This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio 4 'Today' programme - Thursday 30th December

Just to let you know that Richard Ingram's will be re-opening the Hanratty case on Radio 4's Today programme tomorrow morning.

The programme is on air from 6am-9am and it will be on sometime during that, no more details I'm afraid!

ADRIAN.
    (Editor: Whitechapel Society Journal)
    www.whitechapelsociety.com
    Hello

Comment

• Many Thanks Adrian.I hope to be able to record it.
      All the Best,
      Norma

Comment

• The Radio 4 feature can be heard here.

Comment

• I heard on local radio this morning, that the Hanratty family are planning to apply for another appeal in 2011.
          Silence is Consent!

Comment

• Originally posted by NickB View Post
            The Radio 4 feature can be heard here.

Thanks for the link.

Comment

• Originally posted by Black Rabbit View Post
              I heard on local radio this morning, that the Hanratty family are planning to apply for another appeal in 2011.
              The family of James Hanratty, who was hanged for murder in 1962, are planning a fresh appeal against his conviction.

Comment

• After listening to the broadcast im starting to believe the case of James Hanratty is now turning into a defence of Paul Foot.

Comment

• http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Hanratty.html

Comment

• At no time did I hear anyone actually say that it was the Hanratty defence-team and family who initially pushed hard for the DNA tests, then rather suddenly became somewhat less enthusiastic when the early results were not quite what they expected. I also can't recall anyone saying who would actually pay for new DNA tests. Or if there is sufficient material existing on which DNA tests could actually be made.

I didn't catch the last 4 or 5 minutes of the piece, so apologise if any of the above were actually addressed.

Happy New Year to one and all!

Graham
                    We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• Derrick-thanks---read this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/...2e80d03581%2C0
                      -another solid piece of reporting here in the Daily Telegraph and one I missed earlier.

Comment

• Alright, if no one else has the bollocks to print it then I will.

In the Daily Mail article by Stephen Wright, Richard Hanratty, James' youngest brother says;

I went with my mum and dad to see the Home Secretary in 1973 because they wanted justice for James. The Home Secretary put his head in his hands and told my parents: “If your son was in prison now, I would have him out tomorrow.

The Government knew then that Hanratty was innocent. Never mind the latest DNA fit up.

The full article is here;
                        A fresh appeal is to be launched against one of Britain’s most controversial murder convictions in a last ditch bid to exonerate the man hanged for the crime.

Derrick

Comment

• Thanks for the link Derrick. I hope the latest campaign helps the Hanratty family and all those involved in this case to find peace. There are so many unanswered questions in this case. So much more could have been done at the time to get to the truth - the whole story should have been told and the motive more thoroughly investigated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Derrick View Post
                            Alright, if no one else has the bollocks to print it then I will.

In the Daily Mail article by Stephen Wright, Richard Hanratty, James' youngest brother says;

[/COLOR][/LEFT]

The Government knew then that Hanratty was innocent. Never mind the latest DNA fit up.

The full article is here;
                            A fresh appeal is to be launched against one of Britain’s most controversial murder convictions in a last ditch bid to exonerate the man hanged for the crime.

Derrick
                            Thanks Derrick and Julie .And its why its essential for people to read Paul Foot"s book because the evidence that was presented at the trial is shown ,by demonstrated facts , not to fit together in any way shape or form.Moreover Foot has demonstrated, by scrutinizing all that was reported by "witnesses" that both the Liverpool and Rhyl alibis were sound: Hanratty"s movements can be traced by Mrs Dinwoody,her granddaughter and her granddaughter"s friend on 22nd August 1961 first in Liverpool and later in Rhyl on 22nd August 1961,by Mrs Jones,her daughter,Mrs Brenda Davies,Mr Noel Davies ,Mrs Margaret Davies ,Mrs Margaret Walker and Mrs Ivy Vincent---not even including Mr Trevor Dutton and Mr Christopher Larman"s statements.
                            Foot also demonstrates that Scotland Yard had Hanratty"s name and his alias long before they started to hunt for him as the murderer-as early as the first week of September.Foot illustrates that within a week of the murder Janet Gregsten"s story of her mysterious "sighting" of James Hanratty on 31st August " the man with staring blue eyes"[Hanratty] had a very definite basis in fact and changed a very significant aspect of the suspect description given to the press the previous week.On the 31st August,the day Valerie Storie was moved from Bedford to Guy"s hospital and [co-incidently?] following a hospital visit made by Janet Gregsten,Valerie Storie changed her description of the murderer"s eyes,from deep set and brown to blue and staring. The story which was only allowed to be published after the trial in February 1962 in the Daily Sketch [and Mail]was that she had intuited the man she saw going into the Dry Cleaners opposite her brother in law"s "antique shop" to be her husband"s murderer.Very soon after the "sighting" by Janet Gregsten Hanratty was allegedly seen going into the Flower shop nearby by William Ewer. Foot demonstrates that William Ewer, Janet Gregsten"s brother in law later to become her lover,then called the police who came to talk to several shop keepers in the Swiss Cottage parade of shops.One of these was Mrs Dorothy Morrell- who was still manageress of the Flower shop, "Caters", when Paul Foot interviewed her in 1970.She remembered the visit of Hanratty on the day Janet Gregsten said she saw him go into her shop to send flowers to Mrs Hanratty in Sycamore Grove and still had the record of his purchase and the address the flowers were to be sent to---and she confirmed that soon afterwards,inquiries were made about Hanratty by two plain clothes policemen.
                            A very similar visit was made by Hanratty that very same week to the famous "Dry Cleaners" which Janet Gregsten had allegedly originally said he went into,according to the Daily Sketch story.In fact the Dry Cleaner visit by James Hanratty was also confirmed by the assistant in the Dry Cleaners who gave evidence on oath at the Trial that Hanratty had indeed placed his green trousers in there on 21st August at about 11 am and picked them up during the first week of September 1961.
                            Foot"s book is a a must for anyone interested in the truth.
                            Last edited by Natalie Severn; 12-31-2010, 07:43 PM.

Comment

• Hi Norma - Good post.

Yes -Paul Foot certainly went to a great deal of trouble to investigate avenues of this case not previously in the public eye. It is perhaps because of Paul's book that many people who had only a vague knowledge of the case actually took more of an interest.

It is also interesting to note that of the half dozen or so books written about this case - only Miller and Blom-Cooper (to my knowledge but please feel free to correct me if I am wrong) cast doubt on Hanratty's innocence.

Those who have raised doubts about his guilt - Foot - Lord Russell - Woffinden in particular - have all gone to great lengths to interview witnesses & potential witnesses and deconstruct the trial. Thye all put their reputations on the line - why would they do that for the sake of a petty criminal - if they did not believe deeply that az miscarriage of justice had been done?

Comment

• Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                                Hi Norma - Good post.

Yes -Paul Foot certainly went to a great deal of trouble to investigate avenues of this case not previously in the public eye. It is perhaps because of Paul's book that many people who had only a vague knowledge of the case actually took more of an interest.

It is also interesting to note that of the half dozen or so books written about this case - only Miller and Blom-Cooper (to my knowledge but please feel free to correct me if I am wrong) cast doubt on Hanratty's innocence.

Those who have raised doubts about his guilt - Foot - Lord Russell - Woffinden in particular - have all gone to great lengths to interview witnesses & potential witnesses and deconstruct the trial. Thye all put their reputations on the line - why would they do that for the sake of a petty criminal - if they did not believe deeply that az miscarriage of justice had been done?
                                Its called campaigning journalism. For a certain group of authors its a very attractive crowd to be in. A stab at the big bad "Establishment" doesnt hurt either.

Comment

Working...
                                X