No announcement yet.

Favorite fictional early (before 1930) detective poll besides Sherlock Holmes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Price is the most famous radio Saint I think. A book I have says that Templar was portrayed by at least 6 different actors on the medium.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

For Raffles fans, I ran across as parody/pastiche called "Mrs. Raffles" from 1906

The same author also wrote "Sherlock Raffles" about a character who is the son of Sherlock and the grandson of Raffles!
      “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Several of these I've never heard of so I guess that shows how well read I am.

Stan Reid

Comment

Well.I've cast the first vote for Drummond...Absolutely spiffing yarns!....Going back to 'The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes'...I recall Donald Pleasance as 'Carnacki,the Ghost-finder' in that....

Comment

Several great Drummond movies back in the 30s as well.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
              Several great Drummond movies back in the 30s as well.
              And a really bad one in the '60's..........

Comment

I missed that one Steve, apparently to my benefit. The only ones I've seen are those with John Howard and the one with Ray Milland.

Stan Reid

Comment

Richard Johnson in 'Deadlier than the male' and 'Some girls do'...Not his fault...Drummond was just such a pre-war character.....Ronald Colman & Ralph Richardson also played him in the '30's

Comment

Hi Steve:

All I have on DVD are 5 of the Howard movies and the one with Milland.

Drummond was depicted in silent films, audio movies (both color and grayscale), radio as well as television so he had the electric media well covered.

Stan Reid

Comment

Not to mention print, the stage and, I assume, audio "books".

Stan Reid

Comment

Well, at least it looks like Agatha Christie is the favorite author.

Stan Reid

Comment

The only ones of those listed above who are currently "alive" in electro-media are Marple and Poirot on television. Nick Carter was the first to appear via such when he debuted in a 1908 movie.

Stan Reid

Comment

Stan,

I like so many of them for different reasons. Poirot is a sentimental favorite, and Wimsey next, but, really, a mystery lover has a hard time choosing. Out of the choices posted, I chose Hercule first.

Best wishes.
                            "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

For the Poirot coneisseur

Peter Ustinov or David Suchet

Comment

Yes, there are different reasons to like each. Ustinov did have the franchise for some time but have not seen any of those films.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X