Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A6 Rebooted

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • That's extremely interesting, Sherlock. Thank you for that.

    I am pretty sure the gun my Dad had was a 38, in which case I can testify to how heavy the trigger mechanism is likely to have been.

    It is pleasing to note the clear evidence that the gun found on the bus was indeed the same as that used in the murder.

    We recently saw on this site pictures of the deceased showing the bullet holes in his head. I'm surprised a 38 didn't make a bigger mess, but my knowledge of these things is miniscule.

    Regards

    Yossel

    Comment


    • Thanks S H, Simple when you know how, Lol.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by moste View Post
        Thanks S H, Simple when you know how, Lol.
        '
        I use the 'Paint' program that's already installed on one's computer, Moste. If a newspaper article or newspaper page is quite large just take a screenshot [by pressing your keyboard's 'Fn' and 'insert' keys together] of the top part of the page, then open the excellent 'Paint' program and click on the 'Paste' icon situated in the upper left corner of the 'Paint' page. This copies the screenshot onto the 'Paint' page. Then go back to the newspaper article or page and scroll down that page until you reach the bottom of the screenshot that has been pasted onto the 'Paint' page. Take another screenshot of that scrolled down page and paste it onto the 'Paint' page and move it so that the top of the 2nd screenshot aligns with the bottom of the 1st screenshot. Then save the completed 'Paint' file onto a folder in your computer. It sounds more complicated than it actually is but with a bit of experimental trial and error it becomes much easier. It took me quite some time to get the hang of it but the more you do it the easier it becomes.
        *************************************
        "A body of men, HOLDING THEMSELVES ACCOUNTABLE TO NOBODY, ought not to be trusted by anybody." --Thomas Paine ["Rights of Man"]

        "Justice is an ideal which transcends the expedience of the State, or the sensitivities of Government officials, or private individuals. IT HAS TO BE PURSUED WHATEVER THE COST IN PEACE OF MIND TO THOSE CONCERNED." --'Justice of the Peace' [July 12th 1975]

        Comment


        • Much more powerful than Paint, the GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) allows you to crop, resize and perform a multitude of useful operations on images. It even allows you to specify the file size if you export the image as a JPEG, which is handy if you want to avoid posting overly "heavy" files:

          Click image for larger version

Name:	GIMP export as JPEG.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	708366

          Best of all, the GIMP is absolutely free, and works on all major operating system platforms. You can download it from www.gimp.org

          I've been using the GIMP for over 20 years, and I can't sing its praises enough.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

          "Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

          Comment


          • Thank you very much for the tip, Sam. I've never used GIMP but will certainly give it a try.
            *************************************
            "A body of men, HOLDING THEMSELVES ACCOUNTABLE TO NOBODY, ought not to be trusted by anybody." --Thomas Paine ["Rights of Man"]

            "Justice is an ideal which transcends the expedience of the State, or the sensitivities of Government officials, or private individuals. IT HAS TO BE PURSUED WHATEVER THE COST IN PEACE OF MIND TO THOSE CONCERNED." --'Justice of the Peace' [July 12th 1975]

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Sherlock Houses View Post
              '
              I use the 'Paint' program that's already installed on one's computer, Moste. If a newspaper article or newspaper page is quite large just take a screenshot [by pressing your keyboard's 'Fn' and 'insert' keys together] of the top part of the page, then open the excellent 'Paint' program and click on the 'Paste' icon situated in the upper left corner of the 'Paint' page. This copies the screenshot onto the 'Paint' page. Then go back to the newspaper article or page and scroll down that page until you reach the bottom of the screenshot that has been pasted onto the 'Paint' page. Take another screenshot of that scrolled down page and paste it onto the 'Paint' page and move it so that the top of the 2nd screenshot aligns with the bottom of the 1st screenshot. Then save the completed 'Paint' file onto a folder in your computer. It sounds more complicated than it actually is but with a bit of experimental trial and error it becomes much easier. It took me quite some time to get the hang of it but the more you do it the easier it becomes.
              Thanks S H. You did explain this once before and I did have some success, thanks Sam,this will keep me experimenting for a while.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Sherlock Houses View Post
                Thank you very much for the tip, Sam. I've never used GIMP but will certainly give it a try.
                It will change your life, Sherlock. It did mine... that's how much of a saddo I am
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

                "Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

                Comment


                • I have some 'Paint' files that are huge which consist of scores if not hundreds of newspaper articles, Sam, so maybe I can do something with them using the GIMP program. Thanks once again for the tip. It might make life a little easier for John and also Mrs Hudson.
                  Last edited by Sherlock Houses; 05-04-2019, 10:02 AM.
                  *************************************
                  "A body of men, HOLDING THEMSELVES ACCOUNTABLE TO NOBODY, ought not to be trusted by anybody." --Thomas Paine ["Rights of Man"]

                  "Justice is an ideal which transcends the expedience of the State, or the sensitivities of Government officials, or private individuals. IT HAS TO BE PURSUED WHATEVER THE COST IN PEACE OF MIND TO THOSE CONCERNED." --'Justice of the Peace' [July 12th 1975]

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Sherlock Houses View Post
                    I have some 'Paint' files that are huge which consist of scores if not hundreds of newspaper articles, Sam, so maybe I can do something with them using the GIMP program. Thanks once again for the tip. It might make life a little easier for John and also Mrs Hudson.
                    I'm sure Mrs Hudson will be eternally grateful, Sherlock

                    BTW, if you do try the GIMP, then it's worth remembering that you'll want to use "Export As..." to save images. For some reason, GIMP's developers decided that the "Save" function shold be reserved exclusively for creating images in GIMP's own internal file format, XCF. This break with convention is about my only gripe with the software.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

                    "Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                      I'm sure Mrs Hudson will be eternally grateful, Sherlock

                      BTW, if you do try the GIMP, then it's worth remembering that you'll want to use "Export As..." to save images. For some reason, GIMP's developers decided that the "Save" function shold be reserved exclusively for creating images in GIMP's own internal file format, XCF. This break with convention is about my only gripe with the software.
                      Hi Sam
                      All image processing software have a proprietary file format to preserve layers etc for future editing. It's only when one is happy to save a particular image "flat" then one exports it in any number of differing formats; bmp, png, jpeg etc.
                      Adobe Photoshop's file format is .psd (photoshop document).
                      Del Boy

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Derrick View Post

                        All image processing software have a proprietary file format to preserve layers etc for future editing
                        Indeed, but I'd prefer to use the more standard "Save As..." option when I want an alternative format, not "Export". As I'm a fan of keyboard shortcuts, GIMP still sometimes trips me up when I reflexively press CTRL-Shift-S (which is usually "Save As..." in other programs), when what GIMP wants is CTRL-E or CTRL-Shift-E (which both do the same thing anyway!).
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

                        "Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

                        Comment


                        • Hanratty told his defence team that he returned, by bus, to Liverpool from Rhyl on the Thursday morning of August 24th. After arriving back at Liverpool he said he deposited his luggage at the station, went for a meal and then went to the pictures. Originally he wanted to go and see 'Ben Hur' but decided against it as he thought the 15 shillings seats were a bit dear, he then considered 'Wild in the Country' but then settled for 'The Guns of Navarone'.
                          The following attachment helps greatly to corroborate Hanratty's story. Some folk on here would have you believe that Hanratty was in London that Thursday morning/afternoon hiding a .38 revolver, handkerchief and ammunition on a 36A bus.
                          As you can see all three previously mentioned films were showing in Liverpool City Centre that August 24th 1961, 'Ben Hur' at The Futurist on Lime Street, 'Wild in the Country' at the Gaumont [off London Road] and 'The Guns of Navarone' at the Odeon on London Road. all three cinemas were in close proximity to each other. It is my strong belief that Hanratty watched the 2.30pm. showing of 'The Guns of Navarone' which would have finished around 5.15pm giving him ample time to do all the other things he claimed he did in Liverpool that Thursday evening [sending the telegram to the Frances, trying to gain admission to the Winstone/Jackson fight at Liverpool Stadium and taking the Mersey ferry over to New Brighton funfair] before returning to London on the overnight train.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	L'Pool Echo 24-08-1961.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.0 KB ID:	709759
                          Last edited by Sherlock Houses; 05-15-2019, 09:19 AM.
                          *************************************
                          "A body of men, HOLDING THEMSELVES ACCOUNTABLE TO NOBODY, ought not to be trusted by anybody." --Thomas Paine ["Rights of Man"]

                          "Justice is an ideal which transcends the expedience of the State, or the sensitivities of Government officials, or private individuals. IT HAS TO BE PURSUED WHATEVER THE COST IN PEACE OF MIND TO THOSE CONCERNED." --'Justice of the Peace' [July 12th 1975]

                          Comment


                          • Click image for larger version

Name:	L'Pool Echo 24-08-1961.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	709758
                            *************************************
                            "A body of men, HOLDING THEMSELVES ACCOUNTABLE TO NOBODY, ought not to be trusted by anybody." --Thomas Paine ["Rights of Man"]

                            "Justice is an ideal which transcends the expedience of the State, or the sensitivities of Government officials, or private individuals. IT HAS TO BE PURSUED WHATEVER THE COST IN PEACE OF MIND TO THOSE CONCERNED." --'Justice of the Peace' [July 12th 1975]

                            Comment


                            • According to the Glasgow Herald, during his summing up, the Judge "reminded the jury that the burden of proof rested with the prosecution, and said that if there was a conflict of evidence, 'then members of the jury, because of the burden proof is the concern of the Crown, you will decide in favour of that version which is in favour of the defence and not the Crown.'"

                              Was this in fact how British trials were conducted then? If it was, then surely it was an open invitation to any defendant to deny the validity of any evidence that conflicted with his alibi?

                              Trower: "I saw the defendant drive into Avondale Crescent."

                              Hanratty: "But I wasn't there my Lord, I was in Liverpool at the time."

                              Judge: "If the defendant says he was in Liverpool, then the witness must be mistaken."

                              And doesn't the fact the jury convicted Hanratty suggest that they went against the Judge's instruction and decided that where there was conflicting evidence, Hanratty was lying?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Sherlock Houses View Post
                                Hanratty told his defence team that he returned, by bus, to Liverpool from Rhyl on the Thursday morning of August 24th. After arriving back at Liverpool he said he deposited his luggage at the station, went for a meal and then went to the pictures. Originally he wanted to go and see 'Ben Hur' but decided against it as he thought the 15 shillings seats were a bit dear, he then considered 'Wild in the Country' but then settled for 'The Guns of Navarone'.
                                The following attachment helps greatly to corroborate Hanratty's story. Some folk on here would have you believe that Hanratty was in London that Thursday morning/afternoon hiding a .38 revolver, handkerchief and ammunition on a 36A bus.
                                As you can see all three previously mentioned films were showing in Liverpool City Centre that August 24th 1961, 'Ben Hur' at The Futurist on Lime Street, 'Wild in the Country' at the Gaumont [off London Road] and 'The Guns of Navarone' at the Odeon on London Road. all three cinemas were in close proximity to each other. It is my strong belief that Hanratty watched the 2.30pm. showing of 'The Guns of Navarone' which would have finished around 5.15pm giving him ample time to do all the other things he claimed he did in Liverpool that Thursday evening [sending the telegram to the Frances, trying to gain admission to the Winstone/Jackson fight at Liverpool Stadium and taking the Mersey ferry over to New Brighton funfair] before returning to London on the overnight train.
                                If Hanratty caught a direct Liverpool train on Thursday morning could he have reached Liverpool in time for a 2.30 session? In any case, all three films were playing on Thursday evening, when nobody disputes that he was in Liverpool. They were also screening the following day, Friday, when the indications are Hanratty was still in Liverpool. Both Dixie and Charlotte France swore he visited them on the Saturday morning, not Friday morning as Hanratty later claimed.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X