This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
    I am surprised to see this 'debate' still going on - after all the case was decided a long time ago - like it or not. I guess that some still feel that there is mileage in it.
    Yes, the case was decided long ago, Stewart, but there are still some intriguing aspects of it (apart from the DNA) that some think are worth debating. Unfortunately, the DNA argument has all but taken over this thread, to the great detriment of it, in my opinion. When the thread was first started many moons ago the DNA was debated, of course, but so was the case on a very general basis and the thread was the more interesting for it.

Graham
    We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

I am surprised to see this 'debate' still going on - after all the case was decided a long time ago - like it or not. I guess that some still feel that there is mileage in it.
      Well Stewart--ofcourse there is mileage while there is doubt....and the fact that the police case at the time didnt stand up.

I have been keeping up with the Le Grand case though and am with you and Tom on that one!

Comment

• Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post
        and the fact that the police case at the time didnt stand up.
        Provided "didn't stand up" includes "convinced a jury"!

KR,
        Vic.
        Truth is female, since truth is beauty rather than handsomeness; this [...] would certainly explain the saying that a lie could run around the world before Truth has got its, correction, her boots on, since she would have to chose which pair - the idea that any woman in a position to choose would have just one pair of boots being beyond rational belief.
        Unseen Academicals - Terry Pratchett.

Comment

• What Do I Know?

Well, then, what do I know? Apart from the fact that an old retired New Scotland Yard detective inspector friend of mine actually worked on the case with Superintendent Acott and I discussed it with him, again, just a few months ago. I have no reason to amend my belief as regards this case and, of course, permitted evidence in a court of law and that which is known but cannot be used are two different things.
          SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Well, then, what do I know? Apart from the fact that an old retired New Scotland Yard detective inspector friend of mine actually worked on the case with Superintendent Acott and I discussed it with him, again, just a few months ago. I have no reason to amend my belief as regards this case and, of course, permitted evidence in a court of law and that which is known but cannot be used are two different things.
            Stewart,
            I take it that you know something the rest of us don"t? Is it possible for you to give us a clue.....I am aware that the police were convinced about Hanratty"s guilt but this can only have been once Alphon was eliminated surely?

Thanks
            Norma

Comment

• Hanratty

Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post
              Stewart,
              I take it that you know something the rest of us don"t? Is it possible for you to give us a clue.....I am aware that the police were convinced about Hanratty"s guilt but this can only have been once Alphon was eliminated surely?
              Thanks
              Norma
              It's a case that I have been interested in since the time it happened back in 1961. I read about it in the papers at the time and looked at my watch at the moment Hanratty was hanged.

As I have stated before on these boards, an old friend of mine was a detective who assisted on the case in the original investigation and he tells of how evidence that Hanratty had perverted sexual tastes was found at the time but could not be used. I have discussed the case at length with him.

Another friend of mine was very friendly with Mrs Gregsten and he told me of what she had to say about the case.

So, I do speak with some knowledge of what went on.
              SPE

Comment

It's a case that I have been interested in since the time it happened back in 1961. I read about it in the papers at the time and looked at my watch at the moment Hanratty was hanged.

As I have stated before on these boards, an old friend of mine was a detective who assisted on the case in the original investigation and he tells of how evidence that Hanratty had perverted sexual tastes was found at the time but could not be used. I have discussed the case at length with him.

Another friend of mine was very friendly with Mrs Gregsten and he told me of what she had to say about the case.

I recall you posting that some time ago, Stewart, and thinking that it provided a rather interesting insight into JH's character. I've often wondered if this might be connected with the 'file' of personal material that JH handed to Donald Slack, and which was appropriated by Acott during the course of the investigation.

Would it be possible for you to give some details as to Janet Gregsten's discussions with your friend, or should they remain confidential?

Graham
                We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• Stewart,
                  Many thanks for your post . This seems to throw quite a different light on Hanratty since the defence were at pains to use the testimony of his girl friends which pointed to someone behaving in a way that would have been concurrent with the norms of sexual behaviour for a twenty four year old at the time.Added to this was the fact that he had no record of violence.
                  But you appear to be inferring that he had a secret life that was not allowed to be used in court? If so, was it ever the case that he had "acted out" any of these sexual fantasies?
                  Best
                  Norma

Comment

• My Friend

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                    I recall you posting that some time ago, Stewart, and thinking that it provided a rather interesting insight into JH's character. I've often wondered if this might be connected with the 'file' of personal material that JH handed to Donald Slack, and which was appropriated by Acott during the course of the investigation.
                    Would it be possible for you to give some details as to Janet Gregsten's discussions with your friend, or should they remain confidential?
                    Graham
                    My friend, who knew Mrs. Gregsten, is a well-known TV and film scriptwriter and what he told me was in private conversation. However, when we are next in touch I shall discuss the matter with him and see if he is willing to share his recollections. It may not be possible as the family might object to her and what she said being discussed.
                    Last edited by Stewart P Evans; 07-15-2010, 12:20 PM.
                    SPE

Comment

• Preferences

Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post
                      Stewart,
                      Many thanks for your post . This seems to throw quite a different light on Hanratty since the defence were at pains to use the testimony of his girl friends which pointed to someone behaving in a way that would have been concurrent with the norms of sexual behaviour for a twenty four year old at the time.Added to this was the fact that he had no record of violence.
                      But you appear to be inferring that he had a secret life that was not allowed to be used in court? If so, was it ever the case that he had "acted out" any of these sexual fantasies?
                      Best
                      Norma
                      I don't know about 'a secret life', this is in relation to sexual preferences which most would consider abnormal. However, I suppose many would ask, in this context, "What is normal?"
                      SPE

Comment

My friend, who knew Mrs. Gregsten, is a well-known TV and film scriptwriter and what he told me was in private conversation. However, when we are next in touch I shall discuss the matter with him and see if he is willing to share his recollections. It may not be possible as the family might object to her and what she said being discussed.
                        Understood.

Graham

Comment

• Witnesses

I have noticed in this thread the tendency to dispose of witness testimony that does not fit a particular person's own theorising or ideas by attacking the character and reputation of the witness.

I was a police officer for nearly thirty years and I have taken hundreds of witness statements. In criminal cases, of their mere nature, many witnesses are often criminals themselves and have bad reputations. It is a very old ploy of defence counsel, authors, and amateur theorists to dispose of this inconvenient evidence when it does not suit their arguments by attacking the witness ad hominen. Paul Foot is a prime example of an author doing this.

However, this does not mean that such witnesses always lied, nor that their statements were false.
                          SPE

Comment

I have noticed in this thread the tendency to dispose of witness testimony that does not fit a particular person's own theorising or ideas by attacking the character and reputation of the witness.

I was a police officer for nearly thirty years and I have taken hundreds of witness statements. In criminal cases, of their mere nature, many witnesses are often criminals themselves and have bad reputations. It is a very old ploy of defence counsel, authors, and amateur theorists to dispose of this inconvenient evidence when it does not suit their arguments by attacking the witness ad hominen. Paul Foot is a prime example of an author doing this.

However, this does not mean that such witnesses always lied, nor that their statements were false.
                            Very well said and also very timely, Stewart. I think we're probably all guilty of doing this, irrespective of which side of the fence we're on.

Graham

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham View Post
                              Very well said and also very timely, Stewart. I think we're probably all guilty of doing this, irrespective of which side of the fence we're on.

Graham
                              Absolutely, Graham, both camps are guilty of this.

Comment

Hi Stewart,

I think that, what would have been considered perverted in 1961 would not necessarily be considered so now. Additionally, indulgence in what might be considered perverted adult material, does not necessarily mean that person is likely to act on it. If police were in possession of material that indicated Hanratty had violent tendencies of a sexual nature, surely they should have been placed before the jury as evidence?

Comment

Working...
                                X