X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Graham View Post
    "She Saw Him At The Cleaners" was journalistic invention,
    A very sweeping statement if I might say so, Graham. I trust you have proof/evidence to substantiate your claim.

I wonder why Billy Ewer never made any attempts to sue Peter Duffy, the writer of the 'fictitious' article ? What would have been Duffy's agenda for doing such a thing, especially when you consider the fact that Duffy always maintained that Hanratty was guilty ?

Ewer never going to believe this but I don't believe Billy Liar.
    Last edited by jimarilyn; 10-15-2009, 04:50 PM. Reason: typo error

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham View Post
      "She Saw Him At The Cleaners" was journalistic invention, and I believe the two newsmen responsible spoke about it to Woffinden, who appeared not to believe it either.

Ewer always denied making the "Ryan-Hanratty" link to the police.
      Hi Graham,

The name Duffy is springing to mind. Journalist being one profession that is comparable to politician in the honest stakes.

KR,
      Vic.
      Truth is female, since truth is beauty rather than handsomeness; this [...] would certainly explain the saying that a lie could run around the world before Truth has got its, correction, her boots on, since she would have to chose which pair - the idea that any woman in a position to choose would have just one pair of boots being beyond rational belief.
      Unseen Academicals - Terry Pratchett.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimarilyn View Post
        A very sweeping statement if I might say so, Graham. I trust you have proof/evidence to substantiate your claim.
        Hi James,

Crossed posts, but at least I got the name right.

Asking Graham to prove a negative (the journalist's story is not true) is virtually impossible, the onus is on those promoting the sotry to provide some evidence for it... and there isn't any.

KR,
        Vic.
        Truth is female, since truth is beauty rather than handsomeness; this [...] would certainly explain the saying that a lie could run around the world before Truth has got its, correction, her boots on, since she would have to chose which pair - the idea that any woman in a position to choose would have just one pair of boots being beyond rational belief.

Comment

I wonder why Billy Ewer never made any attempts to sue Peter Duffy, the writer of the 'fictitious' article ? What would have been Duffy's agenda for doing such a thing, especially when you consider the fact that Duffy always maintained that Hanratty was guilty ?

Ewer never going to believe this but I don't believe Billy Liar.
          Not a sweeping statement at all, Graham. Peter Duffy is the name of the journalist (couldn't recall it, don't have my books), but I'm sure it's treated pretty fully by Woffinden. Why should Ewer sue Duffy? Did what he wrote amount to scurrilous libel? I hardly think so. And Ewer was pretty hot on issuing writs. Duffy's agenda, like that of all journalists, was to sell newspapers, of course. What else?

Graham

PS: and who, one wonders, is the mysterious BIN who posted a load of heiroglyphics just now....?
          We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• Hi Everybody,

For any interested parties I've managed to upload onto Youtube (from another source) the original Channel 4 documentary "Hanratty : The Mystery of Deadman's Hill", which was broadcast in April 1992. The segments (7 in all) are of longer duration (about 9 minutes) and have a much better sound/picture quality than the 13 smaller segments of the 1995 updated version which I uploaded in January of this year.

James

Last edited by jimarilyn; 10-17-2009, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Hi Everybody,

For any interested parties I've managed to upload onto Youtube (from another source) the original Channel 4 documentary "Hanratty : The Mystery of Deadman's Hill", which was broadcast in April 1992. The segments (7 in all) are of longer duration (about 9 minutes) and have a much better sound/picture quality than the 13 smaller segments of the 1995 updated version which I uploaded in January of this year.

James

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57t649u19Gs
              Hi James
              Thank you for that, it came through loud and clear. Well done.
              Thnx
              Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveS View Post
                Hi James
                Thank you for that, it came through loud and clear. Well done.
                Thnx
                Steve
                No problemo Steve. The sound quality of the 1995 update which I uploaded on YouTube earlier this year left something to be desired. That particular update was from an old videotaped recording which I transferred onto DVD a couple of years ago.

If any posters have the BitTorrent program installed on their PC's they can download the entire 1992 documentary (for free) onto their computer, from the following website (they just have to register first; then type Hanratty in the search box and then click the download icon to the right of the documentary title...it then downloads onto the BitTorrent site and is installed on your PC to view whenever you like)

The discerning viewer will notice that portions of the 1992 original version are missing from the 1995 update.

Incidentally Steve I was very impressed by your recent postings on this thread, they were excellent.

James
                Last edited by jimarilyn; 10-17-2009, 10:35 PM.

Comment

For any interested parties I've managed to upload onto Youtube (from another source) the original Channel 4 documentary "Hanratty : The Mystery of Deadman's Hill", which was broadcast in April 1992.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57t649u19Gs
                  Hi James,

I've just watched this again, and the sound quality is great, so thank you for putting it up.

It's a shame the programme has such an obvious bias, to the point of manipulating the facts in the case of Mrs Dinwoodie; and Ingledene matched Hanratty's description of where he stayed in Rhyl, when it could have been virtually anywhere.

It was also quite obvious that much of the case was summarised, for example Louise Anderson wasn't mentioned at all, but then there was loads of waffling from Michael Hanratty and David Lines.

KR,
                  Vic.

Comment

• Waffling from Michael Hantratty? He was the accused's brother! The one who campaigned for years and years to clear his brother's name.

Louise Anderson's role in the trial was shameful.

Comment

• Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                      Waffling from Michael Hantratty? He was the accused's brother! The one who campaigned for years and years to clear his brother's name.
                      Hi Julie,

Yes he was James' brother and it's quite right that his opinions were represented, such as his opinions on how well James could drive and that he taught Michael to drive, but to avoid mentioning the fact that JH had an accident in Ireland is direct evidence of a biased account.

Louise Anderson's role in the trial was shameful.
                      Since Hanratty has subsequently been shown to be guilty as a result of the DNA analysis, her account has been cast in a new light, so what exactly do you mean by "shameful"? It is entirely plausible and possible that Hanratty did steal her gloves, and tell her about the gun in the airing cupboard at the France residence including the carrier bag with the Butcher's name on it. I've not heard a reasonable explanation for how she knew this specific detail.

The programme also mentioned the possibility of DNA evidence in a hopeful light, it is quite telling that this evidence has only been besmirched AFTER the results were announced.

KR,
                      Vic.
                      Last edited by Victor; 10-19-2009, 12:48 AM.

Comment

• Hi Vic,

Indeed. One can just imagine the reaction if the DNA result had been t'other way round and one of us had dared to suggest that Hanratty was still the rapist despite none of his DNA showing up, while Alphon's DNA must have resulted from a contamination event.

Love,

Caz
                        X
                        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Ludovic Kennedy has died

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
                          Last edited by Limehouse; 10-19-2009, 07:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
                            Hi Vic,

Indeed. One can just imagine the reaction if the DNA result had been t'other way round and one of us had dared to suggest that Hanratty was still the rapist despite none of his DNA showing up, while Alphon's DNA must have resulted from a contamination event.

Love,

Caz
                            X

It is hardly fair to speculate what anyone's reaction might be if the situation was reversed. By all means, express your opinion, disagree with those of us who doubt Hanratty's guilt, point out the error of our logic, but please don't batter us with speculated reactions that have no basis.

I know many of you 'Hanratty did it' brigade look down your noses at us stupid folks who have grave doubts about the case, but do you have to sound so smug all of the time?

Comment

• Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                              Yes Limehouse

A truly great man and a great humanist has died.

His long held support for the innocence of Bentley and Evans had been vindicated. Not only that, in a time of villification of the IRA and the general troubles in Northern Ireland he stuck to his guns over the innocence of the Guildford Four, the Maguire Family and The Birmingham Six and was proved quite correct.

It is very rare that a man should be described as being someone that would be sorely missed. Mr Kennedy is such a man. I would go further and suggest that we will never his kind again except for the said loss of Paul Foot.

We still have great investigative journalism, albeit in very short supply, Chomsky, Pilger and Michael Moore to name but a few among a very few.

But beyond that the oasis of truth and reason seems to well and truly separated by vasts seas of desert.

By the way the Reed Brothers appeal starts tomorrow. Watch this space you infidels

Thnx
                              Steve

Comment

• Excellent post Steve. Yes, Kennedy was possibly the last of the greatly humane gentlemen of his generation. God bless him in his rest.

Comment

Working...
                                X