The Death Penalty in Ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Death Penalty in Ireland

The recent ITV documentary "Executed" pointed out that the death penalty remained in force in Northern Ireland until 1973, after it's abolition in the rest of the United Kingdom in 1965. The programme included an interview with the last man sentenced to death in Northern Ireland immediately prior to the abolition of hanging there in 1973, and we were shown the interior of the condemned cell and execution chamber in Crumlin Road Gaol in Belfast, which have been preserved.

I assume that if the last execution in the United Kingdom had indeed been carried out in Belfast in 1973, either Harry Allen or Leslie Stewart, the last two official British hangmen, would have officiated.

The death penalty remained in force in the Republic of Ireland for certain categories of murder until the 1980s, including the murder of an officer of the Garda Siochana. In 1976 Noel and Marie Murray were sentenced to death by the Special Criminal Court in Dublin for murder of an off-duty Garda during a robbery, although the death sentences were later commuted to life imprisonment.

I remember reading that at the time there was a real possibility that the death sentences might have been carried out on the Murrays. I presume that these would have taken place at Mountjoy Gaol. Does anyone know whether the gallows was still operational there at the time? This would certainly be required if the death sentence could still be enforced by law.

Also, where would an executioner have been found? The Republic of Ireland never had a hangman of its own in the twentieth century but had always used one of the British executioners such as Albert Pierrepoint. If it seemed likely that the Murrays would indeed hang might the Irish authorities have contacted their counterparts in the UK in 1976 to ascertain whether Allen or Stewart might still be able and willing to provide their services? I believe that several other death sentences were handed down by the Special Criminal Court after 1976 but that none of them were carried out.

Was there any real prospect that a death sentence might have been carried out in the Republic of Ireland in the 1970s and early 1980s, or was it more or less a formality with no real prospect of being enforced in much the same was as it was in the Isle of Man and Jersey at this time?

I would be interested to hear if any other contributors can add to this subject.

Hi Sherlock:

I remember when serial child killer Westley Allan Dodd was scheduled to be hanged in Washington State in 1993, there were no U.S. hangmen available since our last hanging execution had been 28 years earlier in 1965. At the time, I recall there was discussion about importing a hangman from South Africa to do the job, but it was finally decided to use an American who'd taken a crash course in the method to carry out the execution. The hanging was a success.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

"commuted to life imprisonment" - does this mean real life imprisonment, or just a few years?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
        "commuted to life imprisonment" - does this mean real life imprisonment, or just a few years?
        In general it means whatever "life" means in that jurisdiction at the time, in some locations that means until you die in others something else, it also changes in any given location from time to time.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I think that certainly in the Republic of Ireland and in the United Kingdom life imprisonment does not always mean imprisonment for the term of one's natural life, depending on the nature of the crime committed. There are some murderers in the UK serving life sentences who will certainly never be released, such as Peter Sutcliffe the Yorkshire Ripper, Dennis Nilsen and Ian Huntley the Soham murderer.

I believe that in the Republic of Ireland Noel and Marie Murray have now been released from prison.

Comment

You see, commuting a death sentence to real life imprisonment is one thing, but commuting it to non-life imprisonment seems a bit of a jump.

Comment

It's about time countries stopped describing non-life imprisonment as life imprisonment. It's like sentencing someone to be hanged.....until he's a bit breathless.

Comment

Can't offer any more relevant info on Sherlock's queries unfortunately, - but I can throw this into the mix, re GUT's point "it also changes in any given location from time to time" : persons of both political/religious sides in the NI conflict who were convicted and imprisoned for murder were released only a few years later under the Good Friday Agreement.
                Rightly or wrongly, the political climate (and the possible benefit to be gained) at any given time obviously plays a major part in sentence determination, both during and after the fact, as too would public opinion, of course.
                Perhaps the scales of justice balance more than just guilt or innocence?

Comment

Working...
                X