No announcement yet.

West Memphis Three

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think they took the Alford plea because they wanted to be free immediately, and it allowed for that. They were probably very tired of not knowing what was going to happen to them, and the Alford offered finality. Echols had been on death row for 18 years, where he was never even touched by another person, and he had very little daylight, so he had problems with vitamin D deficiency, and vision problems from being in a restricted area for so many hours a day. That's based on general studies of long-term death row inmates, not on Echols specifically, although his wife commented that he was having "vitamin deficiency and vision problems" in West of Memphis. In the face of that, preserving the right to vote, something Echols had never done anyway, and other rights denied to convicted felons, probably didn't seem terribly important. Owning property is another thing that is denied felons in some jurisdiction, but for people who grew up in trailer parks, that may be so far out of their experience, losing that right may not be a big deal either. Misskelley's intellectual deficiencies are probably such that he never gave a thought to things like voting.

Jason Baldwin was probably the only one thoughtful enough to care about the rights he was losing, and not on death row, so not feeling the descending pendulum, and therefore, he was the one who balked at the Alford plea. But the deal was for all three, or none, and so Baldwin went along. It did, after all, mean immediate freedom, as opposed to remand to prison while waiting for a new trial (they'd never get bail). The new trial would probably have a lengthy prep time, since they waived their right to a speedy trial the first time, and that might have stood, and all in all, even if they won at a new trial, they might have spent a couple more years in prison, and the whole time, not knowing if it would ever end-- they might lose, after all. Not to mention the difficulty of finding an impartial jury, but they wouldn't want a bench trial, either.

I can see them just wanting it to be over.

Comment

Originally posted by RivkahChaya View Post
      I think they took the Alford plea because they wanted to be free immediately, and it allowed for that. They were probably very tired of not knowing what was going to happen to them, and the Alford offered finality. Echols had been on death row for 18 years, where he was never even touched by another person, and he had very little daylight, so he had problems with vitamin D deficiency, and vision problems from being in a restricted area for so many hours a day. That's based on general studies of long-term death row inmates, not on Echols specifically, although his wife commented that he was having "vitamin deficiency and vision problems" in West of Memphis. In the face of that, preserving the right to vote, something Echols had never done anyway, and other rights denied to convicted felons, probably didn't seem terribly important. Owning property is another thing that is denied felons in some jurisdiction, but for people who grew up in trailer parks, that may be so far out of their experience, losing that right may not be a big deal either. Misskelley's intellectual deficiencies are probably such that he never gave a thought to things like voting.

Jason Baldwin was probably the only one thoughtful enough to care about the rights he was losing, and not on death row, so not feeling the descending pendulum, and therefore, he was the one who balked at the Alford plea. But the deal was for all three, or none, and so Baldwin went along. It did, after all, mean immediate freedom, as opposed to remand to prison while waiting for a new trial (they'd never get bail). The new trial would probably have a lengthy prep time, since they waived their right to a speedy trial the first time, and that might have stood, and all in all, even if they won at a new trial, they might have spent a couple more years in prison, and the whole time, not knowing if it would ever end-- they might lose, after all. Not to mention the difficulty of finding an impartial jury, but they wouldn't want a bench trial, either.

I can see them just wanting it to be over.
      I generally agree. I think they probably did the crime, but having spent so long behind bars I cant entirely blame them for wanting free very quickly. Having not spent 18 years behind bars it's hard for any of us to put ourselves in that position.

Comment

Even if they didn't do it, I can still understand it.

Comment

I know zip about the West Memphis Three Case, but I do know that Mississippi Fred McDowel sang,

"Some folk say that the Greyhound bus don't run.
          "Yeh, some folk say that that old Greyhound bus don't run.
          "But jus' go down to West Memphis, baby,
          "An' look along Highway 51".

You can't argue with that.

Graham
          We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

I've been interested in this case for almost 20 years.

I love the first Paradise Lost documentary. If you haven't seen it, you should. There is no dramatization. A documentary team stumbled in the area and decided to shoot the documentary. It's a rare case of "what you see actually happened".

I don't have a solid opinion. But god did the police botched this one.
            Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
            - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
              I find it funny that everyone wants to pint to Hobbs ,3 years ago there was that "story" that new evidence and witness were found proving his guilt.. yet.. nothing came of that.. so much for evidence... Look, I think Hobbs is a creep (or I should say appears to be one.. I have never met the man so I can not be sure)...
              Like I said before, I was one of the Free the WM3 folks for a long time..but if you just look at the facts, so much points to them as being guilty, of course I can't be sure of that, only they know for sure, But like RivkahChaya put on the first post, sites like http://www.westmemphisthreefacts.com/ and http://wm3truth.com/ will show documents and evidence you won’t find in any of the documentaries and will even point out errors in those films...granted just as documentaries are one sided.. web sites are as well... so again, judge for yourself.. but after many years of research ( and no not just watching movies and reading the web) my mind points towards guilt....and them accepting the plea clinched it for me....and I know some will say " they had to accept the plea".. well.. no they really did not "have" too.. Jason Baldwin did not want to and was talked into it...because I am sure he was told, yeah we will probably get another trial but chances are you will be found guilty there as well....better take the plea.. again that is just my opinion

Steadmund Brand
              One of them was on death row, that is why they took that plea.

Comment

Working...
              X