• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Semper_Eadem View Post
    ... Nothing beats vinyl for sound.
    now ain't that the truth.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• I just had a look-see, and as expected Elvis Presley was far and away the No 1 best-selling artiste in the UK in 1961. My own favourite record of that year was Roy Orbison's "Running Scared".

We've kept all of our vinyl LP's collected over the years (including a full set of Beatles), but our ancient radiogram (antique word!) gave up the ghost recently, so am looking for a new deck. Vinyl is much superior to a c.d., as Semper Eadem says. However, c.d.'s are neater, take up far less storage space, and can be played in the car.

Graham
      We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• Thanks Sherlock Holmes,
        I have Ferrante & Teicher's Greatest Hits Album.. I dig you name. I like Roger Williams too, I have a few of his albums, He sure knows his piano, but I am not for sure if he was releasing anything in 1961, although he did release a lot in the 60s. I got a few of them. He did a lot of covers and compilation pieces. Seems must of what I have from my earlier Albums are Orchestra or Compilation Albums.

I have Percy Faith's Malaguena salsa music from Cuba, seems there was fad going on over here in the States Latin Music. Songs of Ireland were also available, my Aunt had a Billy Durkin Album called Irish Favorites.

GUT,
        Yep! I wish vinyl would make a come back. CD's are nice enough but vinyl is best, Especially as a good turntable is getting so hard to find...

Graham,
        Elvis was number 1 over here too. My Aunt Marsha could of died complete after she saw him in the 70's. She started listening to him in 50's as a Teenage so bets are his voice singing out one of his tunes would of been heard had you stepped into my Grandma's House in 1961. If you came during Thanksgiving my Mom could of given you a lesson in how to do the twist, the whole family remember her doing that, those who were kids and the adults. It was their after Dinner Entertainment. Folks back then were less keen to go straight to the Television.

Both my Folks liked Jerry Lee Lewis, Great Balls Of Fire fame. Mom liked Roy Orbison...

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham View Post
          We've kept all of our vinyl LP's collected over the years (including a full set of Beatles), but our ancient radiogram (antique word!) gave up the ghost recently, so am looking for a new deck. Vinyl is much superior to a c.d., as Semper Eadem says. However, c.d.'s are neater, take up far less storage space, and can be played in the car.

Graham
          Which is probably why I have some of my favourites on Record, Reel to reel, cassette, 8 track, CD and now MP3.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Oh and mini disk, don't forget the mini disk.
            G U T

Comment

• Hi Gut,

we still have a whole lot of stuff on cassette, but the sound quality is poor, at least on the only functioning player we have. A mate of mine still has an ancient (possibly late 50's) Grundig reel-to-reel recorder which he still uses, and the quality is excellent with both commercially-produced tape-recordings and stuff he's done himself. The basic problem is that it takes two strong men to life the thing. I bought a mini-disc recorder for use in the various singers' clubs we attend, but we couldn't get on with it at all. We now use a hand-held hard-drive recorder which is pretty good.

Back to the theme of this thread, I find it highly significant that most of the singers' clubs in my area have "Sixties Nights" but never "Fifties", "Seventies" or any other "-ties" nights, which I think speaks volumes for the popular music of the 1960's in general.

Graham
              We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• Didn't you know all music was written and performed between mud-late 59s and mid 70s pretty much everything else is noise.

And the golden years were the 60s.

But think about it, Beatles, Stones, Elvis, Beach Boys, Dylan, big O, (and a stack of others) all at their prime.
                G U T

Comment

• Re. the Beatles, today being the 35th anniversary of the murder of the late, amazing John Lennon here is a great song of his from 1963, just over a year after the execution of the innocent James Hanratty. The flip side of "She loves you". I love it....

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                  Last edited by Sherlock Houses; 12-08-2015, 07:27 AM.
                  "A body of men, HOLDING THEMSELVES ACCOUNTABLE TO NOBODY, ought not to be trusted by anybody." --Thomas Paine ["Rights of Man"]

"Justice is an ideal which transcends the expedience of the State, or the sensitivities of Government officials, or private individuals. IT HAS TO BE PURSUED WHATEVER THE COST IN PEACE OF MIND TO THOSE CONCERNED." --'Justice of the Peace' [July 12th 1975]

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                    Didn't you know all music was written and performed between mud-late 59s and mid 70s pretty much everything else is noise.

And the golden years were the 60s.

But think about it, Beatles, Stones, Elvis, Beach Boys, Dylan, big O, (and a stack of others) all at their prime.
                    And Clapton, Cream, John Mayall, Peter Green, The Who, The Animals...and they are only from this side of the Atlantic.

Graham

Comment

• Some say Lennon wrote ‘I’ll get you’ but this is not a claim he made himself.

This source, based on an interview with Lennon, backs up McCartney's claim that it was a 50/50 partnership ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham View Post
                        And Clapton, Cream, John Mayall, Peter Green, The Who, The Animals...and they are only from this side of the Atlantic.

Graham
                        The kinks, the hollies, Herman and his Hermits, Scaffold (featuring a bloke who once said his brother played in a little band back home that no one probably heard of, when asked if he was from a musical family), Sandi Shaw, Cilla Black, and the list can go on and on and on, before we even think about crossing any oceans.
                        G U T

Comment

• Originally posted by Sherlock Houses View Post
                          Re. the Beatles, today being the 35th anniversary of the murder of the late, amazing John Lennon here is a great song of his from 1963, just over a year after the execution of the innocent James Hanratty. The flip side of "She loves you". I love it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI9Dm9B8W3o
                          That mongrel chapman robbed the world that day, just imagine how much more music here would have been .... And dare I dream a reunion?
                          G U T

Comment

• Some damn good stuff across the pond though, e.g. :

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Originally posted by NickB View Post
                              Some say Lennon wrote ‘I’ll get you’ but this is not a claim he made himself.

This source, based on an interview with Lennon, backs up McCartney's claim that it was a 50/50 partnership ...
                              http://www.johnlennon.talktalk.net/page1.html
                              I have a book somewhere that goes through all the interviews John and Paul ever did about who wrote what and at the end of he day there were (off the top of my head) only about one or two songs that hey disagreed over and then normally a vey minor disagreement.
                              G U T

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                                Some damn good stuff across the pond though, e.g. :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1L11Y0I5E0
                                Yep, a whole 'Nother list, then you can come Downunder and ind a few more though England or USA try to Claim them a lot of the time.
                                G U T

Comment

Working...
                                X