X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Steve View Post
    Reg

Hanratty didn't leave London on the Monday, and he only travelled as far as the Slough and Maidenhead area on the Tuesday. He did not have any alibi for the time that the murder and abduction took place, let alone a cast-iron alibi.

Sorry to say it but F-W's involvement in this case was a little strange to say the least.

KR
    Steve
    Steve
    Evidence for his excursion to Slough/Maidenhead on the Tuesday would be most appreciated. Witnesses etc. or whatever you have got please post them.
    Reg1965

Comment

• Steve
      We all know that Hanratty didn't leave for Liverpool on the Monady. I am not suggesting that he did. We all know he stayed at the Vienna in room 24.
      Alphon was first booked into room 24 on the Tuesday but was switched to room 6. No one really saw him book in...only the next day was he seen in room 6...totally dishevelled and with a pair of black gloves.
      Reg1965

Comment

Also, one has to accept that, since he was gainfully employed as a bus cleaner, he was not the brightest student in his year.
        I can't disagree with that statement Steve although I would agree with reg1965 that he deserves some respect as do many of the characters involved in this fascinating case.

The cleaner was mindful of carrying the gun carefully so as not to wipe off any fingerprints or get his onto the weapon. However, I doubt he gave much thought to handling the hanky. Why would he?

Comment

• a thought on witholding of of evidence.

given jh was charged with a capital offence for which death was the only sentence:

anybody concealing or falsifying evidence in order to secure a conviction would therefore be culpably trying to get him hung, as everybody knew the penalty.

consider: if jh were in fact innocent of this crime, a conviction based on false or witheld evidence would be totally wrong, so would the execution in fact be unlawful???? and what is an unlawful execution??? manslaughter?? murder??? tough t*tty???

what would that make the people who were responsible for the wrong conviction???

i have heard of 'conspiracy to pervert the course of justice', but i don't know if anybody has ever been tried and/or convicted for 'conspiracy to get someone exectuted'

i have heard of 'suicide by cop', but never 'murder by jury'

perhaps i ought to get out more...
          atb

larue

Comment

• Originally posted by reg1965 View Post
            Steve
            Have you ever been interviewed for a TV programme?
            Yes I have, and no I'm not Miller!

Comment

Steve
              Evidence for his excursion to Slough/Maidenhead on the Tuesday would be most appreciated. Witnesses etc. or whatever you have got please post them.
              Reg1965
              Evidence for his excursion? One dead body and Miss Storie violated.

Comment

Steve
                We all know that Hanratty didn't leave for Liverpool on the Monady. I am not suggesting that he did. We all know he stayed at the Vienna in room 24.
                Alphon was first booked into room 24 on the Tuesday but was switched to room 6. No one really saw him book in...only the next day was he seen in room 6...totally dishevelled and with a pair of black gloves.
                Reg1965
                This came from Nudds' second statement which he retracted shortly after making the statement.

Comment

• Originally posted by JamesDean View Post
                  I can't disagree with that statement Steve although I would agree with reg1965 that he deserves some respect as do many of the characters involved in this fascinating case.

The cleaner was mindful of carrying the gun carefully so as not to wipe off any fingerprints or get his onto the weapon. However, I doubt he gave much thought to handling the hanky. Why would he?
                  Actually I tried very hard not to disparage the cleaner in that posting, I thought I had chosen the wording carefully enough to convey the message without being disrespectul towards the cleaner.

Comment

• vienna hotel

does anybody exept me think it weird that the only two prime suspects were handed to the police on a plate via the good offices of a copper's nark at the vienna?
                    atb

larue

Comment

• Sorry Larue

But neither of the suspects (Alphon first, then Hanratty) were presented to the police through anyone at the Vienna hotel.

It was at the Alexander Court Hotel that guests complained about Alphon's behaviour, and at the time of Hanratty becoming a suspect he was known as Ryan. He was brought into the enquiry later.

KR
                      Steve

Comment

• Hi All!

1] Re: an A6 Case website, 'twas only a mere suggestion on my part, as I (a) just don't have the time to organise such; and (b) being a total computer numpty I wouldn't know how in a million years.

2] Hanratty's success as a criminal was, at best, intermittent. Witness his nicking of a car with a mate of his and ending up selling the spare-wheel of all things for a few quid to eat! Hmmm, master-criminal all right! He may have done all right as a burglar from time to time, but by his own admission he was disturbed at least once in these enterprises. Whatever financial gain he made by his burglaries it seemed he used it to fund his preferred 'life-style' (if that is the correct expression) by buying flash suits when he could afford them, and a flash motor (upon which it seems he inflicted considerable mechanical and bodywork damage). I think JH is the typical example of a not-too-bright, not-too-well-educated individual who lived purely for the day and didn't give a toss about tomorrow. Maybe he liked to put it about that he was a top crook, but who of his peers could take seriously someone who drank Babycham, didn't smoke, and slept on chairs courtesy of kind friends?

3] I still find it hard to understand how anyone can seriously accept his Liverpool/Rhyl alibis. There was never any absolute proof that either of these alibis was sound. I am certain that these alibis were founded upon previous visits to both these places, but were so childishly and amateurishly constructed that not even his defence counsel at his trial appeared to believe them, and actually required him to sign an affidavit in which he assumed full responsibility for any consequences arising.

4] Hi Larue - sorry to question your statement, but didn't Alphon hand himself to the coppers on a plate courtesy of his odd behavious at The Alexandra Court Hotel?

5] I'd have to say that the cleaner who found the gun was probably under strict orders from his employers (and, possibly, the police) to be very careful what he said during his interview. As Steve observes, Edwin does seem rather nervous...

6]...and finally, as has been said before a million times, in my honest opinion what really swung the jury at the trial was Valerie Storie's evidence, JH's change of alibi, and his performance in the witness-box. I think I'm correct in saying that his defence was not happy about his insistence on taking the stand - he seemed to think that by doing so the jury would see for themselves that he was just an ordinary bloke caught up in a nightmare scenario. It didn't work...

Cheers,

Graham

PS: not that it matters, but I've often wondered if Leonard Miller is that particular author's real name! If it is, I apologise to him unreservedly.
                        We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Sorry Larue

But neither of the suspects (Alphon first, then Hanratty) were presented to the police through anyone at the Vienna hotel.

It was at the Alexander Court Hotel that guests complained about Alphon's behaviour, and at the time of Hanratty becoming a suspect he was known as Ryan. He was brought into the enquiry later.

KR
                          Steve
                          Hi Steve,

Our posts crossed! Perhaps I should have added that the connection between 'Ryan' and 'Hanratty' remains a mystery, perhaps with Dixie France at the root of it.

Cheers,

Graham
                          We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Actually I tried very hard not to disparage the cleaner in that posting, I thought I had chosen the wording carefully enough to convey the message without being disrespectul towards the cleaner.
                            Agreed and I wasn't having a pop at you Steve. I was merely reminding myself to think before I write as it's all too easy to be careless in the way things are said. I just phrased it badly!

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham View Post
                              4] Hi Larue - sorry to question your statement, but didn't Alphon hand himself to the coppers on a plate courtesy of his odd behavious at The Alexandra Court Hotel?
                              oops, sorry guys, had a blonde moment there.

did the cops get any other reports of anyone behaving oddly in a hotel, or was there only Alphon?
                              atb

larue

Comment

• It was just Alphon behaving strangely at the Alexander Court (on that occasion!)

Comment

Working...
                                X