This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi All
    Say that we turned the Rhyl alibi on its head and suppose just for a minute that all the witnesses, combined with equal calibre of identification evidence, had been from the Taplow area on that infamous night and were witnesses for the prosecution against Hanratty.

How many here would think that we would still be discussing the case today?

Reg

Tony
    What about that great British eccentric that is the late great Viv Stanshall? The Sir Henry stuff is sheer comic genius!
    Last edited by Guest; 04-08-2009, 07:58 PM. Reason: bit about VS

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony View Post
      Hello James,

I know I have said this before and I can only think I am too lazy to find out for myself but sometime over the years I have read about Mr Nimmo on another case which was a possible or definite miscarriage of justice. Can you help me, Sir?

By the way I have not seen anything form Vic over the last couple of days do you know if he is on holiday? I’m missing him tremendously.

Tony.

Hey just thinking about it where is Viv as well; surely they haven’t gone off together?
      By the way James I remember you coming up with an extensive list of three males called Viv; the great Viv Richards, Viv Busby and our old team captain Viv Anderson. But what about Vyvyan from out of The Young Ones? Ahhh! Wrong spelling. Drat.
      Hi Tony,

What a pitiable and embarrassing second half non-performance against Chelsea. I was thinking of doing a Dixie France afterwards but thought better of it. The Owls did well at the weekend didn't they ? As I was watching the Aintree Grand National (just 2 miles down the road) on TV on Saturday I was reminded of the time a horse called Wednesday ran in the National. I think it was the 1977 race and it was going great guns until the second to last fence when it was brought down by another horse. I think that was the only time that Wednesday fell on a Saturday !

Sorry I can't help any on the Derek Nimmo front. Did a googly on him (but not on the great Viv Richards) and all that came up was the A6 murder inquiry (perhaps non-inquiry would be more apt) of 1967. You're a very knowledgable chap Tony and I'm sure you must be right on this matter. I wonder how (and why) Mr Nimmo was chosen to carry out this investigation. By the way Reg's recent post about Derek was spot on.

I'm missing Vic tremendously also, perhaps not as much as you and Reg though. I really admire the empathy he feels for the likes of Hanratty and the arch criminal Mrs Grace Jones to name but three. You'll never hear Vic calling Hanratty a lying, thieving, murderous scumbag.

Don't know where Viv's gone I really enjoyed reading his impartial posts, very refreshing. One thing's for definite, P.L.A who used to post on this thread is not the real PLA (just in case anyone had any doubts).

Won't be long before those men in white coats come for me !

regards,
      James

Comment

• Rhyl witnesses

Hello all,

This is interesting: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/...ous-alibi.html

You might have seen it before but I think it is worth another look.

Tony.

Comment

Hello all,

Tony.
          Hi Tony,

Many thanks for that link. I had never come across that article before and it was very enlightening. Besides all the very impressive and trustworthy Rhyl citizens who did come forward to speak about what they had witnessed on the 22nd and 23rd of August 1961, I wonder how many others there were who saw or met James Hanratty but were reluctant to get involved.

John posted about this recently and he made some very valid points. Do the majority of people not want to get involved when it comes to such matters ?

regards,
          James

Comment

• Hi All
            Does anyone have a watchable copy of the BBC film Bad Company about the Carl Bridgewater case which starred Angus Deayton as Paul Foot? Or where I could get a copy on DVD?

Does anyone have anything on Hubert Spencer the ambulance driver who was the more likely killer of Carl Bridgewater? Trying to discover some info on the man and his current place of lodging...assumed to be at one of her maj's holiday retreats for the ill behaved for murdering his mate.

regards
            Reg

Comment

• Originally posted by reg1965 View Post
              Hi All
              Does anyone have a watchable copy of the BBC film Bad Company about the Carl Bridgewater case which starred Angus Deayton as Paul Foot? Or where I could get a copy on DVD?

Does anyone have anything on Hubert Spencer the ambulance driver who was the more likely killer of Carl Bridgewater? Trying to discover some info on the man and his current place of lodging...assumed to be at one of her maj's holiday retreats for the ill behaved for murdering his mate.

regards
              Reg
              A very good afternoon to you Reg,

My computer is playing up so please bear with me if this goes wrong. If it does, by the way, my computer will be getting an introduction to the inside of my wheelie bin.

I have also tried to get a DVD of Bad Company without success but I may have an old Video tape of it; I’ll have a dig around and if I find it I’ll let you know. I might do something a bit clever for me and that is to transfer it on to a DVD. I will, of course, be happy to send you a copy.

The last time I checked good old Hubert Spencer was dead and Jimmy Robinson died about eighteen months ago of lung cancer.

I’ll let you know what I come up with later this weekend.

Tony

Comment

A very good afternoon to you Reg,

My computer is playing up so please bear with me if this goes wrong. If it does, by the way, my computer will be getting an introduction to the inside of my wheelie bin.

I have also tried to get a DVD of Bad Company without success but I may have an old Video tape of it; I’ll have a dig around and if I find it I’ll let you know. I might do something a bit clever for me and that is to transfer it on to a DVD. I will, of course, be happy to send you a copy.

The last time I checked good old Hubert Spencer was dead and Jimmy Robinson died about eighteen months ago of lung cancer.

I’ll let you know what I come up with later this weekend.

Tony
                A very good early evening to you Tony.
                Computers...can't live with 'em etc etc!

That would be damn decent of you. I remember seeing it when it first came out about 15 years ago. I think it was in 2 parts. I couldn't believe how obvious it was that dear old Hubert was the man the myopic old bill wanted! I then read Paul's book and...well what can one say. Another pigs ear by the filth.
                Wasn't the West Midlands Serious Fit Up Dept shut down because of this case?

Take care
                Reg

Comment

• In looking at the enigma of James Hanratty more and the discrepancies both pro and against I came across another one. Woffinden argues on page 251 that Hanratty never knew the Bear Hotel , and could not in any case, as did not drink.

On page 100 he cites Hanratty going into the Rehearsal club and ordering a Babycham( admittedly not like vodka. but nonethe less alcohol).

Well ,what is the truth?

If he ordered babycham then he could order drink anywhere surely?

Incidentally you know I do not believe he did it simply because I think Hanratty would not have wandered all day in the Slough/Maidenhead area doing nothing-and looking for houses to burgle(remember the cottagers saw a man around 2 o'clock that day in the lane that appeared mysterious and if Hanratty, it would be another 7 1/2 hours before the field) then wait until late evening to then hold a car in frustration(as Miller writes). Hanratty could not stay still for 5 minutes before getting bored and most certainly did not walk unless he had to do it. Even getting taxis for short distances (however this makes Scotland Road alibi iffy......)

This is why the case is the most fascinating.

Nimmo did not in his 1967 report interview Henry Parry. I wonder why?

Comment

• Docu on BBC4 tonight at 2220 hours, could be some nice footage of soho in 1961. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00jw9cy.

Comment

Hey just thinking about it where is Viv as well; surely they haven’t gone off together?
                      By the way James I remember you coming up with an extensive list of three males called Viv; the great Viv Richards, Viv Busby and our old team captain Viv Anderson. But what about Vyvyan from out of The Young Ones? Ahhh! Wrong spelling. Drat.

Hi all

Thanks for missing me!

I definitely was not with Vic on a holiday! For varying reasons had cause to reflect on the strength of family bonds and I am full of admiration for the way James hanratty's father fought his case with such dedication. I can only imagine the hurt the family experienced - irrespective of his guilt or otherwise - especially believing so strongly in his innocence. Add to that the tragedy for the Gregsten family and as has been commented before, the need for us to be very mindful of all those affected in this tragic case.

Other Viv's include Viv Busby - footballer

Different sex - Viv Nichoson (spend spend spend)
                      Vivienne Neve - page 3 model
                      Vivien Leigh (actress)

and apparently the lady of the lake was called Vivien

all the best, always

this Viv
                      Last edited by jimornot?; 04-13-2009, 04:13 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

• Originally posted by jimarilyn View Post
                        Hi Tony,

Many thanks for that link. I had never come across that article before and it was very enlightening. Besides all the very impressive and trustworthy Rhyl citizens who did come forward to speak about what they had witnessed on the 22nd and 23rd of August 1961, I wonder how many others there were who saw or met James Hanratty but were reluctant to get involved.

John posted about this recently and he made some very valid points. Do the majority of people not want to get involved when it comes to such matters ?

regards,
                        James
                        Hi James

there have been several psychological studies on reactions to actually witnessing crimes and how peer prressure can influence things. If some people are sometimes reluctant to come forward to STOP people being hurt or worse, we can only imagine how much less likely they are to become involved when even less directly connected. Sadly!

It does make me wonder if the underworld knew more than was disclosed but if so, why nothing seems to have been mentioned

ATB

Viv

Comment

• Rhyl

Originally posted by Tony View Post
                          Hello all,

Tony.
                          Hi Tony

hope the computer is ok now

This is fascinating and as Reg wrote later it makes you wonder what we'd feel if there was such a weight of testimony identifying JH at the murder and kidnap scene beyond of course, that of Valerie Storie

ATB

Viv

Comment

• [QUOTE=jimornot?;80244]Hi all

- sorry we had that one - so how about (Sir) Vivian Fuchs explorer

all the best, always

Viv

Comment

• Originally posted by jimornot? View Post
                              Hi all

Thanks for missing me!

I definitely was not with Vic on a holiday! For varying reasons had cause to reflect on the strength of family bonds and I am full of admiration for the way James hanratty's father fought his case with such dedication. I can only imagine the hurt the family experienced - irrespective of his guilt or otherwise - especially believing so strongly in his innocence. Add to that the tragedy for the Gregsten family and as has been commented before, the need for us to be very mindful of all those affected in this tragic case.

Different sex - Viv Nichoson (spend spend spend)
                              Vivienne Neve - page 3 model
                              Vivien Leigh (actress)

and apparently the lady of the lake was called Vivien

all the best, always

this Viv
                              Hi Viv

It's good to see you back posting.

Another famous Viv was the animal rights campaigner Viv E. Seckshin.

You mentioned pools winner Viv Nicholson. Interestingly enough the Saturday afternoon that her draws came up, September 23rd 1961, was when Peter Alphon was lining up for his first two identity parades. Seems like it was his lucky day too.
                              She won £152,000 which a few web articles stated was the equivalent to five million quid at 2005 prices.

This would mean that Peter Alphon's unaccounted for £5,000 would equate to about £167,000 at 2005 prices ( and probably not far short of £200,000 in today's market ). A small fortune indeed. Wonder who is benefactor could have been ?

What was it Ewer saying about the lady of the lake ?

regards,
                              James

Viv Nicholson was a housewife and a factory-worker who became famous when she won the pools.
                              Last edited by jimarilyn; 04-13-2009, 07:39 PM. Reason: To add a couple of links

Comment

• [QUOTE=jimarilyn;80290]Hi Viv

It's good to see you back posting.

Another famous Viv was the animal rights campaigner Viv E. Seckshin.

You mentioned pools winner Viv Nicholson. Interestingly enough the Saturday afternoon that her draws came up, September 23rd 1961, was when Peter Alphon was lining up for his first two identity parades. Seems like it was his lucky day too.
                                She won £152,000 which a few web articles stated was the equivalent to five million quid at 2005 prices.

This would mean that Peter Alphon's unaccounted for £5,000 would equate to about £167,000 at 2005 prices ( and probably not far short of £200,000 in today's market ). A small fortune indeed. Wonder who is benefactor could have been ?

What was it Ewer saying about the lady of the lake ?

regards,
                                James

thanks James - I think Viv Nicholson is still alive - fascinating info as usual

as regards Alphon's money that has never been satisfactorily explained - I certainly don't accept as was posted before that he may have won it in the horses.

Shame there has been no more info on Alphon's demise. I emailed Richard Ingrams at the link on his Oldie blog but no response at all. (http://www.theoldie.co.uk)

Incdentally, I understand that there is a Valerie Storie who is chair of a family history organisation around the Slough area. Would make sense that it is the same lady as she was a researcher at the time of the murder. I remember Steve posted a picture of her some time ago and she looked to be very relaxed.

All the best James

Viv

PS Do you think Liverpool will get through on Wednesday and how about the Premiership?

Comment

Working...
                                X