Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A6 Rebooted

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by djw View Post
    Was it the 1m22 video at at https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GgBbV_SckxA
    No, this exhaustive 1min 22 second video is definitely not the video I watched DJW. The one I watched at the time was much longer and I think it was an accompaniment to his book "The Long Silence". It doesn't appear to be available on youtube anymore which is no surprise to me.
    *************************************
    "A body of men, HOLDING THEMSELVES ACCOUNTABLE TO NOBODY, ought not to be trusted by anybody." --Thomas Paine ["Rights of Man"]

    "Justice is an ideal which transcends the expedience of the State, or the sensitivities of Government officials, or private individuals. IT HAS TO BE PURSUED WHATEVER THE COST IN PEACE OF MIND TO THOSE CONCERNED." --'Justice of the Peace' [July 12th 1975]

    Comment


    • Michael and Maureen Hanratty's son, Darren, was recently interviewed by Metro. He has some very interesting and thought provoking things to say.
      Here is the link to that article.....

      *************************************
      "A body of men, HOLDING THEMSELVES ACCOUNTABLE TO NOBODY, ought not to be trusted by anybody." --Thomas Paine ["Rights of Man"]

      "Justice is an ideal which transcends the expedience of the State, or the sensitivities of Government officials, or private individuals. IT HAS TO BE PURSUED WHATEVER THE COST IN PEACE OF MIND TO THOSE CONCERNED." --'Justice of the Peace' [July 12th 1975]

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Sherlock Houses View Post
        Michael and Maureen Hanratty's son, Darren, was recently interviewed by Metro. He has some very interesting and thought provoking things to say.
        Here is the link to that article.....

        https://metro.co.uk/2024/06/02/uncle...cent-20923858/
        Fascinating article, thank you for the link!
        Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
        ---------------
        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
        ---------------

        Comment


        • I’ve been considering another dip into the Hanratty case lately but I’m undecided on what I might go for. I’ve read Foot and Woffinden and found them both fascinating but for someone that knows next-to-nothing about the case like me it’s easy get persuaded. I came away thinking “surely there’s more than enough here to doubt his guilt,” but of course that’s the opinion of someone that knows zilch who’s just read two books by committed ‘pro-innocence’ authors (and I’m not denigrating those two authors)

          So I was wondering if I could get a few opinions on the 4 books that I’ve seen available (apart from an essay by someone called Lamb which I’m dismissing as an option) Everyone on here knows there stuff but I know that there’s a mixture of guilty and not guilty supporters which will give me a balance. Thanks in advance to anyone that replies.


          1. Hanratty’s Guilt: The A6 Murder and its Aftermath by Leonard Miller


          2. Executed: But Was Hanratty Innocent by Robert Harriman


          3. The Long Silence: The Story of James Hanratty….by Paul Stickler


          4. Hanratty - The Inconvenient Truth by Alan Razen



          Regards

          Sir Herlock Sholmes.

          “A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
            I’ve been considering another dip into the Hanratty case lately but I’m undecided on what I might go for. I’ve read Foot and Woffinden and found them both fascinating but for someone that knows next-to-nothing about the case like me it’s easy get persuaded. I came away thinking “surely there’s more than enough here to doubt his guilt,” but of course that’s the opinion of someone that knows zilch who’s just read two books by committed ‘pro-innocence’ authors (and I’m not denigrating those two authors)

            So I was wondering if I could get a few opinions on the 4 books that I’ve seen available (apart from an essay by someone called Lamb which I’m dismissing as an option) Everyone on here knows there stuff but I know that there’s a mixture of guilty and not guilty supporters which will give me a balance. Thanks in advance to anyone that replies.


            1. Hanratty’s Guilt: The A6 Murder and its Aftermath by Leonard Miller


            2. Executed: But Was Hanratty Innocent by Robert Harriman


            3. The Long Silence: The Story of James Hanratty….by Paul Stickler


            4. Hanratty - The Inconvenient Truth by Alan Razen



            I read Harrimans book ,or tried to, He comes across if I remember as something of an expert on DNA, and consequently a lot of his explaining on the problems of the use of that particular exhibit went over my head.
            on other aspects of the case he has some interesting comments , obviously a person in favour of Hanratty’s innocence, you would have a balance of 3 and 3 if you read these four in terms of for and against guilt.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by moste View Post
              I read Harrimans book ,or tried to, He comes across if I remember as something of an expert on DNA, and consequently a lot of his explaining on the problems of the use of that particular exhibit went over my head.
              on other aspects of the case he has some interesting comments , obviously a person in favour of Hanrattys innocence, you would have a balance of 3 and 3 if you read these four in terms of for and against guilt.
              That’s a good point but that would mean buying all 4. The Harriman book is considered heavy going on the DNA stuff so I’m concerned at buying a book with 50% of the content only of real interest to people with a science background or who have a real interest in science. Which of the ‘Hanratty is guilty’ books would you recommend as 1st choice? At the moment I’m favouring getting the Stickler book 1st.

              And just out of interest Moste are you ‘innocent’ or ‘guilty’?
              Regards

              Sir Herlock Sholmes.

              “A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

                That’s a good point but that would mean buying all 4. The Harriman book is considered heavy going on the DNA stuff so I’m concerned at buying a book with 50% of the content only of real interest to people with a science background or who have a real interest in science. Which of the ‘Hanratty is guilty’ books would you recommend as 1st choice? At the moment I’m favouring getting the Stickler book 1st.

                And just out of interest Moste are you ‘innocent’ or ‘guilty’?
                I thought I had seen you on this board more than I actually had . Maybe the Wallace site confused the memory.

                Anyhow , I too read the two books you alluded to, Foot and Woffinden, and was convinced of his innocence , I read Leonard Miller but found him to be unfairly biased , and have never understood the aggressive stance and unwillingness to consider various options of people who follow the ‘It is what it is’ attitude .So much of the entire saga is completely dependent on Valerie Storie’s word which has been unreasonably etched in granite in my opinion, leaving little or no room for doubt for most people.
                I would urge you to read her story ,supposedly in her own words, on this site I think uploaded by Sherlock Houses, from a Today magazine ‘supplement . Dispute her surviving a horrendous experience , The woman has always left me with a feeling of ‘all is not being told’.
                Last edited by moste; 06-23-2024, 07:23 PM.

                Comment


                • P.S. I read Harrimans book on ‘ kindle’ cheap.

                  Comment


                  • I think I posted a very few times on the A6 thread but I didn’t want to be irritating by asking questions that were obvious to everyone else on here.

                    I took the leap and bought the Sticker book on Kindle which I’ll start reading tonight.

                    I know less about tech that I do about the A6 case so I have to ask what those symbols are that appear with your posts. I don’t see them with anyone else’s posts. I’m assuming that they don’t just appear on my iPad? I’ll cut and paste an example…

                    €˜ kindle€™​ ?
                    Regards

                    Sir Herlock Sholmes.

                    “A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

                    Comment


                    • I know it’s a phantom phenomena. It only happens from my IPad on this site, nowhere else. I’ve even asked the administrators about it to no avail. Sorry,bloody nuisance.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by moste View Post
                        I know its a phantom phenomena. It only happens from my IPad on this site, nowhere else. Ive even asked the administrators about it to no avail. Sorry,bloody nuisance.
                        No problem Moste. The complete weirdness of technology.
                        Regards

                        Sir Herlock Sholmes.

                        “A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                          I took the leap and bought the Sticker book on Kindle which I’ll start reading tonight.
                          I'll be interested to hear what you think about it. For me, it failed in its claim of being the book Valerie would have written. I just didn't get that feeling, and he seemed to be more concerned about defending the police. I recommend the Channel 4 documentary I linked to on the previous page, and the appeal judgement is good for basic points.

                          There is also a lot of info on this site. It would be good if it was summarised in a sticky thread, but I suppose each 'side' would complain that it had been wrongly represented!

                          Comment


                          • [QUOTE=NickB;n834385]Valerie Storie was interviewed in 2002 for a documentary shown on Channel 4. At 1.07 you can see the policewoman who first talked to Valerie say "She never changed her description ..."

                            Interesting. At approx. 34 mins Valerie believes, ‘Her romance with Mike would have been over if another 6 months had gone by . Because he wouldn’t have left his boys . Then she maintains ‘the ironic thing is ,had the killing and rape not happened when it did ,they probably would have broke up in a few months , IT would never have happened. Admitting that the whole purpose of the exercise by the killer was to force the two apart. I have never picked up on this before, I was under the false impression that she had not a clue why the man was in the car , all very confusing.
                            Also ,what is the general feeling of Valerie’s statement that she had been to Mikes home, met with Janet inferring her acceptance of the situation. In another situation they may have been friends. All seems so bizarre.

                            Comment


                            • Hi Moste,

                              I think you may be placing too much weight on Valerie Storie's use of the word 'ironically.' The way you interpret it is perfectly sound but in everyday conversation the word is often used a little more loosely.

                              I think she simply means to say that had the killer appeared in the cornfield a few months later than he did, then neither she nor Michael Gregsten would have been there to fall victim to him.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by NickB View Post

                                I'll be interested to hear what you think about it. For me, it failed in its claim of being the book Valerie would have written. I just didn't get that feeling, and he seemed to be more concerned about defending the police. I recommend the Channel 4 documentary I linked to on the previous page, and the appeal judgement is good for basic points.

                                There is also a lot of info on this site. It would be good if it was summarised in a sticky thread, but I suppose each 'side' would complain that it had been wrongly represented!
                                Hi Nick,

                                I’m not far into the book and my apologies to all for repeating what everyone on here knows inside out btw.

                                In the first Police broadcast (by Telex) at 10.50 am it was ‘alleged that suspect gave his name as Brown.’ No hair colour was mentioned. But Kerr, in his statement, had said that Valerie had said that the man had brown hair and he made no mention of a name. So how did Brown (hair colour) become a name?

                                The author suggests that the confusion occurred because a passing motorist spoke to Valerie and she said, when asked who’d done it, “Brown. He’s taken my car.”

                                As Kerr was the first person that spoke to her and that she had told him that the killers hair was Brown, I find it difficult not to see this as incompetence rather than some kind of ‘understandable error.’ The Telex was for police only and was to help them catch the killer so hair colour was important. And surely they would have known that this was a stranger, initially thought to have been a hitchhiker, so why would he have given his surname to his two victims? Or any surname for that matter?

                                It’s difficult to weigh this one up. It’s not a huge issue of course but if it’s an example of incompetence then it’s hard not to wonder what else might have been down to incompetence.

                                Then in the 5.40 broadcast the description has the killer with brown eyes and brown hair but no name. The author wonders how ‘Brown’ went from being a hair colour to a name to an eye colouring. I’m guessing that the eye colouring came into it after Valerie had had time to think? Then there was a special notice issued by the Met’s CRO: “MAN – BROWN. Born about 1936, smooth face and big eyes.”

                                There appears to have been some ‘confusion’ on behalf of the police in the early stages and it’s difficult for me to see how it came about?
                                Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 06-25-2024, 08:56 PM.
                                Regards

                                Sir Herlock Sholmes.

                                “A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X