The Voynich Manuscript

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Voynich Manuscript

I think Voynich Manuscript enthusiasts have a lot in common with Ripperologists. Every year or so the media excitedly states that a solution has been found, only to see it exposed quickly as not only wrong, but scientifically illiterate.

Last week the media claimed that a professor from Bristol, England had cracked the Voynich Manuscript in just 2 weeks. Here is a Voynich blog explaining why he didn't.

Been reading Voynich Portal the last few days, and just as in Ripperology the new developments are very marginal. Most of what this guy does is study the text and pictures and try to find commonalities with various orthographic and artistic traditions. For example, he's noted that the constellation Cancer is depicted as a crayfish, not a crab, and he finds that this was common in parts of Germany. Not anything that will crack the cypher (if there is one) but paints a broader picture the way that, say, looking up the life story of a Ripper witness might.

Originally posted by Damaso Marte View Post
    I think Voynich Manuscript enthusiasts have a lot in common with Ripperologists. Every year or so the media excitedly states that a solution has been found, only to see it exposed quickly as not only wrong, but scientifically illiterate.

Last week the media claimed that a professor from Bristol, England had cracked the Voynich Manuscript in just 2 weeks. Here is a Voynich blog explaining why he didn't.

Been reading Voynich Portal the last few days, and just as in Ripperology the new developments are very marginal. Most of what this guy does is study the text and pictures and try to find commonalities with various orthographic and artistic traditions. For example, he's noted that the constellation Cancer is depicted as a crayfish, not a crab, and he finds that this was common in parts of Germany. Not anything that will crack the cypher (if there is one) but paints a broader picture the way that, say, looking up the life story of a Ripper witness might.
    hi DM
    yeah i heard it. I thought it was cracked and all thats left to do is translate, no? the guy apparently figured out its some form of proto-Romance language.

Comment

Hello DM

There’s a lengthy thread on the JTR Forum on the subject. Apologies if you already know this. Anna Morris is doing serious work on the subject. I know next to nothing about it but she certainly does.

https://jtrforums.com/showthread.php...oynich&page=30
      Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 05-18-2019, 09:01 PM.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

hi DM
        yeah i heard it. I thought it was cracked and all thats left to do is translate, no? the guy apparently figured out its some form of proto-Romance language.
        Nope, the guy is a total quack, see the link I posted. I took two linguistics classes in college and even I could tell his "linguistics" was shady - he's apparently a scholar of religious studies who is way out of his element here.

Comment

Working...
        X