Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Alphon family tree

I've made a start on Peter Louis Alphon's family tree:
    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

I struggled a bit with his parents.

Peter Alphon's mother, Gladys, was born Gladys Dorothy Jordan in West Ham on the 8th August 1897. On the 14th September 1920 she married someone called Walter Butter Ives.

In the 1939 register Gladys is calling herself Gladys Alphon and is living with Felix Alphon (born 1892). There is one redacted entry, which is presumably Peter Alphon (born 30th August 1930).

I haven't been able to find a marriage for Gladys and Felix Alphon yet, and I rather suspect they didn't marry because Gladys' death in 1977 was registered under the name of Gladys Dorothy Ives. I am certain this is the correct woman because the death record includes the date of birth of the deceased, and this matches the one in the 1939 register.

I think Felix Alphon was the father of Peter as the latter's birth was registered under the name of Peter Louis Alphon (mother's maiden name Jordan).

Felix Alphon was a French teacher in 1939. He died in 1970.

It's hard to be sure, but I think Peter Alphon's father, Felix, was born illegitimately to Laure Alphon on 4th April 1892 in the Camden Town / Hampstead area (not France!).

By 1901 Laure was living with Louis Jacquet as his wife, though I can't yet find any marriage record for them. In many of the records that exist after this she is called Laure Jacquet or Laure Alphon Jacquet.

Both Laure and her husband seem to have run an employment agency, which I think means they matched servants with households who needed servants and took a small percentage (5%?) of the wages as their commission.

Felix was the only child of the marriage. When Laure died in 1946 she left him £712 4d 4d.
    Laure Jacquet - probate
    Various calculators online suggest that £700 in 1946 would be worth around £28,000 today, but the average price of a house in 1946 was about £2000, so I think £700 would have been a fair whack of money, but perhaps not enough to provide an annuity to a wayward grandson for the rest of his life.

Note that Felix Alphon is described as a civil servant in this probate from 1946, whereas he was a French teacher in the 1939 register. This might suggest that he was working as a clerk at Scotland Yard as early as 1946.
    Last edited by gallicrow; 10-16-2021, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X