Body on Somerton Beach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body on Somerton Beach

This is the title of an episode of "History's Greatest Mysteries" airing TOMORROW (March 9th, 2022) on The History Channel.

I think it is great that this mystery is getting attention in the media. Several years ago, I had never heard of the case
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
    This is the title of an episode of "History's Greatest Mysteries" airing TOMORROW (March 9th, 2022) on The History Channel.

I think it is great that this mystery is getting attention in the media. Several years ago, I had never heard of the case
    Thanks for this pc, I'll definitely catch it.

It's a truly fascinating case.

There are a couple of interesting documentaries on the case available on Youtube, just type in "Somerton Man" into the search box.

Comment

Hi PC
      thanks for sharing-will def watch. Very fascinating mystery. IMHO he is an english or american "spy" who was jessicas old lover. he went to visit her, was rebuffed, and committed suicide.
      "Is all that we see or seem
      but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

dosnt look like its on tonight in the states?! history channel has forged in fire the whole night. what gives?

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

dosnt look like its on tonight in the states?! history channel has forged in fire the whole night. what gives?
          Check Monday, March 14th at 9:00 p.m. on The History Channel.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post

Check Monday, March 14th at 9:00 p.m. on The History Channel.

c.d.
            thanks cd

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Still nothing on the exhumation and DNA testing that I have heard or been able to find in the Adelaide press.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                Still nothing on the exhumation and DNA testing that I have heard or been able to find in the Adelaide press.
                thanks gut
                been wondering about that, since when i heard they exhumed and got dna samples last year that there would be an ID soon.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

so what did everyone think? I thought it was pretty good and it looks like it came to basically the same conclusion Ive reached-that the most likely scenario is that it was a suicide jilted lover type deal. I would add though that I think he was also some sort of "spy".
                  as mentioned hopefully well hear soon on the results of the exhumation and DNA analysis.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

thanks gut
                    been wondering about that, since when i heard they exhumed and got dna samples last year that there would be an ID soon.
                    Not 100% sure it would lead to an ID except perhaps through a site like Ancestry, they were really hoping to link him to a grandaughter, but her lineage seems to be uncertain. But any advancement would be welcome
                    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

so what did everyone think? I thought it was pretty good and it looks like it came to basically the same conclusion Ive reached-that the most likely scenario is that it was a suicide jilted lover type deal. I would add though that I think he was also some sort of "spy".
                      as mentioned hopefully well hear soon on the results of the exhumation and DNA analysis.
                      Just finished watching the program. Absolutely fascinating. So thanks to Pcdunn for the heads up. I agree that the spy/jilted lover suicide explanation is certainly feasible and doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. Both scenarios could be true. But I think I missed something along the way. If he poisoned himself why didn't they find a vial of poison on him? I suppose it is possible that he threw it into the ocean and walked for a ways before dying.

Very strange story.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post

Just finished watching the program. Absolutely fascinating. So thanks to Pcdunn for the heads up. I agree that the spy/jilted lover suicide explanation is certainly feasible and doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. Both scenarios could be true. But I think I missed something along the way. If he poisoned himself why didn't they find a vial of poison on him? I suppose it is possible that he threw it into the ocean and walked for a ways before dying.

Very strange story.

c.d.
                        hi cd
                        no you didnt miss anything, the poison was thought to be an undetectable kind and yes if he had taken poison he had time to throw out the container, if there was one, before he expired.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

I liked the program for putting things in order and examining all of the police theories in order. It was great, as I haven't read any books on this mystery, and have only seen information on this thread and Wikipedia.

My disappointment came with how quickly they glossed over the "American spy" theory as being discredited through DNA not matching.

They ended up with poisoning as a cause of death, and went with suicide as a motive. Seems to fit. I suppose.
                          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                          ---------------
                          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                          ---------------

Comment

Might have been a Melbourne born 43 year old electrical engineer named Carl Webb.

More to come.
                            My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
                              Might have been a Melbourne born 43 year old electrical engineer named Carl Webb.

More to come.
                              thanks DJA
                              so they never exhumed him for the DNA? I thought they had and where in process of analyzing the DNA?

now this? where a professor is using DNA from strands of hair that was caught in the death Mask? WTF? Id say theres a little probem with the provenance then. But I guess well see.. now that theres a name hopefully it pans out.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Working...
                              X