Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Hunt For Bible John - BBC Documentary Series.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hunt For Bible John - BBC Documentary Series.

I have just watched the first part of a terrific documentary about Bible John.

For anyone unfamiliar with the case, Bible John was the name given to a serial killer who murdered three women in galsgow in the late 1960's.

I cannot praise this two part documentary series highly enough, some of the footage is superb, and superbly captures the Glasgow of the late 60's, with all its social problems starkly laid bare.

The series is being shown on BBC1 Scotland, and I'm not entirely sure if it is being shown on the national BBC network, however it is available via BBC iplayer, I attach a link to BBC iplayer.

Watch this documentary, you won't regret it.

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post

For anyone unfamiliar with the case, Bible John was the name given to a serial killer who murdered three women in galsgow in the late 1960's.

I cannot praise this two part documentary series highly enough, some of the footage is superb, and superbly captures the Glasgow of the late 60's, with all its social problems starkly laid bare.

The series is being shown on BBC1 Scotland, and I'm not entirely sure if it is being shown on the national BBC network, however it is available via BBC iplayer, I attach a link to BBC iplayer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00...pisodes/player

Cheers for that one Barn. Looks interesting. It’s another case that here appears to be very few books about. Paul Harrison wrote one called Dancing With The Devil but it’s £35 on Amazon. Wasn’t there some info that surfaced a while ago that didn’t show Harrison in a good light? Then David Wilson wrote one (with Harrison’s help I think) suggesting that Peter Tobin was John. I used to have that one but it went with a purge that I needed to have to make space. So many books gone

Im looking forward to the documentary though. Good spot Barn
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Cheers for that one Barn. Looks interesting. It’s another case that here appears to be very few books about. Paul Harrison wrote one called Dancing With The Devil but it’s £35 on Amazon. Wasn’t there some info that surfaced a while ago that didn’t show Harrison in a good light? Then David Wilson wrote one (with Harrison’s help I think) suggesting that Peter Tobin was John. I used to have that one but it went with a purge that I needed to have to make space. So many books gone

I'm looking forward to the documentary though. Good spot Barn
      Yeah Herlock, it's astonishing that there isn't a definitive, well written book about the case.
      Where's Paul Begg when you really need him!

I would like to know what you think about the documentary, there are loads of duff documentaries out there which ignore facts, invent facts and generally just muddy the water.

Have a good weekend.

Comment

Sigh, can't watch it outside the UK due to rights issues. This is one of the cases I've read a bit about, and like to update myself on when something new comes out. I've not spent a lot of time really organizing what I've learned about it though, and tend to watch and read without note taking. A habit I should break. Oh well, hopefully this will become available somewhere at some point, and if so, hopefully I take my own advice.

- Jeff

Comment

Yeah Herlock, it's astonishing that there isn't a definitive, well written book about the case.
          Where's Paul Begg when you really need him!

I would like to know what you think about the documentary, there are loads of duff documentaries out there which ignore facts, invent facts and generally just muddy the water.

Have a good weekend.
          Hi Barn,

I watched this last night and I thought it was really well done. It gave a really good overview of what life was like then in Glasgow (and this was in 1969! Slums that you could have dropped into various parts of Victorian London with locals accusing them of lowering the tone) Good to hear from locals, ex-police and reporters giving a great sense of what it was like. Especially how some of those women were considered slightly less than respectable for going to Barrowlands. I noticed that criminologist Judith Rowbotham was in it. She was also in the excellent Murder Maps with Don Rumbelow. I’m looking forward to part two. The more documentaries like this the better.

Thanks again for pointing it out Barn
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

I'm Glaswegian born and bred and this case is still remembered by older female relatives as a time of utter terror as prankster boys would whisper bible quotes into their ears while dancing to elicit a shock.

Theories have erred into the crazy with one postulation that it was Jimmy Savile stemming from a hoax fotofit doing the rounds in the 2010s. Plus Savile was in his full Top of the Pops and TV pomp and would have been recognised.

Peter Tobin, as a suspect, has a lot going for it but there was also a witness who is adamant it could not have been him.

Comment

I just read the Wikipedia article on the Bible John case, as I didn't know anything about it. Very interesting, and just as convoluted as some other unsolved serial killer cases.

I hope the documentary turns up on television over here soon.

Does anyone think the daughter story is fake?
              Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
              ---------------
              Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
              ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                I just read the Wikipedia article on the Bible John case, as I didn't know anything about it. Very interesting, and just as convoluted as some other unsolved serial killer cases.

I hope the documentary turns up on television over here soon.

Does anyone think the daughter story is fake?
                Hi Pc, If you are referring to the theory outlined in David Leslie's book, I don't think that many people give it any real credence.

I attach a link to a Zodiac thread that veered off abit to discuss the Bible John case.

I posted in this thread (post #41) which summarises the case against John McInnes.

One correction re my post, It wasn't McInnes who had a hole in one, it was a relative.

Last edited by barnflatwyngarde; 01-31-2022, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X