This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all
    The popularity of this thread stems from the many inconsistences that exist in the evidence that has been produced thus far and the verdict returned in 1962, which most people here says was cruel.

I believe that Hanratty was not involved in any way in the A6 murder. Some agree with me, some don't.

I am totally convinced by the sweetshop and Rhyl Alibi's. Hanratty may have changed his alibi in the first week of the trial at Bedford Assizes but it still included the sweetshop which is irrefutable however you want to look at it.
    Identification evidence is probably the most unreliable evidence that can be placed before a court of law. Strict, empirical, third party verifiable evidence is ideal. This empiricism includes though, I believe, identification evidence, when the weight of all the validations is taken into account rather than on a per seat basis (which any idiot could destroy).

Against Hanratty, on all the evidence known today, there is no third party validation at all in any part of it. In fact no evidence exists at all to truly implicate Hanratty. The handkerchief was Hanratty's as he himself admitted in court. But he could not have put it, the gun and the live ammunition on the 36A bus because he was in Liverpool at the time.
    The cartridge cases found at the Vienna did not have any incriminating evidence against Hanratty on them, bar the fact that they were found in a hotel room in which he had stayed some weeks earlier.

For Hanratty, applying the same rules, his alibi was supported by third party validation. Mrs Dinwoodie says a man like Hanratty asked for directions to thoroughfares in Liverpool just as Hanratty had described. 11 witnesses in Rhyl, at the right time and place validate what Hanratty said.

Back to the Court of Appeal in 2002. The only evidence put forward by the crown this time was DNA. No prosecution evidence at all to refute the Rhyl alibi.
    The DNA evidence apparently shows that for Hanratty to not have been the killer and therefore the rapist was fairly large against in gaming parlance.
    This too, is not empirical because the technique used, LCN/LT, cannot be verified by a third party. This is because of the ambivilance with regard to which RFU level allele peaks are counted. Mixed profiles are also a routine problem. As Professor Allan Jamieson so succinctly put it...If a number of people emptied their loose change out onto a table how would a third party know which coins belonged to which person... It is the same with sensitive DNA analysis techniques that involve many PCR cycles and incorporate the DNA from more than 1 person, as is the norm with sensitive techniques.

So, in conclusion.

I find it hard to understand that some people here cannot see that Hanratty is innocent. Graham for instance requires some hard nosed piece of evidence that proves Hanratty didn't do it. Others like Vic and Caz seem to think that because the semen stains on the remaining fragment belong to only the killer and that the DNA evidence says it is Hanratty, therefore if it wasn't Hanratty where has the rapists DNA gone?

I argue that in Grahams case we will never find that one irrefutable piece of evidence (like a signature in a guesthouse register). One can only go on the basis of weight of probability coupled with reasonable doubt. With what we all know now that probability falls favourably on Hanratty's side.

I also argue that with regard to the DNA evidence in 2002 it was a pure guess as far as Hanratty's profile being extracted. Victor, and others have tried to argue that only 3 profiles were found, as per the ruling judgement but this does not equate at all with the technique used as described above (with the coin analogy). God only knows how many persons DNA was on the knicker fragment and how much had actually degraded to the point of undetectability (certainly anything to do with Hanratty according to the 1995 tests).

I have spoken personally, on the telephone, with Prof Jamieson and he assures me that LCN was used and he also supplied me with some very interesting papers he had produced and a pointer to a pertinent case he had had a active part in, the Templeton Woods murders. We spoke for about a half hour, he seems like a very nice man, down to earth with a good sense of humour.
    The papers he supplied me are copyrighted, that is why I have not reproduced any of them here or in any other place. If you would like more info on forensic DNA testing then just email the Forensic Institute in Glasgow and I am sure that they will gladly send it to you. URL for contacts is found @:

Finally, and certainly not least, great credit must go to Tony for pretty much keeping this thread going recently. He doesn't need the DNA evidence to think Hanratty is guilty or innocent because he believes, and has argued cogently, that Hanratty was in Liverpool and then Rhyl. It is not easy to fight a corner that looks like a loser from the outside. Well done my friend.

Kind regards to all
    Reg

Comment

• Originally posted by reg1965 View Post
      Hi all
      The popularity of this thread stems from the many inconsistences that exist in the evidence that has been produced thus far and the verdict returned in 1962, which most people here says was cruel.

I believe that Hanratty was not involved in any way in the A6 murder. Some agree with me, some don't.

I am totally convinced by the sweetshop and Rhyl Alibi's. Hanratty may have changed his alibi in the first week of the trial at Bedford Assizes but it still included the sweetshop which is irrefutable however you want to look at it.
      Identification evidence is probably the most unreliable evidence that can be placed before a court of law. Strict, empirical, third party verifiable evidence is ideal. This empiricism includes though, I believe, identification evidence, when the weight of all the validations is taken into account rather than on a per seat basis (which any idiot could destroy).

Against Hanratty, on all the evidence known today, there is no third party validation at all in any part of it. In fact no evidence exists at all to truly implicate Hanratty. The handkerchief was Hanratty's as he himself admitted in court. But he could not have put it, the gun and the live ammunition on the 36A bus because he was in Liverpool at the time.
      The cartridge cases found at the Vienna did not have any incriminating evidence against Hanratty on them, bar the fact that they were found in a hotel room in which he had stayed some weeks earlier.

For Hanratty, applying the same rules, his alibi was supported by third party validation. Mrs Dinwoodie says a man like Hanratty asked for directions to thoroughfares in Liverpool just as Hanratty had described. 11 witnesses in Rhyl, at the right time and place validate what Hanratty said.

Back to the Court of Appeal in 2002. The only evidence put forward by the crown this time was DNA. No prosecution evidence at all to refute the Rhyl alibi.
      The DNA evidence apparently shows that for Hanratty to not have been the killer and therefore the rapist was fairly large against in gaming parlance.
      This too, is not empirical because the technique used, LCN/LT, cannot be verified by a third party. This is because of the ambivilance with regard to which RFU level allele peaks are counted. Mixed profiles are also a routine problem. As Professor Allan Jamieson so succinctly put it...If a number of people emptied their loose change out onto a table how would a third party know which coins belonged to which person... It is the same with sensitive DNA analysis techniques that involve many PCR cycles and incorporate the DNA from more than 1 person, as is the norm with sensitive techniques.

So, in conclusion.

I find it hard to understand that some people here cannot see that Hanratty is innocent. Graham for instance requires some hard nosed piece of evidence that proves Hanratty didn't do it. Others like Vic and Caz seem to think that because the semen stains on the remaining fragment belong to only the killer and that the DNA evidence says it is Hanratty, therefore if it wasn't Hanratty where has the rapists DNA gone?

I argue that in Grahams case we will never find that one irrefutable piece of evidence (like a signature in a guesthouse register). One can only go on the basis of weight of probability coupled with reasonable doubt. With what we all know now that probability falls favourably on Hanratty's side.

I also argue that with regard to the DNA evidence in 2002 it was a pure guess as far as Hanratty's profile being extracted. Victor, and others have tried to argue that only 3 profiles were found, as per the ruling judgement but this does not equate at all with the technique used as described above (with the coin analogy). God only knows how many persons DNA was on the knicker fragment and how much had actually degraded to the point of undetectability (certainly anything to do with Hanratty according to the 1995 tests).

I have spoken personally, on the telephone, with Prof Jamieson and he assures me that LCN was used and he also supplied me with some very interesting papers he had produced and a pointer to a pertinent case he had had a active part in, the Templeton Woods murders. We spoke for about a half hour, he seems like a very nice man, down to earth with a good sense of humour.
      The papers he supplied me are copyrighted, that is why I have not reproduced any of them here or in any other place. If you would like more info on forensic DNA testing then just email the Forensic Institute in Glasgow and I am sure that they will gladly send it to you. URL for contacts is found @:

Finally, and certainly not least, great credit must go to Tony for pretty much keeping this thread going recently. He doesn't need the DNA evidence to think Hanratty is guilty or innocent because he believes, and has argued cogently, that Hanratty was in Liverpool and then Rhyl. It is not easy to fight a corner that looks like a loser from the outside. Well done my friend.

Kind regards to all
      Reg
      Good Morning All,

Yes Jimarilyn it was Wednesday on Tuesday but it was Plymouth not Sheffield.

Thank you to my adversary Victor wishing me to have a good night. I didn’t.

And thanks Reg for the very kind words within that fascinating post. My chest swelled with pride and my eyes filled with tears. Now where did I put that dictionary?

Tony.

Comment

• Morning Tony,

My commiserations to you. I know exactly how you feel after your team loses a home match. Although it was a League Cup match I was gutted a couple of seasons ago when the Gunner's hammered us ( or was it the Hammers gunning us ) 6-3 at Anfield. It can affect your mood for a couple of days depending how passionate you are about your team. Now I'm a great admirer of the often beautiful football Arsenal serve up but conceding 6 at home...well I never thought I'd ever see the day.

If James Hanratty were alive today he'd be more than a little depressed to see Spurs at the foot of the table. After their win on Sunday I'm sure they'll start climbing the table (hopefully while United, Chelsea and Arsenal are going the other way........wishful thinking I know).

Did you locate your dictionary by the way ?

regards,
        James

PS. Does anyone have any idea why the times on this board are three hours ahead ? I've been totally baffled for ages about this.
        Last edited by jimarilyn; 10-29-2008, 01:28 PM.

Comment

• Dear Reg and All,

Interesting summing-up on your post 2491.

I'm afraid I am still sitting on the fence but I do believe in the Dinwoodie alibi. Therefore I feel the mish-mash Ryhl evidence is not so important because I don't think JH could possibly get to Dorney in time from Liverpool.

I seem to recall after the 2002 enquiry the Home Secretary making a comment such as, "making a safe conviction safer". How, I wonder, could the first conviction be safe?

Some of us are getting around to question the DNA and suggesting it is far too inaccurate. If the DNA is wrong then we are all back to square 1.

As a last thought, was there any corroborated evidence at all that JH took the train to Liverpool on the Tuesday morning?

Regards,

Alan

Comment

Hi Reg,
            The problem I have with the above is that Mrs Dinwoodie's evidence is identification evidence - she identifies the man that came into the sweetshop with Hanratty.

And that's just the start, all of the other alibi witnesses are identification witnesses and have to be taken in isolation unless the witnesses also identify eachother and their accounts overlap.

There is just no logical reason to group Mrs Dinwoodie (in Liverpool) with any of the Rhyl witnesses because they are witnesses to separate events. I do agree that the more reliable, verifiable witnesses you can get the more likely the alibi is to be true as a general rule.

Which conveniently ignores the identification evidence of the victim!

The only new evidence put forward by the crown...

Definitely, until someone can account for the "missing" rapists DNA I will continue to agree with the courts, Hanratty was a rapist and murderer.

Well now I'm not so sure, I beginning to think that they found only 2 profiles both derived from semen, and that technique removes all the partially degraded DNA and leaves only the DNA inside the sperm heads, therefore any contamination that isn't sperm is eliminated.

Kind regards to all
            Reg
            Well I agree that Tony is reasonable, sensible, cogniscent and a joy to debate with. He doesn't get heated or selectively quote from posts supporting Hanratty with redundant and innaccurate comments like "Excellent post" as some do.

KR,
            Vic
            Truth is female, since truth is beauty rather than handsomeness; this [...] would certainly explain the saying that a lie could run around the world before Truth has got its, correction, her boots on, since she would have to chose which pair - the idea that any woman in a position to choose would have just one pair of boots being beyond rational belief.
            Unseen Academicals - Terry Pratchett.

Comment

• Originally posted by alan View Post
              As a last thought, was there any corroborated evidence at all that JH took the train to Liverpool on the Tuesday morning?

Hi Alan,

A young actor by the name of Michael da Costa claimed he saw Hanratty or someone remarkably like him on a London to Liverpool train on 22nd August. Da Costa remembered him because of Hanratty's dyed-black hair which must have grabbed his attention. In 1961 it was very unusual (unlike today) for young men to dye their hair.

regards,
              James

Comment

• Originally posted by alan View Post
                I seem to recall after the 2002 enquiry the Home Secretary making a comment such as, "making a safe conviction safer". How, I wonder, could the first conviction be safe?
                Hi Alan,

I completely agree that I don't think the original conviction was "safe", but if you think that Hanratty was found guilty by a jury and that 10 of those 12 people thought he'd done it, then I can see how some would describe that as "safe".

The other interpretation is that the DNA evidence proves he did it, therefore the original trial came to the correct verdict so it was "safe".

Personally I think it's self-congratulatory trumpet-blowing (or former-holder-of-the-post-congratulatory for the pedantic). "We got it right, ner-ner-ner-ner-ner!"

KR,
                Vic.
                Truth is female, since truth is beauty rather than handsomeness; this [...] would certainly explain the saying that a lie could run around the world before Truth has got its, correction, her boots on, since she would have to chose which pair - the idea that any woman in a position to choose would have just one pair of boots being beyond rational belief.

Comment

• Dear James and Vic,

Thank you both for interesting information and opinion.

Alan

Comment

• Originally posted by Victor View Post
                    Hi Alan,

I completely agree that I don't think the original conviction was "safe", but if you think that Hanratty was found guilty by a jury and that 10 of those 12 people thought he'd done it, then I can see how some would describe that as "safe".

The other interpretation is that the DNA evidence proves he did it, therefore the original trial came to the correct verdict so it was "safe".

Personally I think it's self-congratulatory trumpet-blowing (or former-holder-of-the-post-congratulatory for the pedantic). "We got it right, ner-ner-ner-ner-ner!"

KR,
                    Vic.
                    Hello for the first time today Vic,

The A6 trial jury consisted of only 11 men; one felt a bit funny at the mention of blood early in the trial and had to go home to his Mum.

Notwithstanding that what do you mean 10 of those 12 people thought he’d done it?
                    I might be out of line here, and I know you will correct me, but in a trial for first degree murder, which this case was, and which could result in capital punishment being carried out it is my understanding that the Judge could only accept a unanimous verdict. I am under the impression majority verdicts are for prison sentences only.

At no time did Judge Gorman say to the jury: “Hey lads you’ve been out a long time I will accept a majority verdict if it helps you out.”

Prison sentences for life can be given out nowadays for majority verdicts.

Tony.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tony View Post
                      Hello for the first time today Vic,

The A6 trial jury consisted of only 11 men; one felt a bit funny at the mention of blood early in the trial and had to go home to his Mum.

Notwithstanding that what do you mean 10 of those 12 people thought he’d done it?
                      I might be out of line here, and I know you will correct me, but in a trial for first degree murder, which this case was, and which could result in capital punishment being carried out it is my understanding that the Judge could only accept a unanimous verdict. I am under the impression majority verdicts are for prison sentences only.

At no time did Judge Gorman say to the jury: “Hey lads you’ve been out a long time I will accept a majority verdict if it helps you out.”

Prison sentences for life can be given out nowadays for majority verdicts.

Tony.
                      Hi Tony,

I'm at work so writing from memory and my books are all packed away so I can't even check when I get back home, so sorry if some of the specific details are a bit out, but you get the general idea, he was found guilty at the original trial so all (or the majority) of the jury thought he'd done it.

KR,
                      Vic.

Comment

Hi PC49,

Really? Hanratty, a known crook who spent large amounts of time in various jails building up an array of contacts. He admitted to knowing fences in London, Liverpool and Rhyl, amongst others. Quite a criminal network there for the ole "honour amongst thieves" to easily secure a simple alibi that has so much detail that I managed to sum it up in one sentence.

I don't doubt that you could more easily find a scouser in London than a cockney in Liverpool, but they're not that rare especially when you've got a network like Hanratty's.

KR,
                        Vic.

ps Have a great night Tony!
                        Sorry Victor,and if you'll pardon the pun, I just don't buy it!
                        The suggestion is quite unbelievable - you aren't Lenny Miller's doppelganger are you?
                        Best regards.

Comment

Hi all

So, in conclusion.

Kind regards to all
                          Reg
                          Congratulations Reg, on a brilliant synopsis of the subject.
                          Your arguments are far more cogent and believable than those put forward by the "Hanratty was guilty" brigade.
                          Though it would appear that nothing will ever sway them from their views!
                          All the best.

Comment

Hi Tony,

I'm at work so writing from memory and my books are all packed away so I can't even check when I get back home, so sorry if some of the specific details are a bit out, but you get the general idea, he was found guilty at the original trial so all (or the majority) of the jury thought he'd done it.

KR,
                            Vic.
                            Hi Vic,

Don’t envy you one little bit; been there, done that, don’t like it.

Well you don’t need to check there were only eleven jurors and they were not offered a majority verdict option.
                            They must have been unanimous; they had to be.

This thread has opened up, for me at any rate, an insight into what may have occurred in the jury room.
                            If you like we are all back in the jury room today; some arguing for innocent some for guilty. I have never served on a jury so I have no first hand experience to call on. But I suspect jurors are called up at random from the electoral roll and there is no aptitude or intelligence test for them to take. They might be very street wise or completely unworldly. Some may have read books on miscarriages of justice; others will support the police 100%. There will be some strong characters and there are bound to be as many weak characters and as with all things the strong will get their way.
                            Can you imagine a weak, nervous type of chap, juror 1, sitting alongside juror 2 who just happens to be Johnl or Reg or dare I say it your good self? They could well take the approach: “Well if he says its Saturday then it is Saturday. If he says guilty I’m OK with that if he says innocent I’m OK with that too.”

There must have been some serious debate going on in that jury room to take so long to arrive at a unanimous verdict and the very fact that after many hours they came back out to ask the judge to define reasonable doubt must have meant at least one of them was having doubts. Let’s just say it was 9-2 for guilty and the 2 dissenters were up against a very strong character, perhaps a bully how long would they last before they caved in? And maybe, just maybe the 9-2 was the very first vote and after prolonged discussions the majority of the 9 were thinking about changing their minds but had seen the treatment the other 2 had got from the bully so decided to stick with him.
                            All speculation I know but just maybe.

By the way nowadays the judge can send a man down for life on a majority of 10-2 which means that about 16% thought not guilty. To me that’s a reasonable doubt for the court and the judge.

Good luck with the weekend.

Tony.

Comment

• Originally posted by PC49 View Post
                              Congratulations Reg, on a brilliant synopsis of the subject.
                              Your arguments are far more cogent and believable than those put forward by the "Hanratty was guilty" brigade.
                              Though it would appear that nothing will ever sway them from their views!
                              All the best.
                              Some evidence as strong as the DNA evidence implicating Hanratty would work.

A confession including explaining how Hanratty's semen got on Storie's knickers and how the rapists' semen was removed, and how they did it in a time before DNA analysis to this degree was known about.

So if you don't think Hanratty did it, who do you think did?

KR,
                              Vic.

Comment

• Dear PC49, (or should I say Archibald Berkeley Willoughby)

I too think that Reg's synopsis is brilliant. He has fixed views and backs them up. I am a little more sceptical like somewhere between the hot and cold tap.

Have you read the details of the appeal? That gives some interesting information too. It's a bit of a flog but you can find the website address on Thread 1512. Whether it helps us sceptics or not is debatable.

Regards,

Alan

Comment

Working...
                                X