The Bogus Diary of a Non-Existent Drug Addict

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bogus Diary of a Non-Existent Drug Addict

Those living in the UK or Europe may not be aware of it, but in the 1970s a sensational diary was published anonymously in the United States under the title “Go Ask Alice.” [The title was taken from the song ‘White Rabbit’ by the San Francisco psychedelic band Jefferson Airplane, who sang about Alice in Wonderland from the viewpoint of hallucinogenic drugs].

The diary, which claimed to be authentic, told the story of a 15-year-old girl who drifted into a life of drugs. There is a vivid scene describing an LSD trip, and another describing her violent rape. Eventually she works as a prostitute and ends up in a mental institution. Some editions of the book contain an endnote alluding to her death from an overdose with the hint of suicide.

Several school boards banned the book, which of course made it a runaway bestseller, especially among teenagers. It sold over 4 million copies and in 1973 it was turned into a tv movie starring, among others, William Shatner.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Go Ask Alice.jpg Views:	0 Size:	12.1 KB ID:	802611

Now for the punchline.

It was all a literary hoax, and last year a book came out unmasking the real author. Who was she? A middle-class Mormon housewife. The lurid descriptions of sex and drugs—scenes that many found so horrifying and credible-- were simply made-up. The same woman went on to publish a whole string of similar ‘cautionary tales,’ now under her own name, including the story of a wayward teenager who became involved in the occult and Satanism. Some believe this book helped launch the “Satanic Panic” of the 1980s.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...alice-1380076/

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...us-best-seller

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/202...l-literary-con

https://nypost.com/2022/07/09/go-ask...ban-housewife/

Although some viewed ‘Go Ask Alice’ with suspicion and skepticism from the beginning—the writing didn’t ring true-- others were utterly convinced, including a reviewer for the New York Times.

As one commentator writes, “Go Ask Alice,” the supposedly real diary of a teen-age drug addict, was really the work of a straitlaced stay-at-home mom.”

Who would have thought such things possible?
    Last edited by rjpalmer; 01-11-2023, 04:50 PM.

Interesting post, Roger.

I have never heard of this book.

I guess the European equivalent of what you describe is if Christiane F turned out to be a housewife living in rural Bavaria, rather than a teenage girl in Gropiusstadt, Berlin and Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo was really a work of fiction.

I know this not to be the case, but it sounds like a very similar book, although WKvBZ is indeed authentic.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post
      Interesting post, Roger.

I have never heard of this book.

I guess the European equivalent of what you describe is if Christiane F turned out to be a housewife living in rural Bavaria, rather than a teenage girl in Gropiusstadt, Berlin and Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo was really a work of fiction.

I know this not to be the case, but it sounds like a very similar book, although WKvBZ is indeed authentic.
      I sense Mr Palmer was probably referencing something else but did not want to be specific for whatever reason.

I must admit Ms Diddles, I think your example of WKvBZ is infinitely more interesting than Mr Palmer's point.
      Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
      JayHartley.com

Comment

Originally posted by erobitha View Post

I sense Mr Palmer was probably referencing something else but did not want to be specific for whatever reason.

I must admit Ms Diddles, I think your example of WKvBZ is infinitely more interesting than Mr Palmer's point.

Ahhhhh, yes!

I see the obvious diary reference now!

I was so blinded by the books resemblance to one of my favourite teenage titles that Roger's intended point went straight over my head.

Here.

On a Ripper forum.

D'oh!

Comment

Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post
          ...in the 1970s a sensational diary was published anonymously in the United States under the title “Go Ask Alice.” [The title was taken from the song ‘White Rabbit’ by the San Francisco psychedelic band Jefferson Airplane,

It sold over 4 million copies and in 1973 it was turned into a tv movie starring, among others, William Shatner.
          Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post
          I was so blinded by the books resemblance to one of my favourite teenage titles that Roger's intended point went straight over my head.

I feel you, Ms Dids. He said the 70's and if I'm going to reminisce about the 70's, it's not Jeff Airplane, or this book or TV show I never heard of.

Instead I reminisce thusly:

Last edited by Paddy Goose; 01-11-2023, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Terrific. I love 'White Rabbit' by Jefferson Airplane.

RJ just needs to 'Go Ask Anne' if this rings any [Tubular] bells with her, or if lightning really was striking again in 1992:

Listen to me, baby, you gotta understandYou're old enough to know the makings of a manListen to me, baby, it's hard to settle downAm I asking too much for yo...

Love,

Caz
            X
            "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
              Terrific. I love 'White Rabbit' by Jefferson Airplane.

RJ just needs to 'Go Ask Anne' if this rings any [Tubular] bells with her, or if lightning really was striking again in 1992:

Listen to me, baby, you gotta understandYou're old enough to know the makings of a manListen to me, baby, it's hard to settle downAm I asking too much for yo...

Love,

Caz
              X
              "White Barrett"
              by Airfferson Jeffplane

One hoax makes you foolish
              and one hoax makes you small
              and the one that Barrett gives you
              Dont do anything at all
              Go ask Cazzie
              when shes ten feet tall

And if you go chasing hoaxes
              and you know your going to fall
              Tell em article writing Barrett
              "hsN't wRitTen aNyting
              aTt aLL"
              Ask Ero
              when he was just small

When the diary - defenders
              Get up and tell you were to go
              and youve just had some kind of "one off"
              and your mind is moving low
              Go ask Barrett
              I think he'll know

When logic and proportion
              have fallen sloppy dead
              And Iconoclast is talking backwards
              and casebook has lost its head
              remember...what Lord Orsam said
              Feed your head
              Feed your head
              Last edited by Abby Normal; 01-14-2023, 08:04 AM.

Comment

I'll have a pint of whatever Abby was drinking at silly o'clock on Saturday morning when he posted that.

Love,

Cazzie
                X

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
                  I'll have a pint of whatever Abby was drinking at silly o'clock on Saturday morning when he posted that.

Love,

Cazzie
                  X
                  LOL. "silly o'clock" good one! (and so true) Feed your head Caz, Feed your head. ; )

Comment

If you have Netflix, this is well worth watching.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Misha.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	802880

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

LOL. "silly o'clock" good one! (and so true) Feed your head Caz, Feed your head. ; )
                      Cheers, Abby. Mine's a Twinings English Breakfast tea with a drop of semi-skimmed and a sweetener.

Love,

Caz
                      X

Comment

I actually quite like songs about time.

There is something poetic in denying it’s existence, despite the evidence that overwhelmingly proves otherwise.

The watch deniers are out of time.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
                        JayHartley.com

Comment

Just to repeat, I really highly recommend that anyone who is interested in history, genealogical research, literary forgeries, the wild world of publishing, and the mystery of human nature to watch Misha and the Wolves.

It is a fascinating documentary and rolls along like a detective story. And it's quite illuminating, too.

Comment

Working...
                          X