here. They will make a bee line for Scotland. You mark my words.

Comment

• Robert,

I saw today an amusing little post that may tickle your fancy. ☺
                Germany, Spain and France are prepared to give the following concessions if we still remain...

1) that it be officially recognised forever that the ball really did cross the line in 1966 and that it really was a goal.
                2) that we can finally go around and freely say "nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition" after getting arrested on holiday on the Costa Brava without any bad consequences.
                3) that 'allo 'allo will finally be recognised as farce and satire and will not be subtitled or dubbed or edited.
                4) that we can call our beer 'beer' even though it isn't lager.
                5) that steak and kidney pie will be considered a delicacy in line with snails.
                6) that Basil Fawlty be allowed to brcome the next Prime Minister, which would allow him to mention what he tells people not to mention.
                7) That Rutland be finally recognised as a Country in order for them to challenge Luxembourg, San Marino and Liechtenstein to a Test Series at Cricket.
                8) That Cornish pasties don't have to be made in Cornwall to be called such.
                9) That delivering milk in glass bottles on a doorstep is an excellent idea.
                10) that bananas and cucumbers can now be any shape or size..and sold by the lb.
                11) that eating fish and chips out of newspaper is not a health hazard.
                12) that British humour be recognised as unequalled in European culture.
                13) that all visitors to GB from EU countries take written and oral exams in Cockney, Glaswegian English, South Yorkshire English, Tyneside English and Welsh. Cornish would be a multiple choice exam.
                and finally
                14) that we are allowed to leave the Eurovision song Contest and never show it again on our televisions however much they beg us to participate and watch.

...😉😄😁

in these days of vitriol and mudslinging..a little light hearted fun to relax the mood.
                Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                Accountability? ....

Comment

• Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                  Robert,
                  9) That delivering milk in glass bottles on a doorstep is an excellent idea.
                  You have got to be the only country left in the civilised world still to do that. If the Americans will only abolish the death penalty nation-wide, they'll have taken the lead over you, and not even afternoon tea could save you
                  Have fun with your medieval milk.

Comment

• Phil, I like your list, especially the last two items! However, although the Eurovision is a pile of crap and I wouldn't watch it under threat of torture, it does give the Anglophobe continentals another opportunity to place on record what they think of our country. Up theirs.

I apologise if someone's posted along these lines previously, but it's occurred to me that, if the majority of the population wish for the UK to leave the EC, how come there weren't loads of UKIP MP's voted in at the last General Election? Which makes me wonder just how people were influenced to vote Leave.

Graham
                    We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• I enjoyed that, Phil. Yes, humour is always welcome.

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham View Post
                        I apologise if someone's posted along these lines previously, but it's occurred to me that, if the majority of the population wish for the UK to leave the EC, how come there weren't loads of UKIP MP's voted in at the last General Election? Which makes me wonder just how people were influenced to vote Leave.

Graham
                        Hello Graham,

Living in Norway..I look at this from perhaps a different angle. Three things I considered are the following..

a) it is a fact that the younger generation voted..in the main..to remain..yet the older generation, in general, voted out.
                        The places where the younger generation voted most, gave a lower turnout figure. The places with the highest turnout provided the most older generation voters.
                        Likewise, high turnouts in traditional working class areas.

b) Older voters took the opportunity to be heard. To state their long time grievances. This crossed the political spectrum.

c) the working class man, again, independent of party political sway, did the same. It was their chance to literally stand up and make a statement..be counted. That is why in many Labour areas of traditional working class poplace, they voted not with party politics in mind.

So the combination of older generation, working class people, made the difference. If more youngsters had turned out to vote..perhaps it may have been different.
                        please note too, that including all areas in Scotland, Northern Ireland and London combined, (the crux of the remain vote), with the odd areas in England..totalled only 129 of the 382 areas. That meant that 253 areas out of 382 voted out. Put as a percentage. .That's around 68% of the total voting area voting out.

I only put this down as fact on record. It strikes me personally therefore that the vast majority of the areal population felt affected negatively in one way or another by living under the umbrella of the EU and spoke out against various perceived constraints.
                        London, oppositely, with stronger business ties to the EU, and Scotland with the reason of remaining solid and safe within the EU as promised them by government under the referendum on Nationality independence voted remain.

Just an observation. ☺
                        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                        Accountability? ....

Comment

• Referendum football

Remain Utd supporters : We wuz robbed....if his foot hadn't slipped....he was through on goal. Blatant foul.....the ball bobbled as he went to hit it....that was never a penalty....the bloody manager left our best player on the bench....scored in the last minute. They only won because of Boris time....the match should be replayed.

Comment

• These are tumultuous times but with them comes the opportunity to reclaim control of our own country. When the politicians are scrabbling around to pick up the pieces, I know my decision has been vindicated. They weren't expecting this to happen. They thought all the scaremongering and misinformation spread by the 'Remain' campaign would fool the British people. They were wrong and now must deal with the consequences.

Comment

• It's a good job they never managed to organize their EU army in time. That army isn't intended to be used solely abroad.

Comment

• Another stroke of luck : we have the extremely well-informed Mr Albarn to enlighten us, and ensure that we won't be ill-informed next time :

I thought I would post a link to one of Mr Albarn's records, not because I like the music, but because I like the title :

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                                X