No announcement yet.

patterson gimlin film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There seem to be a lot of people sayting "we know this" and "we know that" about the Patterson film being faked, and about how there have been "confessions." I would just like to point out that one cannot really know anything for a fact in such cases based solely on what someone says, because it is an unfortunate part of the human condition that people tell lies, sometimes to an astonishing degree. Of course there are people who claim to know in intricate detail how Patterson faked his Bigfoot film. There are no doubt also people who claim to know how Elvis faked his death.

In fairness, I should turn this back on myself and admit that we cannot be sure of the "facts" given by Patterson and Gimlin either. For instance, their story includes them camping and exploring the area for several days before they had the Bigfoot encounter, unnecessary if they were just there to make a fake film. It also includes Gimlin, not Patterson, suggesting on Oct. 20th that they check out the area in which the filming occurred, making any scenario in which Patterson had costume-man lying in wait unknown to Gimlin impossible. And even if that scenario did somehow occur, Gimlin (who is still alive by the way and does not waver from the story) says he drew his rifle and pointed it at the Bigfoot, never putting it to his shoulder but just covering Patterson as he shot the film. Costume-man therefore would have been risking his life and could not have been sure that Gimlin's adrenaline wouldn't get the better of him. Any hoax scenario, it seems, would have had to have Gimlin in on it and yet his lack of any financial gain from it is well known. But as I said, the two mens' story cannot be considered fact as it is mostly unwitnessed by anyone else. Maybe the whole thing is made up. Maybe Gimlin did profit secretly. Maybe, maybe, maybe... I just think that the stories of any and all who say they know it's a hoax and the details thereof need to be given just as much scrutiny as Patterson and Gimlin themselves.

There have been no true "confessions." The only real confessions would be from Patterson or Gimlin fessing up. Patterson died a few years after the filming from Hodgkin's Disease never having done so, and Gimlin to this day makes occasional appearances at Bigfoot conferences and has never changed his story. Admittedly, Roger Patterson was a jack of all trades and master of none who had a personality that many might have seen as being capable of a hoax, not helped at all by the fact that he owed money on the camera rental and a warrant for his arrest was issued because of it (though that would seem to negate any idea of his being paid money for making the film). But I tend to see him as a kind of fly by night character who had one insanely lucky day.

By the way, it is a matter of record that in the immediate aftermath of the filming Patterson called a museum in British Columbia where he had contacts to try and have tracking dogs brought to the film site to pick up the creature's trail. This did not end up materalizing, but he could not have known that it would not. If he'd been staging a hoax, what more foolhardy a move could he have possibly made?

Comment

Why foolhardy? If it were a hoax having dogs failing to find a trail would do no harm to his story, because they would not prove a negative and would be taken by those willing to believe as a sign of good faith.

There is a determination by those who accept the film as genuine to also accept the whole story. Why would he need to camp around a few days? Why not? As far as we can tell from the available evidence the footage may have been in the can and clipped from his existing film. There is no reason to assume the fantastic version of events as inherently more honest than those claiming to have worn a suit, supplied a suit, etc. We have footage of the pseudo documentary and no reason to assume those involved in the production would lie their parts in the filming, supplying props or material.

But at the end of the day the burden of proof lays in the hands of those advocating the fantastic claim. If there is equal evidence for a mundane explanation the null is in place. Remarkable claims require remarkable evidence. Evidence that looks exactly like a film produced for the ANE film, clipped from that project, is going to seem more likely to fit the mundane explanation than the fantastic.
      There Will Be Trouble! http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Little-Tro...s=T.+E.+Hodden

Comment

Why foolhardy? If it were a hoax having dogs failing to find a trail would do no harm to his story, because they would not prove a negative and would be taken by those willing to believe as a sign of good faith.
        But what if the dog found him?
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
          But what if the dog found him?
          Found whom? Bigfoot of the actor who may have been filmed on a completely different day during the filming of the ANE project? If the clip were culled from the project we have no reason to believe it was filmed as and when described. We have good reason to believe it may not (as if I recall part of the PG film has been discovered in context in the surviving ANE film).
          There Will Be Trouble! http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Little-Tro...s=T.+E.+Hodden

Comment

For what it's worth- Two people examined the film site in the days after the filming when the creature's tracks were still to be seen. The first was Lyle Laverty who if memory serves was a forestry agent of some kind, who took some photos of the tracks. The second was Bob Titmus, a well known figure in Bigfoot lore. He was a taxidermist and expert animal tracker who lived in the area. Neither of these men found any red flags that pointed to a hoax, and Titmus spent considerable time at the site making plaster casts of the footprints and tracking the creature well into the forest away from the site. He even found a spot uphill from the site that appeared to show where the creature had sat down in some ferns, possibly watching Patterson and Gimlin down below.

Comment

A lot more detail can be seen on that film now thanks to computer technology it has breasts which move like breasts should there is a hernia on the thigh the detail is too good for a fake.Roger Patterson didn't need to have a suit that good in 1967 because the technology wasn't there to enhance the film then.Why go over 400 miles to film a hoax in the middle of nowhere when you live next to an area of bigfoot sightings?
              Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
                A lot more detail can be seen on that film now thanks to computer technology it has breasts which move like breasts should there is a hernia on the thigh the detail is too good for a fake.Roger Patterson didn't need to have a suit that good in 1967 because the technology wasn't there to enhance the film then.Why go over 400 miles to film a hoax in the middle of nowhere when you live next to an area of bigfoot sightings?
                Pinky said breasts !!!!!!!!
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Pinky said breasts !!!!!!!!
                  Breasts,breasts,breasts,breasts why give the creature knockers that move so well it makes no sense.
                  Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Yea no sense at all.

BVut you said breasts and that's like boobies.
                    G U T

Comment

Yea no sense at all.

BVut you said breasts and that's like boobies.
                      On a serious note gut where do you stand on this Patterson gimlin film.

Comment

Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
                        On a serious note gut where do you stand on this Patterson gimlin film.
                        Yes back on thread.

I really am not sure. I've probably watched it 5o times in the last week alone the one thing that really worries me is the way that bigfoot looks around at the camera and doesn't appear even slightly concerned by people being around when clearly [to my mind] he, or she, is cautious about being seen.

The creature also walks more like a human than any animal.

Having said all that if it is a fake it's a good one.
                        G U T

Comment

This video gives you a lot to think about

https://www.facebook.com/FindBigfootLeroy Blevins spends 1/6th of his adult lifetime creating a suit that is a replica of the Patterson Gimlin Bigfoot film. ...
                          G U T

Comment

Yes back on thread.

I really am not sure. I've probably watched it 5o times in the last week alone the one thing that really worries me is the way that bigfoot looks around at the camera and doesn't appear even slightly concerned by people being around when clearly [to my mind] he, or she, is cautious about being seen.

That was filmed in one take the original film wasn't edited the creature had the creek between it and Patterson no one had been able to match it's gait it might well walk a little like a human and a little like an ape because it's meant to be a cros
                            s of the two.The actual look back was how we know it has breasts and to me would be the thing to avoid in a hoax.Monkey costumes in the 1960s always fell down when the head mask joined the back this is before stretchable material was used in the 1980s most of the Patterson film is filmed from the back and if it is a suit we have an invisible join.Read Bill munns book "when roger met patty"it's on amazon bill munns spent nearly 50 years in the special effects business so I would recommend it.The munns report is available on a free download just Google it.
                            Last edited by pinkmoon; 08-05-2014, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Yes back on thread.

It's evident that the creature was concerned by people being around since it immediately started walking away when it saw them. Some have taken issue with the fact that it didn't run, but for whatever reason it didn't. It didn't see them until they came around a log jam in the creek, and it's been suggested that it either didn't hear them approaching over the sound of the creek or that it didn't equate the sound of hoofbeats with the presence of humans (the men were on horseback).

On the way it turned to look at the camera- Patterson himself said of that moment that it felt to him like when the umpire tells you, "One more step and you're out of the game!" He took it as a look of intimidation, the creature basically saying to him "I see you, and you better not come any closer."

And on the way it walks, an animal built like a Bigfoot would indeed walk more like a human than any animal. It's not a totally human walk though. The knees stay slightly bent all the time so there is no bobbing of the head.

Comment

G'day kensei

On the way it turned to look at the camera- Patterson himself said of that moment that it felt to him like when the umpire tells you, "One more step and you're out of the game!" He took it as a look of intimidation, the creature basically saying to him "I see you, and you better not come any closer.
                                But if it was a fake what else would he say>

And on the way it walks, an animal built like a Bigfoot would indeed walk more like a human than any animal. It's not a totally human walk though. The knees stay slightly bent all the time so there is no bobbing of the head.
                                I said earlier it walks a lot like me when my back's killing me, my goodness it's even built like me.
                                G U T

Comment

Working...
                                X