This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi James,
    Only one person living can tie up all the puzzles of this case that being Valerie, of course the poor woman would never comment on the scene now some 48 years on, but it would be helpful in determining the actual events as they unfolded, and stop all this speculating.
    If the gunman opened fire at MG, When the victim was in the act of passing over the duffle bag, then clearly both hands would not have ended up clutching the steering wheel, unless.
    a] They were placed there,
    b] Mike reached over with his left hand on the bag , and the right one on the wheel, and the impact of the shots sent, his left hand back to the wheel.
    All complicated stuff, but obviously both hands got fixed on the wheel somehow.
    I would say either a, or b. was the answer.
    The whole crux of the matter , is not unlike the Ripper murders , we are guilty of suspecting all kinds of jiggery/P, when a simple explanation is obviously present.
    Regards Richard.

Comment

• This is an aspect of Valerie's evidence that puzzled me for a long time.

Chances are that the gunman demanded Mike to pass the duffel-bag to him. Mike, seriously angry and doubtlessly not a little scared, picked up the bag and swung it over Valerie's head for the gunman to take, and let it go. He, Mike, then turned around, maybe with a snort of disgust, and grabbed the wheel with both hands, at which point the gunman fired. I don't think that Mike made an attempt to use the duffel bag as a weapon against the gunman, because that would really have been rather pointless, and I don't think the sequence of events could have happened so quickly as Paul Foot suggests.

Cheers,

Graham
      We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham View Post
        This is an aspect of Valerie's evidence that puzzled me for a long time.

Chances are that the gunman demanded Mike to pass the duffel-bag to him. Mike, seriously angry and doubtlessly not a little scared, picked up the bag and swung it over Valerie's head for the gunman to take, and let it go. He, Mike, then turned around, maybe with a snort of disgust, and grabbed the wheel with both hands, at which point the gunman fired. I don't think that Mike made an attempt to use the duffel bag as a weapon against the gunman, because that would really have been rather pointless, and I don't think the sequence of events could have happened so quickly as Paul Foot suggests.

Cheers,

Graham

This scenario however, Graham, conflicts with Valerie Storie's evidence in court. Describing this incident she said...

"Somehow or other the duffle bag containing the washing had got into the front of the car. I cannot remember at exactly what stage it was moved from the back into the front, but it was done by Mike. He turned to Mike and said, 'Give me that bag up.' Mike picked the bag up with both hands, turned towards the centre of the car, that is to his left, and just as he was lifting it over the back of the seat, the man fired two shots in very quick succession at Mike's head."

regards,
        James

Comment

• Originally posted by jimarilyn View Post
          Hi Larue,
          Just to clarify things a little am I correct in assuming that the photographer's bag (?) is where I've pointed to in the picture below ? The object I was referring to is marked with a few question marks.
          regards,
          James
          hi James

i have tracked down my original copy of this picture, it is in my hardbacked version of Keith Simpson's 'Forty Years Of Murder' and your mystery object is'nt in that one either... it is cropped off. the RAC box is just visible though. no wonder i could'nt figure what you were referring too!
          atb

larue

Comment

• Originally posted by Victor View Post
            A more significant effect by far would be that VS eyes would have acclimitised to the low light levels and the passing headlights would be too BRIGHT rather than not bright enough.
            KR,
            Vic.
            too bright for what Vic?
            atb

larue

Comment

• Originally posted by larue View Post
              too bright for what Vic?
              Too bright to focus properly. Dazzling.
              Truth is female, since truth is beauty rather than handsomeness; this [...] would certainly explain the saying that a lie could run around the world before Truth has got its, correction, her boots on, since she would have to chose which pair - the idea that any woman in a position to choose would have just one pair of boots being beyond rational belief.
              Unseen Academicals - Terry Pratchett.

Comment

• Sorry Victor but I don't buy that for one minute. The lay-by is several feet higher than the road. Not to mention the grassy mound in between.

Comment

• Have you ever tried sitting in a layby in a dark country lane at night? When a car comes along the road and shines the headlights towards you then you are momentarily blinded because it's too bright. This isn't something I've invented it's night-vision and happens to most people with eyesight.

Anyway, Tony should be able to confirm when he gets his testing head back on.

edit: See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_vision (Biological Night Vision section)
                  Last edited by Victor; 04-29-2009, 06:00 PM.
                  Truth is female, since truth is beauty rather than handsomeness; this [...] would certainly explain the saying that a lie could run around the world before Truth has got its, correction, her boots on, since she would have to chose which pair - the idea that any woman in a position to choose would have just one pair of boots being beyond rational belief.
                  Unseen Academicals - Terry Pratchett.

Comment

• I am not so sure it would have been that dark by the time they got to the lay-by. Wasn't it about 3.30am by then? Remember, this was August. It gets light about 4am at that time of year so I reckon it was far from pitch black.

Comment

Too bright to focus properly. Dazzling.
                      [blast!!!! that's another post disappeared into the ether. does anyone else have this trouble???]

i'll try again...

hi Vic

given the relative position of the death car to any passing vehicle, i doubt that the passing vehicle's headlights could have shone directly into the death car.

anyways, if ms storie was dazzled and unfocussed by another vehicle's headlights, how could she have seen her assailan't eyes properly?
                      Last edited by larue; 04-29-2009, 08:38 PM. Reason: typos. again.
                      atb

larue

Comment

Have you ever tried sitting in a layby in a dark country lane at night?
                        yes, many times, but not necessarily for the same reason as you

Originally posted by Victor View Post
                        When a car comes along the road and shines the headlights towards you then you are momentarily blinded because it's too bright.
                        only if you look right at 'em, if you look away... no problemo

Originally posted by Victor View Post
                        Anyway, Tony should be able to confirm when he gets his testing head back on.
                        i have already tried this. could not tell what color my wife's eyes were, and last night in a well lit tesco parking lot, looking in the rear view mirror, i could not tell what color my eyes are!!!!!

i will be very interested to read Tony's result.
                        atb

larue

Comment

• Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                          I am not so sure it would have been that dark by the time they got to the lay-by. Wasn't it about 3.30am by then? Remember, this was August. It gets light about 4am at that time of year so I reckon it was far from pitch black.

hi Limehouse

this is a verrrrry interesting point. but then again, if is was light enough for ms storie to see her assailant, why should she mention a passing car?
                          atb

larue

Comment

• Originally posted by larue View Post
                            hi Limehouse

this is a verrrrry interesting point. but then again, if is was light enough for ms storie to see her assailant, why should she mention a passing car?
                            "They say the darkest hour is right before the dawn."

Bob Dylan
                            Meet Me In The Morning
                            from Blood On The Tracks (1975)

Comment

• Originally posted by reg1965 View Post

Bob Dylan
                              Meet Me In The Morning
                              Also:

"And the darkest hour is just before dawn"
                              Dedicated to the One I Love
                              Mamas & Papas

Comment

• Originally posted by reg1965 View Post

Bob Dylan
                                Meet Me In The Morning

Hi Reg,

Great album from a true musical genius. The man continues to amaze.

Hope the Gooners turn Man Urinal over next Tuesday and go on to win the Final, maybe get revenge for that 2006 Final.

regards,
                                James

Comment

Working...
                                X