The attack on Swedish housewife Mrs Meike Dalal on Thursday, September 7th 1961

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NickB View Post
    The Sunday Times 1971 article suggested that Ewer discovered after the event that the crime had been arranged by France and committed in the interests of the family. Ewer then went to the press to pre-empt someone else going to them with a story of family involvement.

The Sunday Times accepted that Ewer was not consciously or knowingly involved in the crime nor was any other member of the family. Perhaps as they were being sued for libel by Ewer their lawyers made them say this and you were supposed to read between the lines and deduce that Ewer was the prime mover.
    seems the most logical explanation .

Comment

• Originally posted by cobalt View Post
      Forget the Steer painting Ewer was hanging up at the time; he was giving a bigger steer to the police investigating the A6 case. His actions have no rational explanation, which he himself must have realised at the time when ascribing the ‘vision’ to Mrs Gregsten. Not that it made any more sense coming from her, but presumably Mrs Gregsten was immune from media attention given her circumstances at that time.

It may well be that the purpose of the ‘steer’ was simply to deflect police attention away from the real culprit, and that Hanratty was a useful tool to that end. Having failed to act on the initial steer, the police had to have their minds concentrated by the discovery of cartridge cases in the Vienna Hotel...
      At last somebody seems to be using their noodle and getting closer to a realistic motive; with Gregsten's employment as the key.

Comment

• Wait, were both of the Gregstens having affairs?!
        Definitely puts another spin on the case.
        Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
        ---------------
        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
        ---------------

Comment

• At last somebody seems to be using their noodle and getting closer to a realistic motive; with Gregsten's employment as the key.

To paraphrase Paul Foot, this is a case dripping with asphalt. The A6 case is indelibly linked with the ‘motoring for the millions’ era, a time of tartan rugs, flasks, car coats and car gloves. The concepts of the motorway, the lay-by and the flyover were just being put into concrete. The crime centred on abduction in a car and the actual murder and sexual assault took place inside the car- both highly unusual events even today. A car abduction as long as five hours is surely very rare, especially when there is no obvious point of destination. The victims were known rally car enthusiasts who also worked for the Department of Transport, were discovered by a student engaged in a road traffic census, whilst the eventual culprit was an experienced car thief. The car was not only the method of abduction but also served as the culprit’s means of escape.

Which, if Derrick is correct, takes us to Ernie Marples the Transport Minister of the time. Marples was a crook -or what the Conservatives call a ‘lovable rogue’- who fled the country in the 1970s before the taxman closed in. He had earlier escaped official involvement in the Profumo Affair although his predilection for prostitutes was well known. His development of the UK motorway network at the expense of the rail system was a boon to the car industry, and is unlikely to have gone unrewarded. Closer to home he was involved in a construction company which benefited directly from the expansion of the road network, one that had a knack of winning juicy contracts.

Now most of this has been covered on the site before, so I was really only offering up a synopsis. It has been pointed out that Gregsten’s middle management role at the Road Research Department was unlikely (but not I would contend impossible) to have given him access to any sensitive data. If a substantive link could be made between Marples and Gregsten then that might open up the ‘inexplicables’ in this case. But no one so far has been able to come up with anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by cobalt View Post
            At last somebody seems to be using their noodle and getting closer to a realistic motive; with Gregsten's employment as the key.

To paraphrase Paul Foot, this is a case dripping with asphalt. The A6 case is indelibly linked with the ‘motoring for the millions’ era, a time of tartan rugs, flasks, car coats and car gloves. The concepts of the motorway, the lay-by and the flyover were just being put into concrete. The crime centred on abduction in a car and the actual murder and sexual assault took place inside the car- both highly unusual events even today. A car abduction as long as five hours is surely very rare, especially when there is no obvious point of destination. The victims were known rally car enthusiasts who also worked for the Department of Transport, were discovered by a student engaged in a road traffic census, whilst the eventual culprit was an experienced car thief. The car was not only the method of abduction but also served as the culprit’s means of escape.

Which, if Derrick is correct, takes us to Ernie Marples the Transport Minister of the time. Marples was a crook -or what the Conservatives call a ‘lovable rogue’- who fled the country in the 1970s before the taxman closed in. He had earlier escaped official involvement in the Profumo Affair although his predilection for prostitutes was well known. His development of the UK motorway network at the expense of the rail system was a boon to the car industry, and is unlikely to have gone unrewarded. Closer to home he was involved in a construction company which benefited directly from the expansion of the road network, one that had a knack of winning juicy contracts.

Now most of this has been covered on the site before, so I was really only offering up a synopsis. It has been pointed out that Gregsten’s middle management role at the Road Research Department was unlikely (but not I would contend impossible) to have given him access to any sensitive data. If a substantive link could be made between Marples and Gregsten then that might open up the ‘inexplicables’ in this case. But no one so far has been able to come up with anything.
            I used to have access to the Gale/Times archives ,and when doing some research to bolster my suspicions that there may indeed have been a link between the A6 murder and the Profumo scandal. I found, when reading Ernest Marples answers in question time, that he on a number of occasions (as minister for transport) made reference to the information provided by the road research laboratories. I myself could not rule out the possibility that the likes of Marples might think it jolly interesting, and a nice drive out into the country to boot, for a friendly visit to meet some of the smart young bits of fluff (and chaps of course) out in Sloughs RRL.
            Tied in with these thoughts ,we have, Val and Mike who to paraphrase Val, 'loved their walks along the river in the nice weather,' a walk that tantalisingly may easily take them to the bend in the river where Cliveden estates sits in all its glory.
            I still find it too incredible to take in, that these two (arguably most repugnant) events of the 20th century began their sagas in and around Taplow.

Comment

• I sent an email to Richard Ingrams about a year ago , explaining my theory. I asked whether the notion of a possible link between Michael Gregstens death and the profumo affair was ever entertained by people who moved in his circles. He didn't reply. Oh well, worth a shot.

Comment

• Cobalt said .. ..

It has been pointed out that Gregsten’s middle management role at the Road Research Department was unlikely (but not I would contend impossible) to have given him access to any sensitive data. If a substantive link could be made between Marples and Gregsten then that might open up the ‘inexplicables’ in this case. But no one so far has been able to come up with anything.

Cobalt some interesting points about the role of transport in the case.

Don't want to spoil the fun speculation of a link between Gregsten's work and Ernest Marples. But Gregsten wasn't even middle management level and if there were any sensitive things he knew ,then others more senior knew as well - so no point in bumping him off alone.

In any case you don't abduct a couple for 5/6 hours before killing Gregsten when you could have done it at Dorney Reach and got away with just as much mystery.
                The search for a motive is I believe critical to the understanding of this case but lets not go down blind alleys.

Ed
                do

Comment

• Ed,

good post and good points.

A bit of speculation as far as this case is concerned is fine, but let's not get too carried away. Gregsten was actually not much more than a senior lab technician at the RRL, and Valerie I believe may have reported to him as his assistant. (She did however write papers in her own right, and there is, or was, one by her on the website of Bedfordshire Police - unfortunately I'm unable to find a link. It was nothing that a reasonably well-qualified technician couldn't produce. I have never been able to locate a paper by Gregsten, but I am sure they existed).

I will say, however, that The Profumo Scandal went far and wide through all levels of society, but I would be highly surprised if any link between it and the A6 could ever be found. Let's not forget that Paul Foot and Bob Woffinden were two of the most talented, hard-working and respected investigative journalists in the country. Paul Foot in particular, and 'Private Eye' in general, were red-hot on rooting out corruption in high places, and I am sure that if any link had been discovered between the A6 and the Profumo Scandal, not to mention Marples, we'd have heard about it long ago.

With regard to trying to e-mail Richard Ingrams and receiving no reply, I'm a little bit surprised about this. In the 'old days' (pre-computers) Paul Foot was quite easy to contact, as a friend of mine once did (not concerning the A6).
                  I'm re-reading 'Who Killed Hanratty' right now, and very interesting it is to refresh my memory, especially on some of the smaller and more obscure aspects of the A6, at which he was very good.

Graham
                  We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham View Post
                    Valerie I believe may have reported to him as his assistant.
                    They did not work together. They met on the Canteen Committee when Valerie joined it.

Comment

• Mhh. Maybe I'll give Ian Hislop a try.

Comment

• Hi Nick,

I read on another crime website that Valerie was actually Gregsten's assistant, but maybe not.

Hi Moste,

I still take 'Private Eye', but it's not the fire-breathing, devil-may-care, laugh-at-libel, publish and be damned organ that it once was. If I remember correctly, Paul Foot first became interested in the Hanratty Case in the late 1960's, and published fairly regular updates in PE. He still had to be careful what he said, even then. I haven't seen anything in PE concerning the A6 for a long time. Best of luck with Ian Hislop.

Graham
                        We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed James View Post
                          Cobalt said .. ..

It has been pointed out that Gregsten’s middle management role at the Road Research Department was unlikely (but not I would contend impossible) to have given him access to any sensitive data. If a substantive link could be made between Marples and Gregsten then that might open up the ‘inexplicables’ in this case. But no one so far has been able to come up with anything.

Cobalt some interesting points about the role of transport in the case.

Don't want to spoil the fun speculation of a link between Gregsten's work and Ernest Marples. But Gregsten wasn't even middle management level and if there were any sensitive things he knew ,then others more senior knew as well - so no point in bumping him off alone.

In any case you don't abduct a couple for 5/6 hours before killing Gregsten when you could have done it at Dorney Reach and got away with just as much mystery.
                          The search for a motive is I believe critical to the understanding of this case but lets not go down blind alleys.

Ed
                          do
                          Hi Ed,I think from reading your post you may be missing my speculative point. So lets have some fun,To wit, Was Mike G on to something, whereby, because he had become privy to information that he deemed could be very damaging to the likes of Ernie M,? Perhaps he decided to improve his financial situation, with an acquisition of funds (If he kept his mouth shut)which would be released into his account forthwith. A one off payment of, lets say, five thousand pounds never to be mentioned again. It wouldn't matter if Mike G was a middle management person, or the tea boy, or something in-between , no one else need be a party to any of it including Val. Mike could well have been intending to drop her off at home after the pub stop, but after some heated discussion on the matter in Huntercombe lane, he decided to tell her about his 'ship coming in', and he agreed to take her with him. As for the long trip up north ,that, could have been a case of 'Mohamed going to the mountain "rather than 'the mountain coming to Mohamed. 'Mike would have driven to John O'Groats for a chance to set up for life with Val. Alphon being picked up in Slough would have been pre arranged for him to ride shotgun to see the thing through, and to explain the route to take.(His real purpose for his involvement, to get rid of the car after the event) He knew Mike was going to pay the ultimate price for attempting to blackmail a cabinet minister,(note: on more than one occasion he talked of "murder for the security of the country being permissible" ) but didn't figure on the girl coming along for the ride. The same applied to the arranged assassin, although it was much less of a problem for him, he simply walked over to the car when it arrived, Bang! Bang! and disappeared into the night.(Deadmans Hill was possibly the planned location for a cash pickup in MGs case, and a contract killing in Ernies case) Alphon now had to get rid of the car as preplanned, but what to do with the girl? Well, I mean ,Alphon being Alphon.... Of course this rubbishes everything VS has to say about the cornfield and the layby, but the in-between stuff sounds about right.
                          I have actually spent some time trying to discover the workings and operations of nearby Bedfordshire Chicksands RAF base. and it turns out they were a top secret location in the war for intercepting coded messages which were sent on to Bletchley, for deciphering. The US Army had moved in, in the late 50s, and utilised most of the base, with the RAF as hosts. By 1961 they may well have had a centre there for OSS operations, a cousin of the British Armies SAS. Across the fields Chicksands base is a 20 minute march to Deadmans Hill layby, 35 mins on foot by road... Just a thought. To concur with Graham. Paul Foot and Bob Woffinden brilliant as they were/are. concerned them selves purely with the concept that Hanratty was innocent, which I have always believed. They, however would probably not, for obvious reasons entertain putting in writing an alternative series of events, covering the A6 murder, for fear of ridicule, or even worse, law suits. P.S. Finally, I don't believe the pathologist got it wrong about the bullets he removed from Valeries body,I believe they were .32. from Alphons gun. Unbelievable amount of glossing over in this case.

Comment

• Re my above speculations. I can't decide Who at the very top would have been in the know. Certainly Acott .Note his arrival at the Bedford hospital 'mid afternoon',not first thing in the morning. On site staff and Bedfordshire police woman at Valeries bedside, believed this to be quite odd, considering the victim was to all accounts 'at deaths door' Acott was not concerned that his only possible witness may expire at any moment, since he took it upon himself ,to stroll around the scene of the crime first, before (we assume) heading for lunch. This is one of I think, a great many anomalies that would be removed if while wandering down blind alleys I stumbled into the truth or something close....I know.. I know.. prove it ,right.

Comment

• [QUOTE=moste;347223]Hi Ed,I think from reading your post you may be missing my speculative point. So lets have some fun,To wit, Was Mike G on to something, whereby, because he had become privy to information that he deemed could be very damaging to the likes of Ernie M,? Perhaps he decided to improve his financial situation, with an acquisition of funds (If he kept his mouth shut)which would be released into his account forthwith.

Hi Moste

I get less opportunity to see posts now ,but when I do I am bowled over by the insights and knowledge of those posting, yourself included. But I can't go along with any connection with poor Gregsten and Ernie M (much as I would like there to be dirt dished on Ernie (not the premium bond one in Lytham St Annes!). Drawing on my personal experience, Whitehall based Ministers just don't rub shoulders with outstationed folk like Michael G . Plus if it was an assassin would a poor job - leaving Valerie for dead.

In any case, as this thread is supposed to be Alphon oriented , perhaps he was in on the blackmail (no I'm not serious but it would explain the series bank payments) - but why wasn't Alphon eliminated?

It seems to me that seldom do people ask questions about the case , possibly a reluctance to display a lack of knowledge. I'll start the ball rolling on a pivotal issue. Why was the murder gun and ammo dumped in plain sight on the 36A bus in that part of London? Surely the perpetrator (and any accomplice) would not want to dump it in their haunts. I can anticipate people saying because Hanratty (or for that matter France) were not bright and panicked. Or was it a panicking Alphon who was seen at Victoria on the day of the dumping? But what if Limehouse is right and someone wanted to distract police attention away from Wanstead?

Ed

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed James View Post
                                ...Drawing on my personal experience, Whitehall based Ministers just don't rub shoulders with outstationed folk like Michael G...
                                Really Ed.

Would you like to say when Whitehall types would rub shoulders with the likes of people other than Gregsten and why?

Del

Comment

Working...
                                X