This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Graham View Post

Yeah, OK, I was skiving a bit today....but I did manage to visit 2 customers in between posts to this site.
    Hi Graham

2 customers should be enough to get your expenses signed off for the day.

KR
    Steve

Comment

Hi JM,

In his famed 'Confession Notes' Alphon implied that he was at the dog-track and then walked 'out into the country'.

Many of his 'confessions' contain little inaccuracies, put there I feel as fallbacks, and I think this was one of them. On the one hand he is saying that he is the A6 killer, but on the other he effectively scotches this by saying he was at the dog-track at an impossible time. He's playing a game: he's saying he's the killer, but making sure that, if the heat ever is turned on him, he has escape-routes.

Personally, I find it hard to believe anything Alphon said about the case, but for all his bullshitting he was a clever and manipulative man.

Cheers,

Graham
      Another for instance: 'With one shot he was gone.'

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Another for instance: 'With one shot he was gone.'

Steve,

I was racking my brains trying to recall that particular 'claim'. Ta.

Cheers,

Graham

PS: expenses duly signed off.
        We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Hi JM,

In his famed 'Confession Notes' Alphon implied that he was at the dog-track and then walked 'out into the country'.
          The dog track at Slough is long since gone, but it used to be on the east side of Slough and would have been one huge long walk to anywhere near Dorney Reach.

Comment

The dog track at Slough is long since gone, but it used to be on the east side of Slough and would have been one huge long walk to anywhere near Dorney Reach.

I once made the walk from the Old Station Inn site to the cornfield (or at least the entrance to it I thought was the correct one) and that near enough knackered me.

On a totally different note, I used to have a customer in Slough who had an office in the building featured in The Office (not a show I ever really liked, to be honest). I also just looked at my old customer-base and the number of firms I dealt with on the Slough Trading Estate - all defunct now.

G
            We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• Hi Graham

I remember you making both of these points on the old thread.

To really understand the A6 murder you have to visit the locations and research beyond merely reading the books.

We still have several clients in the Slough area, but sadly in our business too the numbers are dwindling on a daily basis!

KR
              Steve

Comment

• Hi Steve,

You're right about the need to visit the various locations. Unfortunately I never get down to the London area these days, so I always look forward to your excellent photos of places such as the Frances' flat, Louise Anderson's shop, etc.

One thing that puzzles me: your photo of the Stevonia shows a flight of stairs which apparently lead up to the entrance. Unless my decrepit memory fails me, I always understood that the two coppers who arrested Hanratty did so because they looked in the window and recognised him from the circulated description. I always assumed that they were just passing on the street. Maybe not, then; maybe for whatever reason they strolled up the stairs and there he was. Tip-off?

Cheers,

Graham

Comment

• Hi Graham

Hanratty was not arrested by beat officers looking casually in. I don’t know if it was a tip-off from the restaurant staff, but I do think it is another unexplained facet of this case!

Kind regards,
                  Steve

Comment

Hi Graham

Hanratty was not arrested by beat officers looking casually in. I don’t know if it was a tip-off from the restaurant staff, but I do think it is another unexplained facet of this case!

Kind regards,
                    Steve
                    Woffinden says that DC's Williams and Stillings 'looked in', noted a 'youthful-looking' man in a blue suit drinking coffee, and they then walked out and waited outside to arrest him as he came out. Hanratty said he was 'Peter Bates'. He then said that he was 'glad because he could now straighten things out' or words to that effect. Smells of tip-off to me...two DC's who just happen by a cafe in which sat England's most wanted man?

Cheers,

Graham

Comment

Smells of tip-off to me...two DC's who just happen by a cafe in which sat England's most wanted man?
                      to me too. question is, who did the tipping? a 'friend' maybe???
                      atb

larue

Comment

• The true reason for Hanratty’s visit to Blackpool is not known to us, although he did like to travel to different places, and perhaps he had heard of the Blackpool Illuminations!

It’s unlikely that anyone knew that Hanratty was in Blackpool before the arrest, and Hanratty would have been on his best behaviour knowing that he was a wanted man, so if a tip-off did take place it had to be from someone who recognised him. That could only really have been the people at the guest house, someone at the Stevonia or a passer-by who spotted him making the short walk between the two places.

Comment

The true reason for Hanratty’s visit to Blackpool is not known to us, although he did like to travel to different places, and perhaps he had heard of the Blackpool Illuminations!

It’s unlikely that anyone knew that Hanratty was in Blackpool before the arrest, and Hanratty would have been on his best behaviour knowing that he was a wanted man, so if a tip-off did take place it had to be from someone who recognised him. That could only really have been the people at the guest house, someone at the Stevonia or a passer-by who spotted him making the short walk between the two places.
                          Hi Steve,

Woffinden says he arrived at Blackpool at about 5.00pm on 11 October and later in the evening (about 10.00pm) he booked into Hope House b&b run by a Mrs Jean Skellito. After booking in she directed him to a car-park where he could re-park, which he apparently did, and then went to the Stevonia. Did Mrs Skellito recognise him and inform the police? I think by 11 October his actual photo rather than a photo-fit was in the papers and on TV.

Cheers,

Graham

PS: why aren't you making the motorway miles???

Comment

The true reason for Hanratty’s visit to Blackpool is not known to us, although he did like to travel to different places, and perhaps he had heard of the Blackpool Illuminations!

Hello Steve,

Didn’t Hanratty love fun fairs? There’s rather a large one at Blackpool. I can’t remember what Blackpool was like in the early sixties but can tell you it is now a dump. If you are thinking of visiting; don’t bother.
                            People say it is England’s Las Vegas. They’ve either not been to Blackpool or not been to Vegas. I’ve been to both and there is absolutely no similarity whatsoever.

I’ve not had any tripe yet this week but I did have oatcakes for my breakfast.

If as yourself and Graham keep telling us “The Jury saw through Hanratty and simply didn’t believe him” why do you think they were out so long?

As regards the magnificent 1957 film 12 Angry Men only one of the jurors is still with us; Jack Klugman aged 86.

I think the last to die, on 25th June 2005, was John Fielder who apart from being on that jury did the voice in the Winnie the Pooh cartoons of Piglet. Strangely he died the day after Paul Winchell who did the voice of Tigger.

What am I going on about? Time to get out I think.

Tony.

Comment

• Hi Graham

I remember Bob on the old thread had some interesting information on the Blackpool guest house.

Motorway miles? I'm typing this message on the M25 !!!!

KR
                              Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony View Post
                                Hello Steve,

Didn’t Hanratty love fun fairs? There’s rather a large one at Blackpool. I can’t remember what Blackpool was like in the early sixties but can tell you it is now a dump. If you are thinking of visiting; don’t bother.
                                People say it is England’s Las Vegas. They’ve either not been to Blackpool or not been to Vegas. I’ve been to both and there is absolutely no similarity whatsoever.
                                Yes, true and a good point about the fun fair at Blackpool. I too have been to both Las Vegas and Blackpool many times and you are right there is no comparison. The weather for one thing!

Comment

Working...
                                X