• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tony View Post
    Phew,

I think I got away with that one.

Tony
    Yes, but .. don't mention the war, Fawlty!!

Comment

• Jimbow

Jimbow
      Yes, very good, I like it!

Regards johnl

Comment

• Dna??????

Gentlemen,

Once again can we cool it? It’s a bit over the top again.
        I for one haven’t got a bloody clue what you are both going on about anyway.
        DNA is a mystery to virtually everyone. I remember in the late 80’s Colin Pitchfork being arrested for the murder of two teenage girls when the police had already had someone else in custody for a year. The scientist said the prisoner was innocent and Pitchfork was guilty. He was convicted solely on DNA evidence. But if you ask me to explain how I still haven’t got a bloody clue.
        I am 100% sure his conviction was right but I still have doubts about our case. I don’t know why.
        Reg and johnl you have both put some great posts on here and I for one hope you both continue to do so.
        Why don’t we leave the DNA for a couple of weeks?

Oh God. I’m dreading a beating from johnl. Perhaps I can send you a couple of pounds for a drink before you tear me to pieces johnl?

Tony.

Comment

That makes three of us Tony. 7 across is a good clue though.
          Perhaps you can send the two quid to Pierre Alphonse so he can buy himself a pint of Guiness for his 78th birthday tomorrow. Shall we all go around to his with a bottle ?

Comment

• Odds And Ends

Hi Folks

Weren't the loose bullets wrapped in the handkerchief to prevent them rattling around?

In their judgement, did the appeal judges say that the DNA evidence made a strong case even stronger?

Peter.

Comment

• Originally posted by P.L.A View Post
              Hi Folks

Weren't the loose bullets wrapped in the handkerchief to prevent them rattling around?

In their judgement, did the appeal judges say that the DNA evidence made a strong case even stronger?

Peter.
              Nice to hear from you again, Mr A!

A few bullets were wrapped with the hankie, but these were in addition to the 5 boxes of bullets also found with the gun. Safe bet that JH used his hankie to wipe the gun and bullets clean of prints, and left the hankie behind as well.

I guess that in 1961 the only forensic evidence available from snot would be the blood-group of the, er, owner?

Cheers,

Graham
              We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Yes, the purpose of leaving the handkerchief was to wrap the loose bullets in order to prevent them rattling round.

Got a feeling that in 1961, it wasn't possible to determine blood group from nasal fluids.

Doesn't the fact that no DNA was found on any part of the handkerchief that we know must have been handled, suggest that DNA transferred this way will have decayed after forty years?

Peter

Comment

• Originally posted by P.L.A View Post
                  Yes, the purpose of leaving the handkerchief was to wrap the loose bullets in order to prevent them rattling round.

Got a feeling that in 1961, it wasn't possible to determine blood group from nasal fluids.

Doesn't the fact that no DNA was found on any part of the handkerchief that we know must have been handled, suggest that DNA transferred this way will have decayed after forty years?

Peter
                  Does DNA ever decay under 'normal' conditions of storage?? Anyone know?

Graham
                  We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham View Post
                    I guess that in 1961 the only forensic evidence available from snot would be the blood-group of the, er, owner?
                    If it's not snot it must be mucus. I wonder how many more of JH's soiled hankies Charlotte forgot to put in the washing load ?

Comment

• Originally posted by jimarilyn View Post
                      If it's not snot it must be mucus. I wonder how many more of JH's soiled hankies Charlotte forgot to put in the washing load ?
                      And JH would doubtless have wanted them ironed to a perfect three-pointer for his top pocket...

Graham

Comment

• Tony

Originally posted by Tony View Post
                        Gentlemen,

Once again can we cool it? It’s a bit over the top again.
                        DNA is a mystery to virtually everyone. I remember in the late 80’s Colin Pitchfork being arrested for the murder of two teenage girls when the police had already had someone else in custody for a year. The scientist said the prisoner was innocent and Pitchfork was guilty. He was convicted solely on DNA evidence. But if you ask me to explain how I still haven’t got a bloody clue.
                        I am 100% sure his conviction was right but I still have doubts about our case. I don’t know why.
                        Reg and johnl you have both put some great posts on here and I for one hope you both continue to do so.
                        Why don’t we leave the DNA for a couple of weeks?

Oh God. I’m dreading a beating from johnl. Perhaps I can send you a couple of pounds for a drink before you tear me to pieces johnl?

Tony.
                        It's always a pleasure to read your posts!
                        As far as I am concerned the DNA evidence has been fully dealt with and put to bed. I will not be returning to it unless somebody else posts rubbish about it.
                        Remember Reg, I'm watching you !

All the best

johnl

Comment

• An honorable draw. well let's hope so.

Originally posted by johnl View Post
                          It's always a pleasure to read your posts!
                          As far as I am concerned the DNA evidence has been fully dealt with and put to bed. I will not be returning to it unless somebody else posts rubbish about it.
                          Remember Reg, I'm watching you !

All the best

johnl

Thanks for that johnl. Can we all say it’s been a draw but you can both, in private, claim a points victory for yourselves?
                          I’m sure you’re both nice blokes and stress like this will do neither of you any good.
                          I think it’s starting to affect me. Pass the beta blockers please doctor.

Tony

Comment

And JH would doubtless have wanted them ironed to a perfect three-pointer for his top pocket...

Graham
                            Graham,

I see you are on line at the moment.

Any news on the door locking mechanism of the same type and year of car as MG’s

Tony.

Comment

Graham,

I see you are on line at the moment.

Any news on the door locking mechanism of the same type and year of car as MG’s

Tony.
                              Hiya!

Blimey - but I can see where you're coming from. I had a 1953 Minor Splittie 2-door saloon, whereas MG's was a 4-door 1956 model if I remember aright. In all honesty I can't recall how the door-locks worked on mine, as it went to the Great Scrapyard 40-odd years ago. The bloke to ask is Larue, who I believe is a Moggie Minor enthusiast.

(Thinking about it, most cars in those days had a 'normal' handle to open and close the door, which was locked via a peg sticking up from the window-sill. You pushed the peg down to lock the door from inside)

Cheers,

Graham

Comment

Hiya!

Blimey - but I can see where you're coming from. I had a 1953 Minor Splittie 2-door saloon, whereas MG's was a 4-door 1956 model if I remember aright. In all honesty I can't recall how the door-locks worked on mine, as it went to the Great Scrapyard 40-odd years ago. The bloke to ask is Larue, who I believe is a Moggie Minor enthusiast.

(Thinking about it, most cars in those days had a 'normal' handle to open and close the door, which was locked via a peg sticking up from the window-sill. You pushed the peg down to lock the door from inside)

Cheers,

Graham
                                Hello Graham,

There must have been a way of locking the doors from the inside because I doubt if all four doors would have key locks on the outside handles. Of course the driver’s door would have that system. I would imagine the driver, if he was on his own, would reach behind him to lock the back doors, then reach across to lock the passenger door and the get out and lock the driver’s door from outside.

What I’m really getting at is could you sit in the car and lock all four doors from the inside? Obviously I am not referring to central locking which came in decades later.

Tony.

Comment

Working...
                                X