Separate Bathrooms by Religion? - A New Front in Transgender Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
    The problem I envisage with all this is that of unintended consequences. I can understand how a man whose self-identity is female might feel uncomfortable using a toilet with other men; likewise how a woman in the reverse situation might find her situation similarly difficult. How though, do you distinguish between the man who is genuinely trans-gender and the opportunist rapist who seeks to take advantage of all this?
    Five o'clock shadow, Bridewell?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

How does anyone ever tell if a male in the Gents might be a predatory homosexual, or a female in the ladies a predatory Lesbian, unless they actually act the part and make a pass? Physical appearance and clothing don't always give the game away and are totally irrelevant in my view if people keep themselves to themselves and don't try anything on.

It's a bodily function. Get in, get on and get out.
    Exactly.

It's a bodily function. Get over it.

I was in Wembley for a Rod Stewart concert back in the day and the queues for the Ladies were, as per usual, ridiculously long. Not wanting to miss a second of the concert I tried the Gents, which had cubicles free. I asked nicely first and nobody in there objected, so I averted my eyes and went for it. Life's too short!

Love,

Caz
    X
    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

The French take a far more pragmatic attitude than we do to all this crap - whoops, sorry! - about crap. Drive along any N-route in France and every so often you'll see place called an 'aire', meaning just 'area'. This is somewhere you can pull over for a rest, eat your pain au chocolator whatever, or relieve yourself. Normally, an aire will have just a few trees, parking spaces, a rubbish bin, maybe a couple of picnic tables, and not much else. Very few of them have a public lavatory. Many is the time I've been glad to come across one of these pull-ins on a long drive. Like all self-conscious Brits I wait until there's no-one else near before hiding myself behind a suitable tree. Not so the French - they just stop, hop out, nip into the trees, un-zip, relax, and off again, without caring who sees them.

Graham
      We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

I am genuinely lost on this subject. I don't understand why people think that dressing as a woman and going into ladies toilets will become a strategy for rapists.

Apart from the fact that they would a) be incredibly easy to spot after the fact and b) highly likely to be disturbed in the act, I'm at a loss to explain why anyone would think that these type of people need to disguise themselves in order to rape. They usually just do it.

I think it's terribly insulting to men in general as well as the Trans community. There is this slight undertone to all this that given half a chance, men will exploit the opportunity to rape someone. It's very bizarre, and frankly stinks of the same kind of thinking that women need to wear the Niquab in order to help men 'control their urges'.

It's all very daft. Just go for a pee and stop making a bloody fuss about it all.

Comment

Well, I'm jolly well not going into any pagan toilets. I'm not sacrificing my c*ck for anyone.

Comment

There you go! I've already been disemvowelled.

Comment

Originally posted by MsWeatherwax View Post
              I am genuinely lost on this subject. I don't understand why people think that dressing as a woman and going into ladies toilets will become a strategy for rapists.

Apart from the fact that they would a) be incredibly easy to spot after the fact and b) highly likely to be disturbed in the act, I'm at a loss to explain why anyone would think that these type of people need to disguise themselves in order to rape. They usually just do it.

I think it's terribly insulting to men in general as well as the Trans community. There is this slight undertone to all this that given half a chance, men will exploit the opportunity to rape someone. It's very bizarre, and frankly stinks of the same kind of thinking that women need to wear the Niquab in order to help men 'control their urges'.

It's all very daft. Just go for a pee and stop making a bloody fuss about it all.
              It's not about the bathrooms. It seems ridiculous. Of course it is. But the line in the bill under the ridiculous bathroom rule makes it legal to fire someone for being LGBTQ. It is legal to discriminate against them. It is legal to refuse to serve them or rent to them. Which oh so conveniently got lost in the Bathroom debate.
              The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by MsWeatherwax View Post

Hi, Ms. Weatherwax.

Some conservative posters on another forum I'm on seem to think making all restrooms open to all sexes will lead to "incidents" in which a man follows a woman in and attacks her. I guess they think he wouldn't even need to cross-dress, he'll just claim to be a transgender person who "identifies" with the other gender.

Recently a woman with cropped hair (she had cut her hair for charity) who was wearing a baseball cap was verbally assaulted by another woman who took her for a man while using the Ladie's room at Walmart, of all places.
                The idea that it is now "okay" to insult people and make obscene gestures at them because you "think" they are not like you is horrible, and a great breach of etiquette.

The insulted woman posted a video on the Interent about it, explaining, "Yes, I am a woman, and if this is how Transgender people are treated, it's definitely wrong!"

I mean really-- will those of us who are female but prefer a more tomboyish appearance need to carry copies of our birth certificates to prove to others that we're "allowed" to use the Ladies' room?!

Garbage.
                Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                ---------------
                Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                ---------------

Comment

"Some conservative posters on another forum I'm on seem to think making all restrooms open to all sexes will lead to "incidents" in which a man follows a woman in and attacks her. I guess they think he wouldn't even need to cross-dress, he'll just claim to be a transgender person who "identifies" with the other gender."

In that case, as is the case now, he will have committed a crime.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by Errata View Post
                    It's not about the bathrooms. It seems ridiculous. Of course it is. But the line in the bill under the ridiculous bathroom rule makes it legal to fire someone for being LGBTQ. It is legal to discriminate against them. It is legal to refuse to serve them or rent to them. Which oh so conveniently got lost in the Bathroom debate.
                    You are absolutely right, Errata. This bill and others like it is just a cover for discrimination. Yet, if you look at religious conservative websites that little fact is conveniently omitted.

c.d.

Comment

Someone should do a statistical analysis of just how many transgendered people there are in America and the likelihood of one of them entering the bathroom you have chosen just as you are ready to do your business.

Lord this seems like much ado about about nothing. Only in America does it seem that there is no safe haven from the culture wars.

c.d.

Comment

Well, I can't say I'm worried by it. I hardly ever use public toilets anyway.

But surely the solution is to make truly public toilets (i.e. state-owned) comply with whatever the owners (i.e.the citizens) think is right, while letting private toilets comply with whatever their owners think is right.

Comment

Hello Robert,

But states have anti-discrimination laws which would forbid such a thing. Businesses doing business in a particular state agree to abide by state law when they get their licenses.

c.d.

Comment

Now is they simple made every toilet seperate I a stall with hand basis, problem solved surely.
                            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                              Now is they simple made every toilet seperate I a stall with hand basis, problem solved surely.
                              You mean in loo of what they have now?

c.d.

Comment

Well they're rather intrusive laws.

Anyway, as a result of this thread I have now learned that 'LGBT' has been expanded to 'LGBTQ' so I can only assume that the sexual minorities are going for a seven letter scrabble score.

Comment

Working...
                                X