Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Henry Lee Lucas, Serial Killer or Serial Liar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry Lee Lucas, Serial Killer or Serial Liar?

This is a story well worth sitting through.
    It's on Netflix in 5 parts.
    This story is not so much about serial murder as the extent 'people' (police, lawyers, media, etc.) will go to in support of their firmly held beliefs concerning the guilt of a suspect for which not a shred of evidence is available.

Regards, Jon S.

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
    This is a story well worth sitting through.
    It's on Netflix in 5 parts.
    This story is not so much about serial murder as the extent 'people' (police, lawyers, media, etc.) will go to in support of their firmly held beliefs concerning the guilt of a suspect for which not a shred of evidence is available.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/h...=pocket-newtab
    This was very good. Saw it a few months ago. Cops should’ve been a little more thorough.

Comment

It would be interesting to know whether, from all the murders he falsely confessed to, any of the real killers ever made it known that they were actually responsible.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
        It would be interesting to know whether, from all the murders he falsely confessed to, any of the real killers ever made it known that they were actually responsible.
        I think it was mentioned in part 5 that 20 murders Lucas confessed to were found by DNA to have been committed by others.

I thought it was astounding how the police let Lucas sit with a photograph album of crime scene photo's alone in the sheriff's office. It's not easy to decide whether this was intentional or due to incompetence.
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Yah, the HLL story is a bizarre one, particularly when it gets into the woman claiming to be the girl he was convicted of murdering! It's a good one to watch. While there were a lot of unforced errors, and some bizarre choices made in how they conducted those confessions, I think in part what was happening was the police were so tired and frustrated with these cold-cases that they really wanted to solve, they ended up grabbing at the will-o-the-wisp of hope and let their better judgement stand aside. While no doubt there were some self serving individuals, I do think the vast majority of the police were just desperate to solve these cases and bring resolution to the families and at the time they understood HLL seemed to be responsible for so so many. I was very impressed by the ones that included a made up crime (which HLL confessed to), as a sort of test. I was not impressed with how long that took to cast doubt on his other confessions though. But once people form a belief, they can become resistant to seeing evidence that challenges that belief.

- Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by JeffHamm View Post
            Yah, the HLL story is a bizarre one, particularly when it gets into the woman claiming to be the girl he was convicted of murdering! It's a good one to watch. While there were a lot of unforced errors, and some bizarre choices made in how they conducted those confessions, I think in part what was happening was the police were so tired and frustrated with these cold-cases that they really wanted to solve, they ended up grabbing at the will-o-the-wisp of hope and let their better judgement stand aside. While no doubt there were some self serving individuals, I do think the vast majority of the police were just desperate to solve these cases and bring resolution to the families and at the time they understood HLL seemed to be responsible for so so many. I was very impressed by the ones that included a made up crime (which HLL confessed to), as a sort of test. I was not impressed with how long that took to cast doubt on his other confessions though. But once people form a belief, they can become resistant to seeing evidence that challenges that belief.

- Jeff
            I'm going to have to hold my tongue very firmly here, Jeff...

I'll just say this: Bongo - cough cough - Barrett, Serial Killer Diarist or Serial Liar and Rubbish Confessor?

Love,

Caz
            X
            Last edited by caz; 07-27-2021, 04:56 PM.
            "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Working...
            X