Senater Edward Kennedy and the Chappaquiddick event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senater Edward Kennedy and the Chappaquiddick event

What are peoples thoughts on this event , did Teddy Kennedy lie about his involement? and was Mary Jo Kopeckne the lone driver of the car she drowned in ?

[ Best you sit this out herlock, but feel free if you must]
    'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn't matter how smart you are . If it doesn't agree with experiment, its wrong'' . Richard Feynman

Everybody knows what happened. The only mystery is why he wasnt convicted of manslaughter.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
      Everybody knows what happened. The only mystery is why he wasnt convicted of manslaughter.
      I don't. My vague memory is that Kennedy and Kopeckne were in a car that crashed off a bridge. Kopeckne drowned, Kennedy escaped but failed to report the accident until the next day.

Am I even close?

Cheers, George
      They are not long, the days of wine and roses:
      Out of a misty dream
      Our path emerges for a while, then closes
      Within a dream.
      Ernest Dowson - Vitae Summa Brevis​

​Disagreeing doesn't have to be disagreeable - Jeff Hamm

Comment

Originally posted by GBinOz View Post

I don't. My vague memory is that Kennedy and Kopeckne were in a car that crashed off a bridge. Kopeckne drowned, Kennedy escaped but failed to report the accident until the next day.

Am I even close?

Cheers, George
        Well sort of George , Kopeckne was in the car alone ,she was the driver and she missied judged the bridge. kennedy only reported the accident afterwards when he heard about it , thats about it as far as an introduction goes, but there is a lot more too it . Putting it bluntly .... he was shagging her .
        'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn't matter how smart you are . If it doesn't agree with experiment, its wrong'' . Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by FISHY1118 View Post

Well sort of George , Kopeckne was in the car alone ,she was the driver and she missied judged the bridge. kennedy only reported the accident afterwards when he heard about it , thats about it as far as an introduction goes, but there is a lot more too it . Putting it bluntly .... he was shagging her .
          If Kopeckne was in the car alone, where was Kennedy? Do you have some evidence for your last statement, or is it conjecture?
          Out of a misty dream
          Within a dream.

Comment

Originally posted by GBinOz View Post

If Kopeckne was in the car alone, where was Kennedy? Do you have some evidence for your last statement, or is it conjecture?
            Hi George there a 4 part Documentary Series called ''Scandalous Chappaquiddick'' you should search it out and and watch it .

Comment

In July 1969, Sen. Ted Kennedy throws a party on the island of Chappaquiddick. The next morning, Kennedy's car and 28-year-old Mary Jo Kopechne's body are discovered submerged in water.

First episode trailer '' The Bridge'' 7 mins , i believe it was a fox news doco , i cant find the full 4 part series online maybe you can. cheers
              Last edited by FISHY1118; 02-21-2023, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FISHY1118 View Post

Putting it equally bluntly, if you don't believe Kennedy was in the car, he presumably failed to come up with a solid alibi, so do you think he was 'shagging' someone else at the time?

Love,

Caz
                X
                "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Teddy Kennedy got out of the car; she didn't. He could have raised the alarm; he didn't.
                  I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Spot on Abby. If I remember correctly didn’t Kennedy try to claim shock or memory loss as his excuse for not reporting it earlier? It’s hard to avoid thinking that if it had been some local guy instead of Kennedy he’d have spent a considerable time behind bars. I’ve read one book on the case but it was a long time ago. Kennedy admitted leaving the scene of the crime and got a 2 month suspended sentence. Did money talk?
                    Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 02-21-2023, 07:16 PM.
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Spot on Abby. If I remember correctly didn’t Kennedy try to claim shock or memory loss as his excuse for not reporting it earlier? It’s hard to avoid thinking that if it had been some local guy instead of Kennedy he’d have spent a considerable time behind bars. I’ve read one book on the case but it was a long time ago. Kennedy admitted leaving the scene of the crime and got a 2 month suspended sentence. Did money talk?
                      of course it did.

and just to be clear what happened. he was driving drunk and out hooking up with the young woman (hes married at this time)before he drove the car into the water. he had multiple times to raise the alarm that night but didnt and instead talked to lawyer friends about how to save his ass. he ended going back to his place and passing out before actually going to police in the morning, which by this time had already discovered the wreck and the dead girl inside.
                      Last edited by Abby Normal; 02-21-2023, 07:50 PM.

Comment

of course it did.

and just to be clear what happened. he was driving drunk and out hooking up with the young woman (hes married at this time)before he drove the car into the water. he had multiple times to raise the alarm that night but didnt and instead talked to lawyer friends about how to save his ass. he ended going back to his place and passing out before actually going to police in the morning, which by this time had already discovered the wreck and the dead girl inside.
                        Thanks Abby. So my memory is not completely defunct.
                        Out of a misty dream
                        Within a dream.

Comment

''Kennedy managed to escape, but Kopechne was still inside the car. He said he dove multiple times to rescue her but couldn’t. He walked back to the cottage, passing multiple houses—one of which would’ve had a light on—and summoned Paul Markham, a lawyer and adviser, and his cousin Joe Gargan. The three returned to the scene of the accident but failed to rescue Kopechne. Kennedy said he then swam back to Edgartown and walked to the Shiretown Inn, where he was staying. Kennedy put on dry clothes, then left his room and asked one of the inn’s owners for the time (it was around 2:30 a.m.) and complained about noise coming from a nearby party. He reportedly made 17 phone calls to friends and political aides between the time of the accident and when he finally reported it to police the following morning, 10 hours later.''

3 men spent 45 mins in 6 feet of water but couldnt rescue MJK !! , 2 of them spent their best part of the childhood swimming in those exact waters, both over 6 feet tall themselves. Teddy decides to swim all the way back to EDGARDTOWN in the middle of the night mind you, while Markham and Gargan drove back!! . Thats just for starters

I smell a rat .

Comment

Working...
                          X